Only the fittest will survive

SmarterDesiKid IF-Sizzlerz
SmarterDesiKid
SmarterDesiKid

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged

Alka Yagnik

Only the fittest will survive
Sunday, March 26, 2006 | Entertainment

Alka Yagnik, who has been active in the playback singing business for the past 25 years, couldn't be fitter

Devayani Shahane

Life today for Alka is a mix of calm and frenzy where she balances her time between family, yoga classes and music quite competently. When we caught up with her at her Andheri residence, she was just out of her yoga class, looking radiant as she chatted about life gone by and the years to come.

As a young girl growing up in Kolkata, while other four-year-olds amused themselves playing house, she spent hours listening to the radio. When her mother told her that the voice she heard with such rapt attention was that of legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar, the young girl promptly said that she wanted to sing like the nightingale someday. It passed off as a child's fancy then, but little did they know that this young girl would grow up to be Alka Yagnik, a singer who has to her credit work with big banners, disparate music directors, subsequent hit songs and several awards.

Starting her musical pursuits early, even though she was the daughter of a classical singer (Shubha Yagnik), Alka knew at the outset that her forte lay in playback singing. "I had an aptitude for playback singing. Even my mother realised the tonal quality of my voice suited film songs. So, she conceded to my choice. It is always best to let artists pursue their desires, only then can they put in the required passion and fire to their creative work."

But that does not imply that she did not go through the rigours of classical music. Riyaaz was an integral part of Alka's life then and continues to be so. "Having a classical base is imperative. Even if Bollywood songs are not purely classical, the need might arise, and at that that time you should be equipped to tackle such songs," she says.

In her 25-year long tenure in the industry, Alka's choice of songs has been varied. From songs like 'Gazab Ka Hain Din' to 'Choli Ke Peeche', to 'Ek Do Teen' to 'Ghungat Ke' and several others, Alka has displayed her versatility in more ways than one.

But like several others, the musician in her started to get restless and she felt herself slip into a state of stagnancy. But not for long. She decided to do something about it. "When you are at the threshold of your career, you want to go with the flow and work round-the-clock to get a foothold in the industry. I was no different. But after so many years in the industry, I have now decided to concentrate more on quality rather than quantity. Be it an item song or a commercial number, it should excite me."

Even if Alka gives all music directors a fair hearing (she continues to be flooded with offers), she only takes up numbers that she believes will take her forward. Some of her work to look forward to are Milenge Milenge (Himesh Resammiya), Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna (Shankar, Ehsaan and Loy) and Umrao Jaan by Anu Malik among others.

Speaking about her forthcoming projects she says, "For Umrao Jaan, Anu has composed ghazals as they should be but has done so with his distinctive style. In the process he has made me discover nuances in my voice and music of which I was unaware. Anu is very versatile and never ceases to amaze me at the things he does with his music. Similarly, Karan is a pleasure to work with. He has a good understanding of music and looks into it keenly. These days I feel that there is no point in adding songs for the sake of track numbers."

What does she feel about the huge batch of singers being churned out every day? "It is a jungle out there. It is suffocating and chaotic, and I stay away from it. I just want to do my work and stay away from the craziness. I am not saying that there is a dearth of talent, but they all sound similar. Also there is enough room, but not enough to accommodate all of them. Like in any other sphere, only the fittest will survive. But the good thing about the industry is that it welcomes everyone," she says.

What about remixes? "I have not sung remixes so far and even if I do so, they will be remixes of my own songs. I personally feel that remixes ruin the essence of the song; they are slimy instead of sweet. It is a phase that will pass."

Alka Yagnik will be playing the first live round of Mirror Full Housie at Ravindra Natya Mandir, at 11 a.m. today. Winners of Week 1 can come to the venue to collect their prizes.

• I have not sung remixes so far and even if I do so, they will be remixes of my own songs. I personally feel that remixes ruin the essence of the song; they are slimy instead of sweet
– Alka Yagnik

Sorry if it has already been posted

SmarterDesiKid
SmarterDesiKid

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged
The bullet (last one) Clap Clap Clap ( I still like remixes)
Bansari7 IF-Dazzler
Bansari7
Bansari7

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged
Thanks
bollywood_queen Goldie
bollywood_queen
bollywood_queen

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Bindiqueen06

Alka is kind of snobbish in my opinion. Ouch

definitely agree with u...o well- as long as she sings well

uknaik99 IF-Rockerz
uknaik99
uknaik99

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged
All well know people are Snobbish in someway or other.. it is package deal.. tell me hv you meet any down to earth celebrity so far.. Kajol don't even give autograph to her fans...
SmarterDesiKid
SmarterDesiKid

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged
um.....................
bollywood_queen Goldie
bollywood_queen
bollywood_queen

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by uknaik99

All well know people are Snobbish in someway or other.. it is package deal.. tell me hv you meet any down to earth celebrity so far.. Kajol don't even give autograph to her fans...

i do agree with ur point...but i have 2 say- i met john abraham and he was really nice Smile

SmarterDesiKid
SmarterDesiKid

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:39pm | IP Logged
my dad met Adnan Sami
he said he was nice

Go to top