Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion
Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion

sorta strange (Page 3)

queenbee Goldie
queenbee
queenbee

Posted: 02 April 2005 at 12:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lakshmi_maruthi

I hope god doesn't give such kids to even my worst emenimies..

KidsConfused

Jassi should be around 23, considering she joined Gulmohur right after college (she would be ~21 when she graduated). Isn't there a big difference between the way parents teach right and wrong to a 10 year old and the way they should be communicating with a 23-year old independent girl!?

As parenting styles are very subjective, so too the crux of this argument seems to be decided by our own beliefs and backgrounds on what makes a good parent and a good offspring, on what behaviours are acceptable and which are not.

Personally, my parents encouraged their daughters to grow up and take charge of their lives as soon as possible. We were not encouraged to be answerable to them for ur rights and wrongs - but to ourselves. We were told in our teens that we could marry whoever we pleased as long as he had his basic education (I think they meant 12th passTongue). Billu did not allow her daughter to fly alone to Singapore when she was 22 - my parents put me on a plane, alone, to London when I was 13, to spend my summer hols with their friends. Therefore, I can't identify much with Billu's model of parenting, though I have known a lot of friends who would vouch it exists in their homes.

When you say:

it is only the parents who have the sole responsibility of teaching an offspring the difference between right and wrong. It is upto them to teach them to learn from mistakes. It is upto them to put the fear of the consequences of doing something worng.

Billu did try to teach Jassi the difference between right and wrong. That is exactly what gave Jassi the edge in her life and career. But there is a limit on how much parents can control their childrens' lives. You can only do so much - and no more. If Jassi has made a horrendous mistake, she should be allowed to find her own way to make amends for it.

Also she is so worried about Armaan but not worried that her leaving them at this stage only confirms to them that she is running away from them..

A lot of times, psychiatrists advise warring couples and families to talk to each other and make decisions about the future only after the initial anger has cooled down and the dust has settled. I think Jassi did the right thing by not barging into her home like a little lost girl wanting only to soak up the warmth of her mother's lap and braving the heat of her father's righteous anger only to agree to do whatever he says to win his approval. Jassi is certainly old enough to make her own decisions. I also think that Billu needs to learn that he cannot say hurtful things in anger to alienate his daughter and still expect her to come running back. She should be allowed some time to grieve and to decide how to set things right. Jassi is NOT running away. She is buying time and biding her time until Billu's anger has cooled down and he is willing to listen to her again.

I may have trouble understanding why she needed to become a model in the first place, and lots of other thingsConfusedConfusedConfused (T&DS are too good at confusing us) but I don't think her behavior deserves to be judged so harshly. A girl like Jassi can never forget her parents or her roots. She is on a fierce mission to find out who is behind her family's defamation. Just because she is away from her family should not be any reason for them to lose their faith in her. I am positive that familial bonds are far too strong to let storms like this rip them apart. We have not once seen the Walia family cursing Jassi for staying away - they are lamenting that she did not come and see them, and they do miss and want her back. Even Billu is torn between his ego and his guilt now, as opposed to his flaming anger earlier. It is but natural that seeing Jassi at this stage will make him much more receptive to her words.

pj04 Goldie
pj04
pj04

Posted: 02 April 2005 at 12:26pm | IP Logged
i think you hit the basic of the issue under discussion queenbee......it is all based in parenting style and the relationship between them.
Jyoti_2006 IF-Dazzler
Jyoti_2006
Jyoti_2006

Posted: 02 April 2005 at 12:41pm | IP Logged
Wow!! QB, laks, pj04, ides.. What a great discussion... I really enjoyed each and everybody's point of view...

Go to top