India-Forums

Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

DOTW: EXACT CONDITIONS OF 'NAATA PRATHA' IN RAJASTHAN

Sargesh IF-Dazzler
Sargesh
Sargesh

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 6:27am | IP Logged
Many of us not completly understood about naata pratha. So i have collected info abt it as i am resident of rajsthan from my elders. And i got shocked to know that my great grand mother was also brought by the means of naata. They told that by seeing various failures in marriages and to renew life of Bal-vidhvas our ancestors made naata pratha.
In wich if a woman's husband is dead or she is not happy with her husband she can go with any other person by her choice and live with him without the process of marriage. Becoz a strong belief in rajasthan that a woman takes saat phera in her whole life with only one person. Thats why widow remarriage is difficult in rajput community. I like to add (i am not breaking rules if i am becoz i am only conveying an info) in upper casts like rajputs, brahmins etc naata is not allowed. So later on it was proclaimed by girl's previous in laws that we have feeded her, given her clothes, jewelries and spended money on marriage so we shud get some 'HARZANA'. That form of money is paid by girl's next in laws and it is called JHAGDA LENA. Many women are benfited from it my great grand mom and many of ladies. But the problem arised that people took it in sense of money, profit etc. Yes it is right potrayed in balika vadhu that a woman has no right over property, children etc. Becoz she is herself a property. So people unwillingly sold their wives to get money. And the case of bal vidhavas they never get a status of wife not allowed to sit in religious works with their husbands. And today is a day where marriages are not stable what we think about naata. If any mistake done by that lady she is being sent to her father. As her father not capable of owing her then he again send to new naata. If not given by him girl is stripped or some other punishment is done upon them. And if children borned then she has to leave them if she goes to another naata. That is the harsh reality of naata pratha. It is not successful in today's society.

Case of phooli:- cv's failed to potray naata pratha. It is as not cruel as shown like that is the serial. Naata is not done for surrogation. May be done but her in laws have no right to separate a child from a mother. This condition may be true if phooli willingly wants brake the relationship and wants new naata then she has to leave baby. Otherwise everything is correct. If phooli's in laws don't want to take phooli then it is not permitted to seprate a one month old baby from his mother. This topic is not potraited correctly. It is shown extra cruel. We shud appreciate BV to show such type of customs but they can potray it in other way.
I hope u all understood.

Edited by Sar-naksh-gesh - 17 December 2011 at 9:52am

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Websiestuti..mmishra1sudssDr3viLhookedMisseshatiny15

sudss Goldie
sudss
sudss

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged
thanks for all the info... by the way, wer eu having another id earlier?  i remember some one else with a similar id speaking so authoritatively about naata even before BV CVs took it up.
hooked IF-Dazzler
hooked
hooked

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged
Considering how saat pheras used be considered so sacred that they were supposed to last saat janam tak...it sort of makes sense to not be able to legally wed again IN EARLIER TIMES.

But women r not considered property anymore, so it makes sense to allow them freedom to make a fresh naata out of the family.

Imagine if family heirlooms like old jewels were being passed onto each new bahu as she came in the house, and that bahu decides to take along these khandaani zewar to her new naata - how would that family feel ?

Hence one can see how the "Jhagda LENA" rasam must have evolved.

Thanks a lot Sar Naksh ! Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Websietiny15

Sargesh IF-Dazzler
Sargesh
Sargesh

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sudss

thanks for all the info... by the way, wer eu having another id earlier? i remember some one else with a similar id speaking soauthoritativelyabout naata even before BV CVs took it up.
ya even before when phooli was send to her in laws as naata some1 asked what is it. Then i had explained. By the way i hav changed my username ny that id only.
Sargesh IF-Dazzler
Sargesh
Sargesh

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hooked

Considering how saat pheras used be considered so sacred that they were supposed to last saat janam tak...it sort of makes sense to not be able to legally wed again IN EARLIER TIMES.

But women r not considered property anymore, so it makes sense to allow them freedom to make a fresh naata out of the family.

Imagine if family heirlooms like old jewels were being passed onto each new bahu as she came in the house, and that bahu decides to take along these khandaani zewar to her new naata - how would that family feel ?

Hence one can see how the "Jhagda LENA" rasam must have evolved.

Thanks a lot Sar Naksh !Smile
ya but she can't take zewars with her but in laws can claim that we have given her food, clothes, shelter etc. And we have spent for marriage so we want money. That is taken in the form of JHAGDA.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

tiny15

stuti.. Senior Member
stuti..
stuti..

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged

Yesterday I have posted similar impression about Cvs take on the custom elsewhere. I agree the picture is unilateral. But danger of abuse is real too...

Posted: 16 December 2011 at 12:50pm

Cvs are perhaps selectively showing half picture. Naata pratha has nowhere been mentioned as an exclusively surrogacy oriented custom- not even its prime aim (except of course in some individual instances). So what Cvs panchyat dialogue was hinting is perhaps entirely oriented for Cvs need towards the present track or their take on this custom (unless, in some particular pockets of Rajasthan, if this happens to be the prime aim...then more knowledgeable person may mention such an area).

Root of the colloquial word 'Naata' means a 'relationship'...where the convenience is more to circumvent messy 'divorces'-untangling from existing marriages (frequently by women wanting to walk away from an unhappy marriage, especially when she has found a supportive paramour!) or simply to bypass a ritual hindu marriage (as seen in some instances of Dewarvatu- marriage of a widow to younger brother-in-law, where the aim may be as diverse as paucity of brides, concern for existing children or simply preservation of family property). This custom is almost unthinkable in higher castes like Brahmin, Rajputs or Jains.

But as with almost all customs, patriarchal society, especially in rural areas, hugely exploits this 'inherently diabolic to civil society's marriage institution norms' custom in subjugating a hapless/voiceless woman of a poor or greedy family like a trading commodity. In such cases the woman has almost no voice or rights unless she approaches the legal system (as remote as a distant dream perhaps), which of course should remedied the trampled rights. But then even greater menace is the routing boycott by a spiteful, vindictive rural community led by upstaged Panch (community elders). But then financial exploits occurs in higher caste too, remember Gehna's capitulation (assuming Singhs being a higher caste)- saving relief is legal hindu marriage!

Codes and customs around this custom must be diverse from region to region- am confused and ignorant on many aspects- especially legal ones ( can not Phooli complaint her unwillingness from the outset or later capitulation and betrayals?). Hope Cvs will unfold an educating picture.

P.S. In a side note, though here first wife is deliberately drawn as a commanding presence. What hold she would have on a capricious family like Bharat's is not known. In practice, childless woman would face even greater ignominy and humiliation by the likes of bharat's and from the incoming 'naatin' wife who bears a child- and then held in higer value, as well as source of further progenies!

Edited by stutishah - 17 December 2011 at 10:00am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

mmishra1veil_of_roses

.Prometheus. IF-Veteran Member
.Prometheus.
.Prometheus.

Posted: 17 December 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged

Please post all discussions about the Natha Pratha in the thread that has been provided for this discussion

Topic Closed

Juleka

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top