Debate Mansion

A Little arrogance -Catalyst for success?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 7

Page 1
Page   of 7
Page 2 Page 7

s2v2

Groupbie

s2v2

Posted: 29 March 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged
I feel, a little arrogance can actually act as a catalyst for success. It is a universal feeling that arrogance is a wrong virtue. But for me, arrogance is a realisation of one's own abilities and having faith in them. No doubt, excess of it is totally unacceptable, but if present in the right measure, it can help one achieve what others cant. It gives you the edge and a killer instinct. Personally I enjoy watching someone say "I am the Best"...  I have noticed some of the most successful people do the same. Take for example SRK or for that matter Sourav Ganguly... Traditionally we are a submissive society and such people are not liked much (the latter being the best example). We like the Tendulkars and Dravids - the quite persona... I personally love to see a winner say "I deserved to win" rather than "Today was my lucky day"...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "A Little arrogance -Catalyst for success?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 29 March 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by s2v2

I feel, a little arrogance can actually act as a catalyst for success. It is a universal feeling that arrogance is a wrong virtue. But for me, arrogance is a realisation of one's own abilities and having faith in them. No doubt, excess of it is totally unacceptable, but if present in the right measure, it can help one achieve what others cant. It gives you the edge and a killer instinct. Personally I enjoy watching someone say "I am the Best"...  I have noticed some of the most successful people do the same. Take for example SRK or for that matter Sourav Ganguly... Traditionally we are a submissive society and such people are not liked much (the latter being the best example). We like the Tendulkars and Dravids - the quite persona... I personally love to see a winner say "I deserved to win" rather than "Today was my lucky day"...

I completely agree with you . I remember commenting this while watching American Idol and comparing it with Indian Idol/Fame Gurukul . In the interview with the judges , the American contestants would apear confident when they would say they are the best . Ofcourse there's a line one needs to draw and not come across as too pompous !! While the Fame Gurukul contestants would whine and say , "i think the other contestant was better than me ". It apears they are being "humble" and we as Indians appreciate that quality to "confidence" a lot more as you rightly said we as a race are "submissive"!!

I always liked "Arpita" who would come across as arrogant , while others hated that quality about her !! Well why not , you are in a contest to pick the best . Why should i pick a whiner if i was a judge . If a contestant told me " i was n't as good as Shamit Bhaiya" I'd say good then you are out , as you your self don't believe in your self !!

Edited by Aparna_BD - 29 March 2006 at 12:45pm

s2v2

Groupbie

s2v2

Posted: 29 March 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged

I completely agree with you . I remember commenting this while watching American Idol and comparing it with Indian Idol/Fame Gurukul . In the interview with the judges , the American contestants would apear confident when they would say they are the best . Ofcourse there's a line one needs to draw and not come across as too pompous !! While the Fame Gurukul contestants would whine and say , "i think the other contestant was better than me ". It apears they are being "humble" and we as Indians appreciate that quality to "confidence" a lot more as you rightly said we as a race are "submissive"!!

I always liked "Arpita" who would come across as arrogant , while others hated that quality about her !! Well why not , you are in a contest to pick the best . Why should i pick a whiner if i was a judge . If a contestant told me " i was n't as good as Shamit Bhaiya" I'd say good then you are out , as you your self don't believe in your self !!

yes, i too felt the same while watching saregamapa... the episode where vinit said "hume thoda to pata hai hum kya gaa rahe hain"... it raised so much wrath... one even forgets he is a kid and it maynot be arrogance at all - just a flurry of a moment... but people dont like to hear such things... to me it shows self belief!!

Edited by s2v2 - 29 March 2006 at 12:54pm

Signora2

Goldie

Signora2

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged

a touch of arrogance here and there does no harm, infact it is quite alluring, we are all touched by it in more than one way.
Sharukh is a classic case, here is this actor with a degree in masscommunication from Delhi Univ,  hailing from a family of freedom fighters has bollywood dreams, pledges to rule Mumbai and manages to become the badhsah of film industry.

When he reiterates he is popular, it smacks of arrogance but at the same time he does it so innocently almost as if being aplogetic about the trappings that come with the stardom.
In an instant he manages to convey, look! I have reached the place where no one could but even you too can.
          Arrogance comes with good breeding, a sound background and your ability to prove yourself. In his initial years SRK was mocked by top stars yet he persisted. He is well read and has deep knowledge about the various facets of film making, yet maintains he is an entertainer to the core as such divorces himself of any obligation that a society may force him. What you see is what you get fits perfectly for SRK.
               It has been rightly said that in our culture submission to authority is encouraged, and ppl like SRK and others come as a breath of fresh air.   

Edited by Signora2 - 30 March 2006 at 7:36am

s2v2

Groupbie

s2v2

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Signora2

a touch of arrogance here and there does no harm, infact it is quite alluring, we are all touched by it in more than one way.
Sharukh is a classic case, here is this actor with a degree in masscommunication from Delhi Univ,  hailing from a family of freedom fighters has bollywood dreams, pledges to rule Mumbai and manages to become the badhsah of film industry.

When he reiterates he is popular, it smacks of arrogance but at the same time he does it so innocently almost as if being aplogetic about the trappings that come with the stardom.
In an instant he manages to convey, look! I have reached the place where no one could but even you too can.
          Arro gance comes with good breeding, a sound background and your ability to prove yourself. In his initial years SRK was mocked by top stars yet he persisted. He is well read and has deep knowledge about the various facets of film making, yet maintains he is an entertainer to the core as such divorces himself of any obligation that a society may force him. What you see is what you get fits perfectly for SRK.
         &nbs p;     It has been rightly said that in our culture submission to authority is encouraged, and ppl like SRK and others come as a breath of fresh air.   

ClapClapClap  thats an extension to the point i am making

s2v2

Groupbie

s2v2

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by loonytunes

I don't think arrogance is anything to be proud of or something that's necessary for success.

Arrogance is when someone feels that they're better than anyone and everyone else around them and that only they deserve whatever they're competing for. Self-confidence is when someone considers themselves capable of winning and relies on their own calibre. There is a difference; A very thin line that many of us cross. To me, arrogance is not acceptable. Arrogance is considering yourself superior to others, whereas self-confidence is believing in one's own abilities without under-estimating anyone else's.

Unfortunately, I think I have a streak of arrogance in me ConfusedLOL

love,
LT

Well, i dont think there is anything wrong in one thinking they are better than everyone else provided that belief is justified... to be arrogant, one has to have something in them - else they look foolish LOL  to me a touch of arrogance gives a pep up in life!!

mist

Groupbie

mist

Posted: 31 March 2006 at 5:32am | IP Logged
I think a dash of arrogance is a must. These days, more so in professional circumstances, I find that capable arrogance inspires awe and respect.

It shows you are confident and ready to challenge someone who contests your worth.

But of course, it is difficult for an indian mindset to accept such a person as a nice guy. More so in the case of ladies.

qazifan

Groupbie

qazifan

Posted: 31 March 2006 at 10:40pm | IP Logged
arrogant (ar'?-g?nt)
adj.
Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others: an arrogant contempt for the weak.

The above is not a desirable quatily, me thinks. Self confidence, now that is another beast altogether.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top