Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

to be seen or heard (Page 4)

Poll Question: Is Indian classical music less popular as it is not visually appealing

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [78.79%]
7 [21.21%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

giggles_2005 Goldie
giggles_2005
giggles_2005

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:01am | IP Logged

Originally posted by madhavir108

Oh TV is a VERY powerful medium..especially shows like this..

For the youth of today, its this that is a medium to get in touch with old movies, old songs etc..

When I was a kid (7 - 10 yrs), I was never exposed much to classical music except wat i learnt at dance classes.. my parents rn't much into hindi music.. so never really told me about rafi or lata or kishore... i remember watching antakshari and askin my parents about the songs..n they knew a lot of them because though they weren't into that music, they had heard them when they were young..

thats y i regard antakshari a lot, i learnt how beautiful old music is!

another channel i give credit too is sony, they used to show old movies during lunch time and i used to watch it with my mom.. again got exposed to some fantastic songs..

SRGM was always a source of hearing songs..both old n new.. n hearin it in a diff voice made the difference...

thats the reason, i personally have nothing against remixes... if they are made in good taste with decent videos , they r really good..they help to rediscover old songs.. which is great !!!

i kno old songs n classical music dont necessarily go together..but wanted to share my opinions esp when u taked about visual media...

Yes it is a powerful medium..and shows like SGM and Antakshari did re- introduce us to some nice music...but as I mentioned in the initial post...these shows are becoming too commercialized now...do we get to watch an original Kishore Kumar black and white song on TV these days...rarely...so ppl at impressionable ages like my daughter is growing up to believe that Debojit is the original yoodler of Hindi film music!!...

ranig IF-Dazzler
ranig
ranig

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:07am | IP Logged
thanks Giggles for opening a topic which forces us to think about the avenues of music.

The story about your daughter is super cute! The television is an extremely powerful medium no doubt. Maybe when your daughter is a little older, she will pull out Kishorda songs and discover where it all started Smile
madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:08am | IP Logged
Yes, ranig ji is right! That is really cute!!

I am sure there is going to be a rediscovery of these old songs soon... they are too good to be just lost in the sands of time...
giggles_2005 Goldie
giggles_2005
giggles_2005

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:45am | IP Logged

Originally posted by ranig

thanks Giggles for opening a topic which forces us to think about the avenues of music.

The story about your daughter is super cute! The television is an extremely powerful medium no doubt. Maybe when your daughter is a little older, she will pull out Kishorda songs and discover where it all started Smile

I hope so too....Wink that is why I insist on playing original music  and not clones...Smile

Sima Samuel Senior Member
Sima Samuel
Sima Samuel

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 2:18am | IP Logged

gigglesji.. a very nice thread something which pushes us to think why we enjoy the music which we do and infact why not the indian classical or even the oldies..

unfortunately there was a time when ppl use to appreciate the radio as a medium of entertainment and during this particular era ... infact also while we were growing up (here in hong kong) we use to hear various types of songs from oldies to semi-classical etc. 

i think it all comes down to the upbringing really where some parents make it a point to educate their kids of the past as well...which is where infact i started off as well...of course TV is very influencial these days but you still do find youngstars who pride themselves with having the knowledge of songs of the yester years past including semi-classical...this is solely because of their parents

Edited by Sima Samuel - 26 March 2006 at 2:20am
giggles_2005 Goldie
giggles_2005
giggles_2005

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 3:25am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Sima Samuel

gigglesji.. a very nice thread something which pushes us to think why we enjoy the music which we do and infact why not the indian classical or even the oldies..

unfortunately there was a time when ppl use to appreciate the radio as a medium of entertainment and during this particular era ... infact also while we were growing up (here in hong kong) we use to hear various types of songs from oldies to semi-classical etc. 

i think it all comes down to the upbringing really where some parents make it a point to educate their kids of the past as well...which is where infact i started off as well...of course TV is very influencial these days but you still do find youngstars who pride themselves with having the knowledge of songs of the yester years past including semi-classical...this is solely because of their parents

Nice point Sima...reiterates the point made by some of us earlier...we need to do something proactively for introducing the younger generation to Indian music...and we should introduce it in an intelligent way...and the love for that kind of  music will stay with them throughout their lives...earlier I had posted a thread on Binaca geet mala...My father introduced me to it as a kid and that fondness for oldies has stayed with me till date....SGMP was a good show in this direction...but i feel its a bit downhill now..

vinit_fan IF-Rockerz
vinit_fan
vinit_fan

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 3:28am | IP Logged
Question: Is Indian classical music less popular as it is not visually appealing??

Nope...aisa kuch nahin hai..... buss yahi hai ki ajkal log aise gaane bahot kamm sunte hai.... Tongue
Too_Much IF-Rockerz
Too_Much
Too_Much

-

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 3:31am | IP Logged

Originally posted by vinit_fan

Question: Is Indian classical music less popular as it is not visually appealing??

Nope...aisa kuch nahin hai..... buss yahi hai ki ajkal log aise gaane bahot kamm sunte hai.... Tongue

aaj kal  log nasal singing pasand karahe hai

Go to top