Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Gossip

sheetald IF-Rockerz
sheetald
sheetald

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 1:16pm | IP Logged
Why should boys have all the fun!

Models walk the ramp for Priyadarshini Rao
On the second day of the Lakm Fashion Week, the female models had all the fun wearing trendy prt wear by Priyadarshini Rao, while the male models had to make do with casual blazers and trousers.

Schoolgirl innocence met sporty spontaneity as models took the ramp with carefree abandon.

Priyadarshini declared to the media and buyers at large, that the retro blues of New Orleans, the magical realism of Marquez and a lazy Sunday afternoon siesta inspired her collection.

Leaving aside the siesta that guarantees everyone a huge yawn, the rest of her influences were open to interpretation.

Mumbai's sensibility thought the collection was relaxed, non-fussy yet ultra stylish.

Quirky details like the overcoat tweaked with puff sleeves, kimonos thrown over singlets and track pants with bulging pockets made for an interesting choice for the new age, office-going clan.

Designer love

Hemant Trevedi
Hemant Trevedi
, who's only shown at Fashion Week once in the past seven years, came to take a peek at Wendell Rodricks's dreamy resort-wear collection (he said he didn't have time for Fashion Week this year, as he's working on a European fall/winter line) and the designer was all praise for the Goan.

In fact, he even interrupted Wendell's press conference to talk about how much he loved the line. "Others hide behind heavy embellishments and embroidery, this man knows what the silhouette is all about, and his cuts are gorgeous," said Hemant.

In an industry full of bitchiness and politics, here's to more designer camaraderie (especially since Hemant and Wendell didn't quite see eye-to-eye after the last time they shared a ramp together at Fashion Week 2003).

Out of action

Amrita Arora with sister Malaika
Wendell's muse, Malaika Arora Khan was missing on his ramp this year.

When asked about the bombshell's whereabouts, he replied coyly, "We didn't need her this year.

She was sitting in the audience buying my clothes.

Besides, with the overdose of Bollywood stars yesterday, we didn't need anymore."

Trademark Wendell

Wendell Rodricks with Ujwala Raut
With soft satins, wispy georgettes and layered chiffons, Wendell Rodricks's Isadora Resort wear line ("I live in a place that resembles a resort 365 days a year, so I don't do anything but resort wear"), in whites, greens, and blues had the designer's trademark flowing through its collection (with a splendid Grecianesque foot wear line by Edward Pinto).

With lovely simplicity and a dreamy like flow, the romance and flirty femininity was alive through every flounce, but we're left wondering if anybody without a figure like Ujwala Raut's could carry off the clothes.

Every unwanted flaw, would probably show up through these clothes.

On the flip side, this would be comfortable enough to sleep in, and gorgeous enough to wear for a night out.

Janta janardan: YEH DIL MANGE MORE

I'm the judge: Shilpa Kuperkar, a housewife, reviews Sonam Dubal's collection for MiD Day readers
I was expecting to see a lot more jewellery and embroidery.

This is my first fashion show and I had envisioned something with more glamour — something grander. I thought, I'd see matching jewellery, heavy embroidery and zari work. I didn't really like the fact that the hair was all the same and all tied back. We're women, we should play around with our hair.

The bags they were carrying looked like something you would pack your kids' tiffin boxes in or something you would take to the market.

My favourite outfit of the show was the jacket that had golden embroidery all over it. The sarees were nice too (both the moti-coloured and black) — since that's all I primarily wear.

But the stitched-on flowers were too bold for my tastes. Also, they weren't draped properly. Overall, I had a good experience, just wish I got more razmatazz.

Our take: WE ARE IN LOVE

Surreal romance: Nina Manuel presents a Sonam Dubal creation
It might have something to do with designer Sonam Dubal's part Maharashtrian-part Sikkimese Tibetan roots, or his eye for something insanely spiritual.

But his collection titled Cosmic Romance was indeed a surreal romance in the making.

Inspired by Shamanistic rituals, the range was single-mindedly focussed on Pan-Asian influences that were reflected in the very first garment — a crme map print shawl with etching print wrap dress, to the last one.

The overcoats, his trademark, were smart enough to pair with distressed jeans.

His eternal favourite, the kimono, is still around, and the new entrant is the use of bandhini.

When the entire world and its grandmother is going ga-ga over international "influences", Sonam decided to stick with wrap around skirts and dhoti pants that we loved.

Ughhh!

Flop show: Bennu Sehgall with Arbaaz Khan
Bennu Sehgall and Maheka Mirpuri's show was probably the worst most have seen since Fashion Week began seven years ago.

Their large rock-like embellishments and over the top embroidery, made even Carol Gracias's wardrobe mishap seem mild in comparison.

And the almost crow-like head gear in Bennu's show had us hiding our faces in embarrassment (or were the designers trying to distract the audience, so they wouldn't pay attention to the rest of the clothing disasters).

And to add to an already washed-out show, the two had Arbaaz Khan and Sushama Reddy as their showstoppers.

With a tie around her neck and Arbaaz by her side, this was Bennu's phaasi ka funda!

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top