neena wid daughter---chk

Mishubaa IF-Rockerz
Mishubaa
Mishubaa

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged

Neena Gupta with daughter Masaba

Award-winning roles lie with the helpless housewife

Neena Gupta says she wants to be the 'kamzor kudi'... for job's sake

I've been in show business for 20 years, yet I don't fit in – neither in the television nor in the film industry. Where have I gone wrong? Everyone tells me that I'm a natural actress, and I look okay.

So, why don't I get roles in those niche films of filmmakers like Rituparno Ghosh or Ram Gopal Verma, where actors of my age have so much to do?

People tell me that I have made many mistakes in my career. Yes, Aparna Sen did approach me with a role in her film once. I didn't like the role, so I refused it. Was it a big mistake?

Apparently it was, for Aparna almost took my refusal as a personal insult.  She was so upset that she has never worked with me again. Today, I wonder whether we actors need to take on roles we don't like, just to be assured of roles in future? Is that the way this game should be played?

Mahesh Bhatt is a friend of mine, he acknowledges that I'm a good actress. But when it comes to work, he wants me to do a song in his film. An item song. Why should I?

I did get a role in an important film with a big director whom I really wanted to work with, recently. The director was fond of me, I openly expressed my admiration for him.  Was that a mistake? Evidently it was, for the director's wife thought I wanted to have an affair with her husband, and demanded that he throw me out of the film.  He did.  I lost out on yet another chance.

When I first came to Mumbai, I thought my biggest strength was that I could look and act different, for different roles. Today I realise that it was my biggest weakness.  For, now I know that I don't have work only because I am not fitted neatly into a slot.   Filmmakers know that if they need a certain kind of mother, they should call Reema Lagoo, if they need another kind of mother, they should call Kirron Kher. But no one knows when they should call me. I tried to play different types of roles. I wish I hadn't.

Just like sometimes I wish today that I could leave this industry forever.

At one point, my friends told me that my PR was awry, that's why I didn't get roles. I rectified that. I called up filmmakers to ask for roles.  I pretended that I had come to Mumbai anew and had to make a fresh start.

I called up Yash Chopra. He told me, "Sure, I know you're a good actress. You don't have to call me. I'll call you whenever I have something for you." That's the irony. Everyone knows I am a good actress. Only, they don't have roles for me.

I messaged Ekta Kapoor, expressing my desire to work with Balaji. Ekta replied that the pleasure was entirely hers. She did get back with a role. But I didn't like it, so I refused. Now, was that a mistake? Perhaps.

The irony is that after every success, I thought I had made it. After Khandaan, I was confident. But just because in Khandaan I didn't want kids and was an astute businesswoman, I didn't get the role of a heroine on television afterwards.

After Saans too, I thought I had made it, for here I played the quintessential bechara housewife, the kind most television roles are made of. But I made the mistake of following it up with Kamzor Kadi Kaun, where I was a battleaxe. So no one gave me bechara roles.

The media loved to sell me as a strong, single woman, I enjoyed being sold as a strong, single woman. Now I don't. Now I know that it works best to have a helpless image for television. For that's where all the award-winning roles lie.

Saregama_fan IF-Dazzler
Saregama_fan
Saregama_fan

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged
thanks for the article
Premkidiwaani IF-Dazzler
Premkidiwaani
Premkidiwaani

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 6:19pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing.
ekomas Senior Member
ekomas
ekomas

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 6:52pm | IP Logged
Isnt it an irony? This article just shows the pathetic stage of acting - where an actress of Neena's calibre is not given a platform to work on.

I wish Neena the best - she is a strong woman - like women should be.
soap_fan Goldie
soap_fan
soap_fan

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged
that is so sad..a talented actress like neena gupta..look at all the otehr actors on soaps with thier odd makeup...neena gupta looks good so much better than them. those directors they just want to take people from the same gang..i hate that..
however i hope neena gets better roles soon..that suit her
Chits1 IF-Stunnerz
Chits1
Chits1

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 8:44pm | IP Logged
neena is a very talented actress.thanks for the article.I think she married a west indies cricketer and the daughter resembles the dad LOL
realitybites IF-Sizzlerz
realitybites
realitybites

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chitra anand

neena is a very talented actress.thanks for the article.I think she married a west indies cricketer and the daughter resembles the dad LOL

Thanks for article.

Neena has this daughter from Sir Vivian Richards!!! Shocked   LOL
No they didn't marry so call her the fruit from labour of love Wink
Chits1 IF-Stunnerz
Chits1
Chits1

Posted: 29 March 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by realitybites

Originally posted by chitra anand

Thanks for article.

Neena has this daughter from Sir Vivian Richards!!! Shocked   LOL
No they didn't marry so call her the fruit from labour of love Wink

Achcha,we can also say..mehnat ka fal meetha hota hai LOL.Viv ji kya kehna..neena ke saath cricket khela kya..LOL..no offence..was just joking

Go to top