Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Down Melody lane (Page 3)

Qwest IF-Rockerz
Qwest
Qwest

Banned for Advertising

Posted: 31 March 2006 at 12:10am | IP Logged

Another evergreen Suman gem that I still love Another evergreen song of her Chale jaa chale jaa chale jaa jahaan pyaar mile (Jahaan Pyar Miley, 1969) Anyway, no matter how much we discuss and argue about her career, status, popularity, and opportunities, the fact is she was an excellent Singer and had a fairly illustrious career studded with several hits. She sang with almost all big composers of her time and handled her assignments and career moves well. She was also diplomatic and professional and never had any problem with anyone, as far as I know. She must be satisfied and happy with whatever she achieved in the face of such stiff competition from Mangeshkar sisters. She did her best and could not have done any better, and I am happy for her. I remember a black-white advertisement by HMV in Filmfare in late '70s. I guess it was about some to-be-released albums and it featured photographs of all great singers in a cluster. The singers were Rafi, Mukesh, Lata, Kishore, K.L. Sehgal, Suraiya, Asha, Geeta Dutt, Hemant Kumar, Manna Dey, Talat, Shamshad Begum, Mahendra K, and Suman. That HMV chose Suman as one of the singers for their tribute albums in those days bears testimony to her greatness and appeal.

Edited by Qwest - 31 March 2006 at 12:11am

Qwest IF-Rockerz
Qwest
Qwest

Banned for Advertising

Posted: 02 April 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged

India's melody queen regrets she never
take to classical singing

NEW DELHI, Mar 21: India's melody queen Lata Mangeshkar, who has sung over 20,000 songs and won more lifetime achievement awards than she cares to remember, has only one regret: That she did not seriously take

to classical singing.

Lata, who is receiving her Padma Vibhushan early next week from President K R Narayanan, says that this is the main reason why she has not taken a retirement from singing as she had once planned. In fact, she points out that it was her spiritual guru Shri Jammujee Maharaj who asked her to concentrate on classical singing.

In a two-part interview on the programme 'Ru-ba-ru' on Zee TV, the singer who has became a legend in her lifetime said that she now wanted to sing Srimad Bhagwat Gita, Kabir, Surdas, and Tulsidas. 'In my career, this is the only vaccuum which bothers me. If I would have started it earlier, it would have been better as it is very tough now, but I will try my level best,' she added.

Lata had begun singing at the tender of age of 13 when her father Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar who ran a touring drama group died suddenly. Asked why she did not marry, she said 'I was so busy with my work that it never occurred to me. I had to take care of my nine-member family and i was slogging for that only. I am happy the way I am. I do not feel any loneliness'.

Lata denied that she had ever had any differences with her sister Asha or had impeded her career. She said 'if I had not allowed Asha to grow, how did she reach this position.'

She reiterated that she had helped new singers and had even given a song to Suman Kalyanpur after having rehearsed it. 'I know how good or bad I am. I know whether I harmed someone or not. Instead of denying these stories, I concentrate on My Pooja.'

About differences with music directors, she admitted that she was known as a 'Brawler' and often lost her cool. Adding that there were many reasons for these fights, she said she does not get angry any more.

She added that there were many difficulties about being Lata Mangeshkar. 'You need to tolerate a lot, you need to listen a lot. Sometimes I pray to my god that in my next birth I should not be Lata Mangeshkar. I prefer to be a boy born in any family of Maharashtra where I can lead a comfortable life.' (UNI)

Edited by Qwest - 02 April 2006 at 9:19am

Go to top