Indian Idol 6
Indian Idol 6

karunya anuj sandeep articale

gigishah Senior Member
gigishah
gigishah

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged
Idol or not?

Mamta Upadhyaya meets the three finalists of the reality contest and is floored by the youngsters' confidence

Meeting Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey and our dearest Abhishek Bachchan under one roof! Consider it a wish fulfilment by a fairy Godmother. Or maybe a crazy set of nicknames earned by the three finalists of the Indian Idol II contest. Now now, can't you remember the last Indian Idol Abhijeet Sawant? The lanky guy from Mumbai, who peaked with the win and then faded from the fickle public memory. Last heard he was promoting some Sony serial... Legal contract dear!

As television talent hunt shows become the order of the day and create overnight stars, who are popular for just that amount of time, another one joining the league doesn't seem very interesting.

Or that's what I thought till I met the three - Karunya, Anuj and Sandeep.

Though the D-day is near and tension is running high, these three confident boys are having a gala time.

Hardly any rivalry is evident in their attitude as they strike funny poses for the media during their promotional show in the Capital. They come across exactly as they are - guys-next-door, who want to be a part of the glamorous world but are also aware of its pitfalls.

Abhishek Bachchan, aka, Karunya, is the most preferred contestant so I first catch up with him at the dinning hall of the Hotel Grand. He has just settled down at a table with his plate of masala paneer and rice and I quickly join him.

This Hyderabadi boy gave up his engineering study for this contest. Unbelievable! Why did he do that? Already trained to handle media, Karunya is at ease and answers without even ceasing to eat. "I can get back to it whenever I want to as I can complete the course in eight years. But I would not get another chance to become Indian Idol." The confidence of this youngest of the three finalists is impressive.

With a background in Carnatic music how difficult is it for him to belt out Hindi and Punjabi numbers?

"Not difficult at all. I learnt Hindi watching the tele soap Swabhimaan. When I started singing I knew I could be successful only if I was versatile and so got my Hindi and other language accents correct," says he, finishing the last spoonful.

The waiter comes to clear the table and he excuses himself with, "I want to have deserts, please." He walks to the buffet spread and returns with some pastries.

As he lovingly digs into the pastries, I pop my next question. How strong is the adrenal rush as the result-day nears?

With one more forkful of Dark Chocolate, he answers, "I am anxious and cannot wait for that day. I am getting impatient. Wish the results are out today, at this moment."

But why so anxious when he knows he is leading?

"I am not satisfied with this lead. I want to get the title. But that is also not my ultimate aim. It will be the beginning," Karunya replies and I realise that despite looking juvenile and simple, this boy has an unwavering aim in life.

At this point, my Jim Carrey, Sandeep Acharya, joins us with a plate full of cherries and fruit salads. He places the plate on the table but before he can sit, Farah Khan, one of the judges of the competition, calls out to him. He gets up but collects his plate before leaving. "I don't trust Karunya, he will eat up everything. Sorry, I will be back in a few minutes," he says and walks away.

Karunya makes a face at Sandeep's back - innocent boyish revelry or an undercurrent of rivalry?

As we wait for Sandeep, I ask Karunya about their on-stage rivalry and back-stage relationship. "There is competition between us when we are on stage but off-stage, we are like a happy family." Then adds as an after thought, "Sandeep is my toughest competitor." At this, Sandeep arrives and Karunya excuses himself for a photoshoot. Duty calls or budding competition?

I turn towards a shyer Sandeep. A thorough gentleman and soft-spoken, Sandeep is from Bikaner. Unlike the garrulous Karunya, he is a boy of few words. "I have started talking more ever since I participated in this contest. I am more confident now. See these golden streaks in my hair. At Bikaner, I would not have even dreamt of sporting such a look."

With a long sigh he continues, "I have changed, life has changed a lot. Crowds go mad on seeing us! Kids pester me for autographs. They want to click pictures with me. It all seems like a dream."

But this boy is no daydreamer. "This euphoria will remain only if I win the title and continue to sing well. So singing is my ultimate mate. But even if I don't win the title, I will not be disheartened." Sandeep's sporting spirit could get him the title.

What about the drama in reality shows? Is that all staged for TRPs? "The reactions you see on a contestant's face on losing and winning are real and spontaneous. We do not react according to a script. We are not artists. We can't fake tears," he says candidly and something in his words pursues me to believe him.

Wishing him all the best I look out for Tom Cruise - Anuj, who is still posing for lensmen in the garden of the hotel. Kareena Kapoor and Anuj's friends have given him this name for his chocolatey good looks. As I see him striking poses for the cameramen, I realise that even if Anuj does not win the title, he will surely land himself TV or film roles. I coax him to talk to me. Photoshoots are surely his favourite.

This Himachali Apple - another nickname he has earned from the judges for his sweet voice and native land, is still reluctant to talk.

But a question about the controversy over another contestant Amey Date, whose ouster got Anuj into the top three, brings his focus back to me. "I am lucky but it was a public decision. So there should not be any controversy. There must be something in my singing that the public liked," Anuj says.

So, what does he want to do in life? "When I came to Delhi for the audition of this contest, I wanted to be the first to reach the venue and left the house at 6 in the morning. But to my surprise, there was already a long queue. The craze was unbelievable. But the crowd did not dishearten me. I also wanted to take a chance like all of them and here I am today."

Anuj has already made a mark with his voice and sings for the All India Radio. Still what if he loses? A doubt flickers but he assures me, "I will not give up. If I am not selected I will continue playback singing." Farah Khan stops near us and rebukes Anuj. "Kitni baat karoge? Khana khaya? Do not exert your throat too much. Save something for the show in the evening." Anuj smiles at me apologetically and watches Farah as she walks towards Karunya, who is busy talking to the media. With a final bye I also take leave from India's neo-celebs. Don't know which of the three will win but I will always remember their confidence and gusto to succeed.

sensation87 IF-Sizzlerz
sensation87
sensation87

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 5:05pm | IP Logged

sandeep and jim carrey? how come Confused LOL LOL

anuj and tom cruiseConfusedLOLLOL

Thank god this article spelled Amey's name right Clap

Thanks for the article!!

Edited by sensation87 - 26 March 2006 at 5:05pm

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top