Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Married leads = More Trp's ??

incandescent thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago

This thought has been lingering at the back of my mind for the past few weeks. Many of us prefer to watch shows like IPKKND instead of certain shows which are highest trp garners because of reasons which have discussed countless times. So I am not going to get into that.

Those of us who watch IPKKND love it but also realize that IPKKND may never get 6.0 trps because it will never appeal to a certain section of the audience. We get furious when we see the cvs or the channel toying with the storyline or character sketches in order raise more trps or please that section of the trp contributing audience. We worry when we see our show losing its essence.

But we realize that there is not much we can do about this. At the end of the day it all comes down to the trps, after all its business.

IPKKND already faces tough competition due to the time slot. When it started it had average trps and it only entered the top ten after a few months.

What got me thinking is that two other shows DABH and EHMMBH started after IPKKND. I don't watch those shows (only watched two-three epis of DABH and only saw the promos of EHMMBH) so It may be a bit inappropriate for me to comment on the storyline or the acting.  But those two shows entered the top ten in a very short span and now they seem to have higher ratings than IPKKND. Going by the promos and few epis that I have watched, DABH has an extremely loud and annoying MIL and a scheming SIL and the female lead probably needs to brush up her acting skills. AS for EHMMBH, Krystle looks very pretty and Karan Tacker is quite popular two and the two seem to have subtle chemistry. But they are not the typical SP lead which is good thing. As for the storyline I really cannot comment because I have never watched it. But if I have to watch any one of the two shows I might prefer to watch EHMMBH because of the leads and parallel leads and its fresh look.

Now coming to the point, in both DABH and EHMMBH the leads got married early and just before or shortly after the leads were married, the trps soared.

Does it mean that the trp audience prefer to watch shows with married leads instead of love-hate, conflicted or complicated (read Arhi) relationships where the equation between the leads is much simpler to understand?

Many of us don't want to watch Arhi married at this stage. We would rather watch them sit and have a normal conversation, become friends first, go out on dates, get to know each better, overcome their flaws and grow as people. In short we want to see growth in their characters.

So with the risk of sounding stupid I am still going to ask this. Do shows with married leads give more trps?

please leave your comments.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Nithi- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Fari 😆

Its the 8 pm slot that is most competitive. With BV, KTLH and HD as its competitors, IPK is doing tremendously well ! This is the max one can expect and SP knows it too. 

With the other shows you mentioned, they are not facing what IPK is. 

I think, this is the difference but not the leads getting married.

Edit: Of course, SP audience have other shows to dish out all the saas-bahu crap !

Edited by -Nithi- - 12 years ago
Nope nothing to do with the leads being married...

The criteria for high TRPs include
1) Suffering women
2) Damsel in distress
3)vamps

I think EHMMBH is leading in the race cos of the chemistry between the parallel leads. The storyline is quiet plain.
DiamondLife thumbnail
Nice topic. I myself dont watch many indian serials..
But to be honest lately last month, since my mom was here she wanted to see EHMMBH..i have no channels on TV..i have to show her on my laptop. So I started watching..there was not much ARHI since Diwali (i mean romance happy things) ..since i am great arhi fan, i am not able to sometimes think outside of them and to divert my thoughts (not monotonous which is not good) i started following this serial too. There are light moments in EHMMBH..esp the younger siblings of the leads have really great comic fighting. i started enjoying ..
Basically..most of the indian population watching serials are house wives and so..they like that typical family serials. My family back in india they love SNS, which is foolest dumb serial to me.
Its only few percent of youngsters like us is watching this serial..

My point is if the serial does not show much progress or unnecessary same thing again and again ...audience gets diverted.
Very few people like us understands the character in depth..and stick to serial. There r audience like us who is watching KTLK and BALH which r different than other serials. Both of these serials i have not watch. I myself am a doctor..my brother insisted me to watch KTLK..its just so dry..cant take it may be i never followed the serial..its just mohnish behl who looks very old to me compare to girl ..who is outstanding..i dont like it.

