Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Kahin Deep Jale Kahin Dil (Page 6)

saniya9919 IF-Dazzler
saniya9919
saniya9919

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 7:07am | IP Logged
Thanks for great info.I want to add this,
Aayega Aanewala (Mahal,1949; Khemchand Prakash) - This was the song that defined the beginning of the Mangeshkarian magic and transformed Madhubala into an instant living legend. Ironically, Madhubala didn't lip-sync it on screen at all ! It was played in the background. But what an impact it made ! With one song Lataji wiped away all the careers of existing female singers. Ashok Kumar who played the lead in Mahal still recalls how everyone in the room reacted when the then- unknown Lata was asked to sing. Even today mention of Aaayega aanewala lights up Lataji's eyes. "It's hundred percent my favourite. I had done a number of rehearsals for the song. Actually the composer Khemchand Prakash heard me singing for Anil Biswas. A number of tunes were readied for Aayega aanewala. I was given strict instructions about the importance of the song. The producer Ashok Kumar and the director Kamal Amrohi told me I had to sing as though the heroine was approaching from a distance. Since the studio was very large, I was placed in one corner of the room and told to gradually approach the microphone in the middle of the room while singing. There were no dubbing and editing devices in those days. We had to do it all in one go. I still remember we recorded the entire day".

saniya9919 IF-Dazzler
saniya9919
saniya9919

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged
Kahin Deep Jale Kahin Dil (Bees Saal Baad, 1962; Hemant Kumar) - Prior to this song, Lataji had fallen seriously ill. Doctors had predicted that she'd never be able to sing again. Being a born fighter, the Nightingale swore to bounce back. Her first recording after her illness was this high-pitched number of haunting Dimensions. Lataji was nervous and apprehensive. "Fortunately the recording went off very well. Hemant Kumar was of a very quiet temperament. He knew exactly what to compose for me." Interestingly Hemant Kumar recorded Lataji's voice during the rehearsal and okayed it as the final take, the Nightingale says she's glad she made a comeback after her illness with an intricate song like Kahin deep jale. She had a point to prove to her detractors who were waiting for her downfalls and she proved it. The song won her another Filmfare award.

Naina Barse Rimjhim (Woh Kaun Thi, 1964; Madan Mohan) - Every song in Woh Kaun Thi is precious to Lataji's heart. But Naina barse was the all-time hit."This was the time when I had fallen ill. I couldn't be present for the recording. Madan bhaiyya recorded the tune in his own voice and sent it along to Simla for the shooting. I dubbed the number later. But during the shooting spectators were shocked to see the heroine Sadhana 'singing' in a male voice. Woh Kaun Thi was a very important film for Madan bhaiyya. I felt bad when he didn't get the Filmfare award for it. But he laughed away my sorrow saying, 'It's enough of a reward for me that you feel this way.' It's sad that people didn't recognize his talent during his lifetime. They realized his worth only after he died."

saniya9919 IF-Dazzler
saniya9919
saniya9919

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged
The link to above info,
http://gaurav-kumar.tripod.com/lata.htm

These songs r Lataji's personal favourits.
jhsurti Groupbie
jhsurti
jhsurti

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 7:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by saniya9919

The link to above info,
http://gaurav-kumar.tripod.com/lata.htm

These songs r Lataji's personal favourits.

Thanks saniya9919 for the stories behind the songs. Shows the dedication and efforts put in by the stars of those days.

kishore_bhakta Senior Member
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged
Thank you very much Saniya for the additions to the songs.

I have the recording of Madan Mohan singing Naina Barase Rimjhim Rimjhim. His voice reminds me of a very refined version of Kishore Kumar/Saigal. Ever since I heard the recording of this song sung in a male voice, I started singing along. My parents would start laughing in another room when I whip out my harmonium and start singing this song in a male voice.

"adhura hoon main afsana.. jo yaad aun chale aana
mere jo haal hai tujh bin... woh aakar dekhte jaana
bheegi bheegi palken... cham cham aansu chalke
khoyi khoyi aankhen hai udaas...

naina barase rimjhim rimjhim piya tore awan ki aas
naina barase rimjhim rimjhim.. naina barse... barse.. barse."

The film and the songs from "Woh Kaun Thi" were copied to a Tamil version called "Yaar Nee" and Naina Barse was "nane iru (something..couldn't make out the words." Sung by P. Susheela. Sad part is that they cut the intro of Lataji's rendition (the oooo) and pasted it to P. Susheela's version. They still credit that "ooo..." part to P. Susheela LOL

BTW. Lataji is YET to be paid for Aayenga Aanewala! Of the people who were associated with Mahal film (actors, lyricist, music director, production crew, singers), Lataji is the only one still living from that film.
saniya9919 IF-Dazzler
saniya9919
saniya9919

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged
Thanks for the info. Clap
juggyE Goldie
juggyE
juggyE

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 9:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by adwarakanath

Has anyone heard Madan sahab's 'Mai re main ka se kahoon'?

His voice is as powerful as an ustad gavaiyya.

I actually like it more than Lata's version...
greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 30 March 2006 at 9:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by adwarakanath

Has anyone heard Madan sahab's 'Mai re main ka se kahoon'?

His voice is as powerful as an ustad gavaiyya.

Yes.  very nice.  His "woh kaun thi" song is also very nice.

Go to top