Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Armu4eva

Coolbie

Armu4eva

Posted: 15 December 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged

COLLEGE KI KAHANI 
The yellow hair days 

Manasi Parekh Gohil talks about her experiences at St.Xaviers and her stint at the legendary Lee Strasberg 

Ialways knew that I would go to St Xaviers.Once I started college,it opened up a whole new world for me.I hadnt been exposed to so much art,creativity,theatre .in my life before.I thought I was well read till I joined Xaviers,were students would discuss American and Greek writers ! I realised that my knowledge was limited and I had to pull up my socks.
I learnt a lot on the campus,and believe it or not,I never bunked classes as it was so much fun to attend them.
In my second year of college,a friend and I started this a group called Prakriti to encourage talent.We organised many competitions like poetry readings,painting... 
I met a lot of interesting people too.In fact,a lot of my friends are into the media Frieda Pinto and I were in the same class.Namit Das,who is currently into theatre,was also my classmate.
I also remember how much attention my yellow hair attracted.I was shooting for my first show Kitani Mast Hai Zindagi,and had to colour my hair for the character I was playing.While my family almost disowned me (laughs),I thought people at Xaviers will react better.Alas! When I went to class the next day,every one went silent,and my professor asked,Is your hair yellow or am I that sick and everyone started laughing.
Since I enjoyed studying,after my TV show India Calling I decided to go abroad.I was reading Al Pacinos biography one day when I came across Lee Strasberg.I did some research,prepared for the entrance test and the next thing I knew I was studying theatre and dramatics in NY.It was an extremely overwhelming experience as I was in a different city living on my own.I was exposed to so many actors,musicians and directors from Austria to Lebanon,and even China.Interacting with people from all across the world was a great experience.We had some amazing faculty like Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino.
And New York being the hub for films,theatre,and Broadway,every week we were watching a film premiere.I spent a lot of time at the Barnes & Noble bookstore across the street from my college,as I just love to read.
It feels great that I made it to Lee Strasberg.I got to work with actors from all over the world for a Romeo and Juliet performance.To me both my college experiences have molded and shaped me into the person I am today and I hope to continue studying in the future! 

BACK TRACK 

1.FAV CANTEEN SNACK 

Pav Bhaji at 8 in the morning 

2.FAV SUBJECT 

Literature 

3 MY CRUSH 

My music teacher.Music was one of my favourite subjects 

4.TOPMOST OUTSTANDING ACTIVITY 

Sitting in the canteen and clapping every time a glass broke 

5.HANGOUT BUDGET 

Around Rs 500 

As told to Saadia S Dhaileys 

BACK IN TIME: Manasi Parekh Gohil 

[Previous] Bombay Times [Next]

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

anilbanilbGGG3MR21desicrowd

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "TOI: The yellow hair days--Manasi" in Star Ya Rockstar forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top