Other Shows
Other Shows

Asian Idol!

II&HP fan Senior Member
II&HP fan
II&HP fan

Posted: 01 April 2005 at 8:13am | IP Logged

Hey guys, I just found this:

After Indian Idol, now get ready for Asian Idol And by the year end, the contest could happen right here, says creator Freemantle Media

Mumbai, February 11: WHAT if aplaa Abhijeet Sawant was also the pride of Asia? For the country's first Indian Idol, this dream is not as far-fetched as you think.

Fremantle Media, creators of the globally popular Idols package, intends to put together its maiden Asian Idol contest by the year-end.

''We're looking at bringing together winners from Asian countries, Australia and New Zealand,'' said Gavin Wood, head of production for Asia. And he hints that the event may take place in India.

Three lakh participants moved Indian Idol to the head of the table in Asia and the country saw the largest turnout across the region in the audition phase. The production house is eyeing a world record with Season 2.

Though the format is uniform, the Indian experience was unique for the makers.

''While in Europe, you don't have to worry about people falling down from heat stroke, here we had to arrange for lots of shade and medical personnel on call, '' laughed Wood.

But, despite the publicity blitzkrieg, the parent company has emerged a lost leader—they haven't made a penny in profits. If international trends are anything to go by, here's what we can expect in Season 2.

''Traditionally, neither the production company, nor the network makes any money in Season 1, breaking even only the second time round,'' said Wood.

The sole Idol in the world that's actually singing in figures is American Idol, because it's transmitted around the world.

''Globally, reality shows are not profitable, purely because of the manhours invested,'' he adds. Citing trends again, the talent bar is expected to rise in the second set, as is polling turnout.

And despite rumours of replacements, they certainly intend to bring together the Anu-Sonu-Farah trio yet again.

The company already runs several successful formats here. Lets Make A Deal was re-invented as Khulja Sim Sim on Star Plus, and He Man on Star One continues to attract female catcalls.

And they'd love to give away more. ''I think the mass-oriented quiz format would do well in India too,'' said Wood. Any takers?

Wow! Isnt it cool? I cant wait!

Edited by II&HP fan - 01 April 2005 at 8:41am

-misha IF-Sizzlerz
-misha
-misha

Posted: 02 April 2005 at 5:24am | IP Logged
thanx for the article
*Shona* IF-Rockerz
*Shona*
*Shona*

Posted: 02 April 2005 at 5:35am | IP Logged
thanx for the article...sounds cool!Smile