Daydreaming

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 9:23pm | IP Logged
Good Morning IF.. Have a cheerful day.. Big smile

visrom IF-Stunnerz
visrom
visrom

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged
Sorry if this has been posted before...

Shivaji Sathyam as ACP PradyumanC.I.D is the longest-running series on Indian television, having had a 12-year uninterrupted run on Sony Entertainment Television (SET) since January 21, 1998, when it first began airing.

It's also the programme with the highest ratings on the channel, currently averaging between 2.8 and 3.

Its actors, or at least the core of the cast who have been a part of the series since its inception, ACP Pradyuman and Inspectors Abhijeet, Daya and Fredericks, are so popular they have become household names.

Earlier this year, SET -- which lags far behind Star Plus, Colours and Zee TV in the Hindi entertainment space -- was airing as many as 50 hours of C.I.D a week, digging into its library to run repeats of past episodes. Talk about flogging a golden goose! SET has since brought down its C.I.D programming to 25 hours or so -- but that's high enough still.

The serial has always been widely watched, but it's only now that SET seems to be waking up to its potential. Around a month ago, the frequency of telecast was increased to twice a week; from the Friday night late slot, C.I.D now has hour-long runs on Friday and Saturday.

Keen to capitalise on the brand, SET also has extensions planned, both on-TV and off it. First off, says Ajith Thakur, SET's executive vice-president and business head, are C.I.D comic books that will hit the markets by year-end. A C.I.D animation series is also in the works, and so is a feature film which will go on the floors early next year, says B P Singh, the serial's creator, producer, and occasional director as well.

Off-air, the C.I.D Gallantry awards, which were given for the first time last year, are to be made into an annual affair, reports Thakur, with a high-profile awards ceremony on either Independence or Republic Day.

Which brings us back to the question -- what explains C.I.D's success, especially since, as a genre, crime thrillers have had very little success on Indian TV? Even SET's own Powder, the crime thriller from Yash Raj productions that was announced with much fanfare in January this year, was taken off air last month.

The main reason, perhaps, is the fact that it's a programme that can be watched by everyone from 10 to 80 years of age, in the A-cities as well as the B-towns. Though crime is the subject, there's very little of violence, or blood, actually shown -- and "no crime against women or children", says Ajay Bhalwankar, SET's programming head.

"The serial enjoys huge traction among the youth," says Niret Alva, chairman of production company Miditech, who confesses he watches it regularly with his two children. "The stories are basic, not too clever, not too smart. Very rarely do you get the feeling that you've come across this idea before. Besides, it's been around for so long that the faces have grown familiar."

Much of the credit for C.I.D's success should go to Singh, and its cast, especially Shivaji Satam who plays ACP Pradyuman.

A veteran of the Marathi stage, Satam has brought a degree of believability to the uni-dimensional character of a no-nonsense police officer who will not rest until the crime is solved, a tough boss for whom duty comes before everything else, and who expects his team to live by the same iron ethic.

"We call him 'Father Hardstone'," says Singh, who first directed him in Ek Shunya Shunya, a hit on Doordarshan in the 1990s that was based on real cases the Mumbai [ Images ] police had worked on.

In reality, says Singh, it is Satam who has held together the actors over the past 12 years through the gruelling 12-hour schedules lasting 20-25 days a month.

And it's not just the actors who haven't changed. Key members of the technical team, too, have remained with the serial for years now -- Bill D'Souza, who heads the team of seven writers, has been around for 10 years, as has executive producer Christabelle D'Souza; Sachindra Vats, the editor, has been around for five years now, and Sanjay Wandrekar has been composing the background music since the very beginning.

Working so long on one show has given the team what Alva calls "the purity of narrow focus", giving it a consistency that partly explains C.I.D's success.

There have been some changes of course -- around six months back, C.I.D started to be filmed in HD format. Work conditions, which were so basic that Satam remembers carrying his own costume and holding lights for other actors, have also improved vastly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The part in red is surprising...!!!!!

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

mallikaBaluDaydreamingBeastInCarnageAditi_97anonymous7DemonStarBhavanabdebasree04sherdilaliNandiniRaizadaa

visrom IF-Stunnerz
visrom
visrom

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged
Also...

In reality, says Singh, it is Satam who has held together the actors over the past 12 years through the gruelling 12-hour schedules lasting 20-25 days a month

Wow...I really appreciate Satam sir. Clap

Edited by visrom - 29 December 2011 at 11:04pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

DaydreamingDemonStardebasree04sherdilali

debasree04 IF-Sizzlerz
debasree04
debasree04

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged
Really Satam Sir is just too generous simple kind of person & i realized this when i saw him...actually he is sooo sweet !!! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

visrom

Daydreaming IF-Dazzler
Daydreaming
Daydreaming

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged
Wow.. Great article visrom.. Seriously, the red lines are really very surprising.. Kudos to satam sir.. Clap
mallikaBalu IF-Dazzler
mallikaBalu
mallikaBalu

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged
Good afternoon all.Smile

Thankyou for sharing the article Visrom.

In reality, says Singh, it is Satam who has held together the actors over the past 12 years through the gruelling 12-hour schedules lasting 20-25 days a month.

It is indeed lucky that the entire CID cast and crew have an older person filled with practical wisdom to work with. People like Sattam sir are rare indeed and no wonder the core 4 have remained with the show regardless of reasons that they tell. A bond like this is rarity in itself .

Now, FW team of writers need to realise the great diamond in their hands and churn better stories so it remains as the show for years more to come. Are the FW people here and listening?Ermm well if they are, a gentle push to the idea that me included a few of us here would love to assist them in churning out good stories SmileWink

Edited by mallikaBalu - 30 December 2011 at 12:01am

sherdilali

anonymous7 IF-Rockerz
anonymous7
anonymous7

Posted: 30 December 2011 at 4:12am | IP Logged
thnx for the article Vis...

well... this shows Satam sir really is a true leader... he leads the team both on & off screen brilliantly... Smile

visrom

astonish IF-Sizzlerz
astonish
astonish

Posted: 30 December 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged
Can someone please tell me one best murder case from CID... the one with no loopholes...no clue for CID to catch the criminal???

I wanna murder my team mateEvil Smile  I am working continuously and he in the name of work from home went for a movie Angry 

Go to top