PLIGHT OF WOMEN - SALONI'S IDENTITY?

glamritz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
After seeing the latest episode on Saat Phere, i was shocked when i saw Brijesh telling Saloni to not be with her own family.

Seriously from the start of the show till now..

What is SALONI's identity ?

Ever since young, or the begining of Saat Phere.. her talents were ignored just because she is dark. Her colour was her identity but was it justifiable?

Then, when she got engaged once to tht horrible person ( i dun rmbr his name), the mother only accepted her becoz her dad agreed to pay that 25 lac as dowry.. was her identity just limited to 25 lacs? Although the alliance broke, but was it fair to her?

After that when Nahar chose her instead of Shubra, frm shubra's point of view, she was indentified or viewed as the one who was responsible in ruining her r/shp..  how is this fair?

And now when she's married to Nahar, her in-laws tell her to cut off ties with her own Maika just becoz she hid Neel and Shubra's marriage frm them. They did not even give her a chance to explain. If they think Saloni is being selfish, arent they being selfish as to overlook Neel's acceptance of Shubra just becoz Rewa is part of their family? What right do they hv to tell Saloni off?

And since a girl is considered an outsider after marriage frm her own house and now she is even treated like one by her in laws, What iS her IDENTITY ?

Although we get to see that there has been lesser emphasis on the colour discrimination etc, but Saloni's identity has always been supressed ever since the start of the show. Is this the plight of women in India today? Was it fair to Saloni? What is her identity then? Edited by glamourous - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Meeshti thumbnail
👏 👏
hi glamourous,

Great Topic

I think you are absolutely right. It's unfair how Saloni has suffered and it's sad that as what you said, a woman's identity is based on her colour, whether she has enough money for dowry and her loyalty to only and only her in-laws after her marriage.

Sadly, the plight of women still in states like Rajasthan and Gudjrat is similar to this. And in fact the whole idea of women becoming more independant in India is still rather vague. Because her identity is not her own individuality anymore. Her identity is what the society perceives of her and her responsibility to her close ones.

In Saloni's case is the same. She has been treated unfairly ever since the start. I completely agree with you 100%. Edited by Meeshti - 18 years ago
shalini1323 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
😃 nice topic.

makes me wonder.

but ok, if u say in Rajasthan etc women are still deprived of their own identity, is it the same for the whole India? i don't know. Have never ever been to india.

But i feel really unfair and sorry for Saloni. What Saloni should do is to just tell them off.

I don't like Saloni because this girl does not talk at the right time and when she is held guilty for something, she remains silent for stupid reasons like family reputation. Sick.
ramas thumbnail
I do agree every person should have their own identity. Our society or culture makes us womaen always wants us leave as someone's daughter before marriage then someones' wife and later someones mother. in doing that we always forget who we are. Before marriage I have taken care of my brothers aisters then my husband's entire family. Then my son I am the eldest in both families. Lately now that my son is about to goto college i am feeling very restless and feel like I have done everything for evryone and have lost my own identity. I donot know why we are taught to just give give and give and deprive ourselves what we want.I feel like i am completely lost at this point. Should we blame our values which taught us that we are the care takers. Or our culture for this?
glamritz thumbnail
Hey all thanks for replying ..

Ramas, i think u've brought across a very good point. Really the loss of our identity.. do we blame it on our cultures and values.

it is ironic that we, indians feel so proud of our culture and values but deeper inside, there's soo much more ..
It's really sad how women even now sometimes just lose their identity in the process of taking responsibility of others. But i hope this doesnt continue. I m sure in many parts of India, like Bombay, women have made their own mark despite having a family etc .. but still majoirty are subordinated.
glamritz thumbnail
and shalini,

you have also brought across one point which i think we shud all consider. Is Reputation everything? Is it worth losing our identity for our own reputation? Or is Reputation our identity? and in Saloni's case, yes she is doing all this to save her family's honour but wht does she get in return? accused of being disloyal? now isnt tht unfair?
lovepallavi79 thumbnail
I agree that it has been like this from the very beginning.But What to do,all this is happening in all parts of india.Though we have been heading towards a new era situations are yet to change a lot.Women are still treated badly and not given all rights as men.
glamritz thumbnail
And when Nahar told Saloni that she should have asked the sasuraal's permission before going to her own maika, i felt like telling him off tht Hey i dun need permission to go to my own House !!

I really wonder why Saloni is always silent.

Saloni's silence makes it seem that she is guilty.

I know when women are silent, it depicts that they respect the person who is talking to them. But they forget that these ppl will think that they are weak. And this is how Saloni is being treated. It's really not done.
ramas thumbnail
I feel like women are treated like slaves by husbands and their family. Yes it is right to tell where someone is going. But what is with the permissin. I hope this is not what is happening in India even today. It will be very shameful for modern woman.
glamritz thumbnail
Exactly. And if a woman doesnt seek permission etc, she is taken to be disloyal. which is ridiculous. I really hated the way Nahar reacted towards Saloni. Now isnt this a form of discrimination?