Debate Mansion

A Little arrogance -Catalyst for success? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 7

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 7
Page 4 Page 7

insouciance

IF-Rockerz

insouciance

Posted: 30 September 2006 at 11:21pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Neil Diamond

As they say "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder". Arrogance is that trait of a person which when crosses that thin line of "being self-confident", surfaces and is seen by others as "Arrogance"much like beauty.

To one whats beautiful may not be to another person's eyes. Same goes with Arrogance.

Its how I take the self-confidence and self-belief in a person to construe it to be arrogance. It more depends on how that person displays his confidence and self-belief.

Aparna: for once I agree with you w.r.t. Arpita. It was her self-belief, her self-confidence in her singing/training coupled with her Army background which did not gel well with the public as much as with Javed Akhtar too.

However, w.r.t SRK, its his over-confidence or his way of conveying it that makes one see shades of arrogance in him.

Wonderfully said Neil DiamondClap

The line demarcating self confidence and arrogance is very thin indeed,and most of the times,one unknowingly crosses it...and it completely depends on how people construe it...

I find SRK to be supercilious,especially with quotes like "I'm the ronaldino of cinema,and I dont think any new actor can outthrow me,I am the best".....But I have friends who find that either "tongue in cheek" or just feel that SRK would have meant it as a jokeConfused...SOme feel that Its always good to think that one are the best,only then will one sustain the numero uno postion,some feel that SRK condescends to his colleagues.....But,these are all opinions,different ways in which a particular statement can be construed!...and variety is the spice of lifeTongue

Fully knowing one's potential,and believing in oneself and thus working hard towards ones goals  is a connotation of confidence,but being too pompous and feeling that no one else is good,and that every work is a peice of cake and thus procrastinating is a connotation on over-confidenceOuch...

and another misconception is that successful people are always arrogant....Personally,I know of a mathematics teacher,who is extremely learned,but just couldnt cater to the students,because he would find it somewhat of an infra dig to explain every step in a solution..he would prefer to skip steps,something which  even the assiduous students(who are ignoramuses in the subject,and thus wouldnt understand if the teacher skips steps) couldnt keep up with his alacrity and pace..and what was worse was that this gentleman used to castigate the students,asking "you dont know even this"...Dead....hell,Students come to you because they dont know the subjectAngry......and there is another old man,who is no less learned than the other teacher,but who was so down to earth,and so approachable,that every student loved him..This old teacher was devoid of all arrogance,all high handedness....Clap....

I have noticed that the arrogant and egoistic lot arent liked by many...Those people who are a tad bit arrogant are surely not diabolical,but its just that they dont come across as affable..They come acorss as a tad insolent....They many a times ooze condescention  and loftiness  Confused...and many a times offend those,who are suffering from an inferiority complex(there are loadsssss of such people tooOuch).....

Thus is a modicum of arrogance a sine qua non for success...Definitely NOT....There are so many,very humble and down to earth people,who have been extremely successful.....Is confidence a desideratum ....Definitely YES!Thumbs Up...

Edited by Buffie - 30 September 2006 at 11:24pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A Little arrogance -Catalyst for success? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

*Shona*

IF-Veteran Member

*Shona*

Posted: 01 October 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged
Over confidence & over ignorance will both lead to failure .. if not today .. eventually they will.

I think a fine balance between the two is good.

Although I agree with Buffie on the point that many humble people are very successful. Example: Lata Mangeshkar.

However, my personal belief is that a little ignorance will not hinder your success. It will only help. Smile

ashi_sweetie

ashi_sweetie

Posted: 01 October 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged

Originally posted by J.

Over confidence & over ignorance will both lead to failure .. if not today .. eventually they will.

I think a fine balance between the two is good.

Although I agree with Buffie on the point that many humble people are very successful. Example: Lata Mangeshkar.

However, my personal belief is that a little ignorance will not hinder your success. It will only help. Smile

ya thats correct it happens to me sometimes and u know what they say sometimes curiousity kills the cat (LOL) first time when somebody told me that i was so surprised i didnt had a clue what that person was talking about

A r y a n

IF-Sizzlerz

A r y a n

Posted: 01 October 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged
I believe having a little bit of arrogance is not wrong.Its just having faith in yourself.Of course being over confident,now thats not right!

yourmombiatch

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 01 October 2006 at 10:20am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 01 October 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Hi All!!!
I always felt intelligent people are little bit proud and arrogant.Its true in most of the cases.But I was proved wrong seeing a person who is modest,not at all arrogant who is highly succesful and could'nt resist to become fida on him Embarrassed .Only from that time I tried to change my attitude ,not all the intelligent people are arrogant or all arrogant people are not intelligent.Self confidence of a person may be arrogance to another person,,its a relative factor.
But (Intelligence+Arrogance)= Successful person Clap
(Intelligence+Modesty)-Arrogance= Lovable person Embarrassed
So much for now,
Cheers,
Mythili

Nice Equations Mythili!! 

Edited by mermaid_QT - 22 February 2007 at 7:06pm

Selina

IF-Sizzlerz

Selina

Posted: 01 October 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by loonytunes

I don't think arrogance is anything to be proud of or something that's necessary for success.

Arrogance is when someone feels that they're better than anyone and everyone else around them and that only they deserve whatever they're competing for. Self-confidence is when someone considers themselves capable of winning and relies on their own calibre. There is a difference; A very thin line that many of us cross. To me, arrogance is not acceptable. Arrogance is considering yourself superior to others, whereas self-confidence is believing in one's own abilities without under-estimating anyone else's.

Unfortunately, I think I have a streak of arrogance in me ConfusedLOL

love,
LT

I totally agree!! Arrogance isnt something to be proud of.. however one should definitely have some self-confidence. One can never suceed with a low self esteem!

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 October 2006 at 11:18pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top