Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

amy22 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by: broken heart

LOL Amy I think I'm the opposite of you.  I pretty much get the really, terribly sanskrit-hindi words but not the hindustani/urdu counterparts.  It's a tragedy that the beauty of urdu poetry is lost on me   I could kill to learn urdu though... the "satrangi re" song from Dil Se which I so love is written mostly in urdu, I think, and half of it is lost on me!

When I watch Pakistani Dramas, I know they're just speaking Urdu as they ONLY use Urdu words... but when I'm watching Indian Dramas... I'm like all lost... never know whether this word's Urdu or Hindi... but sum words are obviously Hindi cuz one only hears them in Indian shows or movies and I dunno their meaning.

Edited by amy22 - 17 years ago
ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: psawyer

Man, Urdu is so much more poetical than Hindi...while Hindi is no doubt soft-spoken (esp. when compared to Shudh Punjabi!), Urdu is definitely the language that is spoken in whispers and is soooo polite and beautiful...

Urdu is like the 'jaan' of eternal romance..**sigh** just listen to Ghulam Ali's ghazals and you'll know what I mean! It's just tailor-made stuff for Rishabh and Prerna!
amy22 thumbnail
Cool... I always thought people in India speak Hindi like we speak Urdu... today I learnt sumthing new!! My mum should be happy I'm learning from the internet.

psawyer thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I don't pretend to be an expert on Urdu, far from it, my native tongue is Hindi...but Hindi has become (thanks to the cosmpolitan nature of India and the fact that we have many dialects) a crossbreed of words and tongues. Shudh Hindi, i.e. perfect, unaltered Hindi is beyond even me, as is Sanskrit, but the Hindi of today's India is a mix of Urdu, Punjabi and other dialects and languages...
amy22 thumbnail
Urdu in Pakistan is just Urdu and it's spoken on daily-bais... but Urdu itself is a mixture of different languages like Persian, Turkish, Arabic etc.

broken heart thumbnail

Originally posted by: amy22

Cool... I always thought people in India speak Hindi like we speak Urdu... today I learnt sumthing new!! My mum should be happy I'm learning from the internet.

Are you kidding me?  Most of the people in India don't even speak one common language, even Hindi.  Actually Hindi is my "second" language... so yeah Hindi of contemporary India and especially Indian movies and modes of entertainment is more like the Hindustani that Nehru et al. dreamt of in yesteryears. 

psawyer thumbnail
Whats your first language Shweta? English?
broken heart thumbnail

Well realistically it should be English cuz that's what I speak, write, understand, etc. etc. the best. But technically my mother tongue is Telugu. So yeah that doesn't help me understand Urdu or Hindustani AT ALL

so Hindi is my "second," English my third, French my fourth language... Dear LORD!

Edited by broken heart - 17 years ago
ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: psawyer

I don't pretend to be an expert on Urdu, far from it, my native tongue is Hindi...but Hindi has become (thanks to the cosmpolitan nature of India and the fact that we have many dialects) a crossbreed of words and tongues. Shudh Hindi, i.e. perfect, unaltered Hindi is beyond even me, as is Sanskrit, but the Hindi of today's India is a mix of Urdu, Punjabi and other dialects and languages...

Sanskrit is a heavenly language..really gives a divine and enrched experience when u speak it:) Have learnt it till grade 10-LOVE it!
psawyer thumbnail
Oh 😭 I envy you Sukhi...I have attempted to learn Sanskrit off my own back but its hard when there's no one around to help you understand....I've learnt German and apparantely even Sanskrit has Germanic roots and if you learn German, it is easier to pick up Sanskrit....?