Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Surtaal thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Guys,

My bad . . . the production does come from UK followed by South Africa & Poland then US. I stand corrected . . .

Crux of our discussion is, can the Indian Idol gain and exude the energy and performance levels that the people expect of them? as we see the American Idols do . . .

At the end of the day the winner would release his/ her own albums and perform several stage shows . . .

What are our II hopefuls getting into? Do they know?
FrenchieRox thumbnail

Originally posted by: HariOm

I am watching the AI this year. I feel singing quality is much better than II2. The final 12 are so good that you feel anyone will deserve the title. That is NOT the case with II2. In fact even in top 3 you know who (Karu) is the best and way above S and A.

I have not heard AI competitors go out of Sur as much as the ones in II2. Also the voting is not regional hence really the bad ones for that day get filtered out. There is no politics, regionalism involved. Hence the one who wins is the one who was one of the most deserving candidates. 

Firstly, singing quality is certainly NOT better than II2. But then again, thats your opinion. :)

The Top 12, is decent[Of AI5] nothing great & the only reason you say everyone is a deserving winner, its only because Simon knows how to go & on & on selling the show.

The AI5 contestants are so many times out of tune, off pitch & they are sharp so many times!

Technically, Indian music & Western music cannot be compared, but I'd say Indian Idol 2 singers are better than American Idol 5 singers. The same cannot be said about our voting as that is terrible but our singers were pretty amazing whereas in America, the previous seasons have had MUCH better finalists.

Oh BTW to all who say there is no politics involved, American Idol is only & ONLY about politics.

bsb-star thumbnail
i think as someone from england watchin both shows, i prefer ii2 more than american idol-cos i find it more entertaining to watch something indian in western country. we r surrounded by english songs and acts all the time.
but i think with american idol there are a numba of contestants who cud win the title. my fav is taylor/chris- whereas wid ii2 -pathetic voting has led to the show turnin into a farce-with onli one contestant remainin who is talented, karunya. if he is voted off, then i wud not care less who wud be the idol.
with american idol they listen to simon-who i usually agree with

also pop idol frm uk was the first show-also had simon cowell as judge
anonmember thumbnail
Originally posted by: Surtaal

Crux of our discussion is, can the Indian Idol gain and exude the energy and performance levels that the people expect of them? as we see the American Idols do . . .

At the end of the day the winner would release his/ her own albums and perform several stage shows . . .

Indian audiences have different expectations than American ones and its reflected in the voting trends. I think II2 hopefuls know what they're getting into but some are more prepared than the others, in terms of talent and maturity.

Another factor is age. There are six contestants over the age of 25 in AI. In II2, there were only two in the original top 12. That would probably explain the difference in performance level/maturity btw the two shows.
FrenchieRox thumbnail

Originally posted by: Surtaal

As unfortunate it is, Indian music revolves around playback. There is very, very little room for singers who want to get their OWN music out. So I'd say give it 3-4 years & all of these contestants will be singing for movies :(

Surtaal thumbnail
Sure, but with the kind of audio editing technology and equipment, anybody's voice can be doctored to suit movies ;), you know what I mean.

The important thing is to be able to develop the ability to energize the stage and audience. This does not come in a day. So the contestants should also try to gain some experience doing public performances so they would know what this is all about.

This is what Simon says . . . with a poker face. Afterall, everybody is entitled to a modest return on their investment.
Surtaal thumbnail
Sure, but with the kind of audio editing technology and equipment, anybody's voice can be doctored to suit movies ;), you know what I mean.

The important thing is to be able to develop the ability to energize the stage and audience. This does not come in a day. So the contestants should also try to gain some experience doing public performances so they would know what this is all about.

This is what Simon says . . . with a poker face. Afterall, everybody is entitled to a modest return on their investment.
Born2rule thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
well technically speaking There is No comparence in the Both Type of music cause in Desi Music thE Surr category is diffrent from the English Music .... and Asian enjoy watching indian idol b/c There are there languages been sung Like Urdu,hindi,Punjabi......... So II is More Better!!!!!
breathing_irony thumbnail
i guess u really cant compare the two coz the essence of western n indian music totally different and the expectations of the indian public is different comapred to the american public.

AI is more abt attitude, energy, improvisation in ur performances (alongside the melody etc) while II-2 doesnt have the same level of intensity when it comes to the 'performances' (read not singing) simply coz indian music is different frm Western music. So, u really cant compare AI's singing to II's singing.

But yes one area where AI really scores over II is the procedure: in terms of voting, anchoring, judging, and at times even the attitude of and shown towards the voted-out contestant.
Surtaal thumbnail
The search for the Indian Idol is about someone that can perform well, not at the expense of Sur and Taal. When it comes to releasing albums there are a lot of expectations.
If someone were to goof up on stage like you see our contestants doing, no one gets their money's worth.

It is the same with AI. In that respect it is not much different from any stage performances. Has anyone seen Abhijit Sawant in action??