Lord Vishnus love Handles- Book cover

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged
Lord Vishnus Love Handles : A Spy Novel Sort Of

What are your comments on this cover of a book . I just came across it today in my library !!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Lord Vishnus love Handles- Book cover" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

gk_09

Global Moderator

gk_09

BollyCurry Buzzer, Crazy Creatives

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged
I dun think that should be the cover of the book. Ouch

because of the LORD VISHNU part in it. It's someone's relgion and we have no right to make fun of it. I think they should change it.

Majority

IF-Dazzler

Majority

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 9:55pm | IP Logged
This is outrageous.

And we ourselves are to blame for this. Our religion has been with mankind since the dawn of civilisation. Our scriptures are old as time itself. Our myths and beliefs are a way of life for all Indians irrespective of caste creed and religion. Our religion has been the well from which innumerable faiths and sects have sprung.

And yet, we do not have a single person of sufficient learning and authority who will speak against such ridicule and debasement.

Oh God, one more time, another Swamiji to show us all. Please.

PS: is there anywhere where we can write a protest against this?

Majority

IF-Dazzler

Majority

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 10:11pm | IP Logged
Just found this review on the amazon website, and it seems to me that the title is a cheap way to increase readership.

The reference to the Lord Vishnu in such a flippant manner remains unpardonable.

The review now:

Book Description: Lord Vishnu's Love Handles is the story of a man who is teetering on the edge of financial ruin and insanity until a couple of secret agents teach him what it really means to lose his mind.

Travis Anderson has a psychic gift. Or so he thinks. So far he's milked his premonitions only to acquire an upper-middle-class lifestyle--pretty wife, big house, and a shiny Range Rover--without having to make any real effort. But recent visions threaten his yuppie contentment. Haunted by omens of impending cancers, stillborn babies, and personal train wrecks, he is compelled to make a series of inaccurate and horrifying prophecies that humiliate him in front of his fellow country club members. The IRS gets Travis's number, too, demanding an audit of his sloppy bookkeeping.

Drowning in mounting financial problems and apparent mental illness, Travis tries booze, pills, even golf to stay afloat, but nothing works. His wife and friends are forced to stage an intervention. Travis is in danger of losing his family, his career, and ultimately, his sanity. That is, until he meets a Hindu holy man in rehab who claims to be the final incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Suddenly, the tragically shallow Travis is saddled with the responsibility of bettering mankind and saving the world.

Signora2

Goldie

Signora2

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged
As rightly said, the title is misplaced and no one has raised objections to it.
What gets written or is part of popular perception is HInduism and its practioners are soft targets as their religon is not organised, on the contrary the greatness of our religion is assimilating all contradictions and then talking of oneness.
I wish there were more scholarly artilcles read and disseminated outside India.Cow and Vishnu has a connection---------- could not understand ?
cow is holy for Hindus but is not the end and be it all of Hinduism.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 28 March 2006 at 4:15pm | IP Logged
Ya when i think any other religon would have dealt with this book with a murder the author at site probably .

Although we believe in tolerance , i do believe we take it to another limit !! And our patience and tolerance is constantly tested !!

Some of you may remember this other book cover Holy Cow - Sarah Macdonald,  i had found ridicules..... But i don't think it was as bad as the Lord Vishnu's love handles !!Dead

Holy Cow : An Indian Adventure

Edited by Aparna_BD - 28 March 2006 at 4:20pm

MS.ATTITUDE

Goldie

MS.ATTITUDE

Posted: 29 March 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged
to tolerate such thngs is nt gd ppl shd protest in a civilised manner.

getafix

getafix

Posted: 29 March 2006 at 6:38pm | IP Logged
my first reaction was disgust. 'lord vishnu'...' is clearly written by an ignorant and greedy person out to make a fast buck. but the second book cover'holy cow' depicting lord shiv with sunglasses - sorry guys it actually made me laugh. they r,like i said, ignorant and foolish. there shd be protest and the the publisher/writer must be made aware of their ignorance. that said, i thaught lord shiv looked quite nice! Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top