India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

My conversations with God

sheetald IF-Rockerz
sheetald
sheetald

Posted: 29 March 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged

Urmila Matondkar and Ashmit Patel, whose Banaras releases soon, gab  on about their spiritual quotient

Banaras — A Mystic Love Story deals with the relationship between humans and God. An atmosphere of unrest settles in the otherwise peaceful city, when Shwethambari, an upper caste Brahmin falls for Soham, a low caste mystic. Urmila Matondkar and Ashmit Patel, who star in the film, talk about their religious beliefs and practices…

Urmila Matondkar

Are you religious?
I won't call myself overtly religious. Religion is a way of life and I don't like to be over-the-top about it.

Your first impression of Varanasi?
Frenzied movie buffs and screaming fans. The real feeling of the place slowly sinks in when you start living there.  

Other religious places you have visited?
Whenever I'm travelling, I make it a point to visit the local temples and churches. I have been to the Balaji temple in Tirupati, and the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

Do you pray everyday?
Yes, I pray to Lord Ganesh everyday. There are no particular prayers I chant. It's more of a conversation I have with God. My family deity is Mangeshi, an incarnation of Lord Shiva.

What religious rituals do you practice?
I don't follow any rituals. I have tremendous faith in the Almighty and that's what matters.

Did you visit the temples in Varanasi?
I have visited almost all the temples there. It was a beautiful experience, as you can have a glimpse of the other side of your own life away from the usual drudgery of daily life. It humbled me, made me feel closer to myself and re-established my faith. 

Is there any particular temple that you visit in Mumbai?
I have been visiting the local places of worship but not any specific shrine or temple.

Have you ever been inside a church or mosque?
My faith has prompted me to visit quite a few churches and mosques.

Are you spiritually inclined?
I've never tapped that side of me. However, I intend to explore it at some point.

Have you read the relgious discourses of Tulsidas, Kabir or Buddha?
I have not.

Have you ever thought of enrolling in an Art of Living course?
No, I don't see myself doing that ever in my life.

Ashmit Patel

Are you religious?
I'm not religious. I believe in humanity more than any religion. I'm more bent towards spirituality and must say it has transformed me.

Your first impression of Varanasi?
I didn't believe in the magical powers rampant in any holy place till I visited Banaras. A series of significant incidents reaffirmed my faith in the strong positive energy natural to any holy city. Also, it felt like boarding a time machine and going back to a bygone era.  

Other religious places you have visited?
The places that I have been so far are Belur, Halebid and Shravan Belgola in Karnataka. And, of course, Shirdi.

Do you pray everyday? Is there any particular prayer you chant?
I pray every morning, after a shower. Also, I light incense sticks for all the gods in our mandir. The exercise helps me draw positive energy. But there are no mantras that I chant. I confide my feelings in God. 

Do you pray to any particular deity?
We have a collection of Hindu gods and goddesses in our mandir and I pray to all of them.

What religious rituals do you practice?
None. I don't believe in rituals.

Did you visit the temples in Varanasi?
During my stay there, I visited a lot of temples, including noted ones like the Vishwanath Temple, which is considered the earthly abode of Lord Shiva, and the Sankat Mochan Temple. Also, my visit to Sarnath, where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment, left an impact on me. 

Is there any particular temple you visit in Mumbai?
I have not been visiting any particular temple here.

Have you ever been inside a church or mosque?
I visit the Mt Mary Church in Bandra quite often and it leaves me rejuvenated. I haven't been to a mosque, but I plan to visit Haji Ali soon.

Are you spiritually inclined?
Completely. I was always inclined to it.

Have you read the teachings of Tulsidas, Kabir or Buddha?
I have been reading The Transformed Mind by Renuka Singh, simply to gauge the philosophy that Buddhism
preaches.

Have you ever thought about enrolling for an Art of Living course?
I really don't know much about it. If I feel I can gain anything from it, I might enroll. I'm very open-minded and would want to have a taste of everything.  

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index