TRPs r basically i think type of audience watching this show..they need to show certain entertainment and not sad things all the time..
LoLo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

You have a valid point there.  I do agree that serial watchers obviously prefer married jodis.  I watch those two other shows and while DABH has picked up I find EH(can't remember the other letters) to be quite boring. The two main leads are a total drag (the characters not the actors).  I watch because I am a Karan Tacker groupie. 😉 But the secondary leads are a pleasure to watch, so I look at it because of their chemistry.  I can't wait until they have them spend more onscreen time together. Krystle is better bad, sorry to say.  DABH has multiple stories going on and secrets, and that is also why I watch.  Iss Pyar suffers because the CVs have yet to stick to one solid set of stories and switches its characters a little too much. Khushi started out one way, switched, switched again.  Also there is no real suspense about things.  We all knew who Shyam must have been long before the truth was revealed, but it should not have been that way.  We all knew LA would be leaving, but we should have been hanging by a thread either way while we waited.  We never were; we always knew she'd be exiting, we just didn't know when. And the romance heated up much too quickly on Iss Pyar and then just as quickly fizzled out.  There are inconsistencies with scenes and constant bloopers.  So if they fixed the few holes, I don't think Khushi and Arnav necessarily have to get married.  I just think those shows write a little better and the characters have stayed consistent, so we want to tune in nightly.  Barun and Sanaya are great and the other actors do well.  We just need better and more consistent stories and then I think their TRPs would go through the roof.

On a side note:  Shashi needs to get better.  He was a strong, positive male presence in the show and we really need to see that again.
shybabe thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Nope...the trp's have nothing to do with married couple...

great vamps increase trp's
meena kumaari bahu who bare the crap of her family members will increase trp's

I personally think that IPKKND is doing wonderful...but i do have a feeling that the audience is not watching it at 8.00pm...lot of people kind of record it nowadays and then later watch it...

IPKKND is a show for this generation and it rocks...👏
DiamondLife thumbnail
the point is if the show has:
1) comic scenes

2) romantic scenes
basically happy scenes..YAAR depression main kon jana chata hain..people wacth shows for entertainment...but if all the time sadness and crying..will not work..there has to be chemistry between leads..i mean consistency.at least on khushi's side
2Desi4Life thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

EHMMBH ROCKS ITS SUCH A GOOD SHOW!!!!!...ITS NOT CAUSE THE COUPLE IS MARRIED THAT ITS GETTING HIGH TRPS ITS THE STORYLINE IN GENERAL!!...its fresh it doesnt just revolve around boy loves girl, girl loves boy but the realtionship between two sisters and how they maintain a bond in a unique way...plus there is no dramatic negative charcter scenes every charchter is positive but get mad at certain thigs as do people in real life!!!! all in all its fresh and to some extent realistic!...SORRY i think i got carried away, but IPKKND and EHMMBH are the 2 best shows ever and people trps will raise for this show its just that so far its carried the same story once arnav and kushie claim their love it will be something new for audiences to look forward to.😊

sunaina02 thumbnail

Seven points why IPKKND is not getting highest TRP

1. The marriage factor  as you have said Fari

2. ASR was too brutal to be accepted by behenjis

3. Too few side characters.

4.  Very less sarees . behenjees are not interested in Khushi's chamkeeli suits - too babyish for them

5. Poor editing and poor technical aspects.

6. Too much symbolism .Behenjis do not have time to interpret them  .

7. A vamp is urgently need. 

Thats why I support LA returning as a vamp. She goes back to England , marries Dhruv ( whoever he is)  and comes back as the third Bahu to rob ASR of all his business or money .  Khushi will be the martyr and saviour.

I do not mean to undermine anyone by calling behenji - which I would define as Indian housewife ( may be working too) in the age-group 35-60.  I belong to that group but my mindset in definitely different .
sugar_babe thumbnail
I think it does, which would make sense with the very iffy and awkward storyline change recently. The CV's have built up too many tracks and are trying to cover them up with this fazzled revelation of Shyam.. but I think they're going to get back to the essence of the story, the love-hate eventually in a few weeks, till then I'm pretty sure there's a marriage coming up!