Balaji to shift focus on movies from TV - Article

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago

Going forward, movie production will contribute as much to the company's revenues as TV production.
After 15,000 hours of programming on the airwaves and 80 distinct programmes that ruled the TRP charts, the 'Soap Queen' Ekta Kapoor thinks it is time to move on.
"TV doesn't have valuations. We want to build valuations and exploit growth opportunities and film seems to have that," feels Ekta Kapoor, joint managing director at Balaji Telefims.

Until now, the melodramatic soaps contributed close to 80 per cent of Balaji's revenues, but now the company wants to move from the small screen to the big one in a bid to increase profitability.

Going forward, movie production will contribute as much to the company's revenues as TV production.

"Unlike the global markets, in India a production house does not hold the intellectual rights of the shows or properties it creates' so it cannot monetize the content it creates," said Ashish Pherwani, associate director at Ernst & Young.

So far viewers have given Ekta Kapoor's filmy foray a clear thumbs up. But will investors be impressed by the new picture at Balaji? The jury is still out

Edited by my_jaan - 12 years ago
OK Ekta , what happened to  ' Jisne Tv ko chod diya , usko TV ne chod diya ' ..it's Ok for yo uto leave Tv so why can't the same rule apply for others  😕 ...

Anyway , she is right ...
Her Tv shows are not good anymore .better stick to movies .😳

I think Ekta has realized that this whole idea of leap just did not really work in Pavitra Rishta ...No matter what she says her other shows are not doing as good in terms of profit ...BALH is a expensive show and  I don't think it has ever come in top 3 as yet ...
Edited by Tanyaz - 12 years ago
Originally posted by Tanyaz

OK Ekta , what happened to  ' Jisne Tv ko chod diya , usko TV ne chod diya ' ..it's Ok for yo uto leave Tv so why can't the same rule apply for others  😕 ...

Good one Tanya di 👍🏼 Lol she thinks only she can move forward!

I heard from some where that she is producing some 4 to 5 new show for channels like Life OK, Sony TV, Zee Tv, Colors TV and Sab TV in next 6 months .

Is she leaving TV shows altogether or merely expanding by increasing her horizons ...while keeping her base , TV shows , intact

TV shows gave her solid money I do not think she will stop serial making , shes very good at it

That remark about TV ne chod diya ...I think more than criticism , she was talking practically ...this world is only such , u move out of eyesight and life moves on so fast that U lose opprtunities ...like they showed in the movie Page 3

Best of luck to both ...Ekta and Sushant . May both do well ...
Originally posted by Tanyaz

Anyway , she is right ...
Her Tv shows are not good anymore .better stick to movies .😳

I think TV has just became an extra means to earn money for her ... the money she makes from TV is used to fund her films ... bas thats it ...
she wont leave making TV shows ..

@bold ...   tanyadi ... the way EK commented .. you would think she is directly or indirectly accusing sushant of looking down on television ...
but its actually the opposite ...
EK treated the the TV stars very shabbily in that GIFTH award show of hers ... and sushant has always spoken very highly of the television industry and the TV actors ...

Edited by lunza - 12 years ago
Originally posted by lunza

I think TV has just became an extra means to earn money for her ... the money she makes from TV is used to fund her films ... bas thats it ...
she wont leave making TV shows ..

@bold ...   tanyadi ... the way EK commented .. you would think she is directly or indirectly accusing sushant of looking down on television ...
but its actually the opposite ...
EK treated the the TV stars very shabbily in that GIFTH award show of hers ... and sushant has always spoken very highly of the television industry and the TV actors ...

Well said Tanya di & Lunza👏