Poll Question :

Is Indian classical music less popular as it is not visually appealing

Poll Choice
Yes
No
Login To Vote
Posted: 18 years ago
everything has selling points to attract viewers, once the viewers are in, you can explain the finer points

Pop(or even Hindi music) does a very nice packaging, whereas there is not much in it, but still attracts a lot of listeners due to its packaging

Classical does not do any packaging, the poineers of classical music tend to think if people have good musical ear, they will listen, however younger audience or even middleaged have little/no patience in learning the nuisances of music, and percieve classical to be difficult to understand, so stay away. Plus generally any such hobbies our of the mainstream have to be cultivated by parents and parents have to push kids into this, and if parents themselves feel this is way too difficult, they will never push their kids into classical.

So packaging makes a world of a difference

Other aspect is when you are a bit away from India, you tend to grow fonder about things great about India, so you will normally see parents push their kids into Indian heritage things more.(this is more true about dance forms). Couple of my friends used to frown at Indian classical 10 years ago, but 7-8 years in the US and their kids are into more of classical dance form, then my friends were when they were their kids age.

Just my POV, you can have yours
Excellent thread.

Abhi, great reply and to a certain extent I agree with you.

I must say I am one of those teens who has grown up not really relishing classical music (Till really late), I used to learn classical dance, and I never really liked or understood the songs I was dancing too..

Later, after learning dance, I started Carnatic music and believe me, as a 13 year old, I found it awfully boring.. when I had to practise, I used to crib SO much because I never really enjoyed it.. and this continued for most of my teenage years till I was about 17.

When I was 17, I attended a music schools Concert and at the end, they had this jugalbandhi which was performend by some local artists, it was a hindustani vs Carnatic kinda thingie, they were praising Lord Ram, and OH MY GOD.. I had goosebumtps at the end of it.. the gamakams vs the alaaps, the sur vs the taal, it was just brilliant.. Then I went back home, found my old music tapes and listened to them again, this time it made a difference, but still, I didnt enjoy Carnatic music as much as I enjoyed Hindustani, because I found Hindustani classical to be more elegant.

Morning Raga changed that. Hearing Thaye Yashoda (it was a fusion number with a different beat n all tat..but it was very catchy..), I was amazed at that song and this time, I went back to listening to M S Amma's and SPB's Kirtanas and since then I have changed my attitude towards both Carnatic and Hindustani classical because they aren't meant for ur ears.. or ur eyes.. they are meant for ur soul..

Why did I narrate a boring story from my life, its because movies like Morning Raga open eyes to that music form which we don't know off.. the music might not work, but the fact is, its an attempt.. a sincere attempt.. Musicians should incorporate atleast one classical - semi classical songs in their movies today to spread the word..

Abhi, the fact you say westernization is to blame, i totally dont agree. As I mentioned in an older thread, that lets not blame the influence of western culture for that! Its just a feeling of being cool.. and anything that is old, is considered not cool.. its like that with anything.. u r studyin to become a scientist..u shuld know.. new technologies everyday replace older ones, and with this 'growth', there has to be an effect somewhere.. Indian culture is definitely changing, but then what is essentially 'Indian' ?! We've always been attacked by foriegners and the beauty of Indian culture or customs is that we have always integrated their cultures with ours.. making it like a beautiful mixx.. so its fine to adapt to western modes..

Classical music takes a hit because its often associated with being boring.. most teens today dont realise taht so many songs they listen to and like are classical based .. Kajra Re was a classic example.. when Nihira added those swar into her version of Kajra Re, I was like this sensation has a classical touch to it.. same for a lot of good soongs like Jiya Dhadak Dhadak, Satrangi Re, Lukkha Chuppi etc etc.. so its not tat people dont appreciate classical music..they do..but when its in a bollywood glitz they dont realise it..

answering finally to what the poll says, no visual appeal doesn't matter..classical songs are not meant for us,they are meant to please the lord, they are sung for Him.. and such songs dont need eyes or ears, they need a seeking soul to relish it !!

sorry for the ridiculously long post !
sad but true as there is only place for few leaders in a pack , rest are average similarly , in a population there are only a few lerned ppl who actually understand the value of real thing and not fake stuff. Edited by rage797 - 18 years ago

Originally posted by madhavir108

Excellent thread.

Abhi, great reply and to a certain extent I agree with you.

I must say I am one of those teens who has grown up not really relishing classical music (Till really late), I used to learn classical dance, and I never really liked or understood the songs I was dancing too..

Later, after learning dance, I started Carnatic music and believe me, as a 13 year old, I found it awfully boring.. when I had to practise, I used to crib SO much because I never really enjoyed it.. and this continued for most of my teenage years till I was about 17.

When I was 17, I attended a music schools Concert and at the end, they had this jugalbandhi which was performend by some local artists, it was a hindustani vs Carnatic kinda thingie, they were praising Lord Ram, and OH MY GOD.. I had goosebumtps at the end of it.. the gamakams vs the alaaps, the sur vs the taal, it was just brilliant.. Then I went back home, found my old music tapes and listened to them again, this time it made a difference, but still, I didnt enjoy Carnatic music as much as I enjoyed Hindustani, because I found Hindustani classical to be more elegant.

Morning Raga changed that. Hearing Thaye Yashoda (it was a fusion number with a different beat n all tat..but it was very catchy..), I was amazed at that song and this time, I went back to listening to M S Amma's and SPB's Kirtanas and since then I have changed my attitude towards both Carnatic and Hindustani classical because they aren't meant for ur ears.. or ur eyes.. they are meant for ur soul..

Why did I narrate a boring story from my life, its because movies like Morning Raga open eyes to that music form which we don't know off.. the music might not work, but the fact is, its an attempt.. a sincere attempt.. Musicians should incorporate atleast one classical - semi classical songs in their movies today to spread the word..

Abhi, the fact you say westernization is to blame, i totally dont agree. As I mentioned in an older thread, that lets not blame the influence of western culture for that! Its just a feeling of being cool.. and anything that is old, is considered not cool.. its like that with anything.. u r studyin to become a scientist..u shuld know.. new technologies everyday replace older ones, and with this 'growth', there has to be an effect somewhere.. Indian culture is definitely changing, but then what is essentially 'Indian' ?! We've always been attacked by foriegners and the beauty of Indian culture or customs is that we have always integrated their cultures with ours.. making it like a beautiful mixx.. so its fine to adapt to western modes..

Classical music takes a hit because its often associated with being boring.. most teens today dont realise taht so many songs they listen to and like are classical based .. Kajra Re was a classic example.. when Nihira added those swar into her version of Kajra Re, I was like this sensation has a classical touch to it.. same for a lot of good soongs like Jiya Dhadak Dhadak, Satrangi Re, Lukkha Chuppi etc etc.. so its not tat people dont appreciate classical music..they do..but when its in a bollywood glitz they dont realise it..

answering finally to what the poll says, no visual appeal doesn't matter..classical songs are not meant for us,they are meant to please the lord, they are sung for Him.. and such songs dont need eyes or ears, they need a seeking soul to relish it !!

sorry for the ridiculously long post !

👏👏👏 awsome and well stated!!!! I'm always impressed with your posts. Very fair and interesting!

I grew up learning classical(western classical), bharat natyam, and playing the piano. I had the same experience as you....... 

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Gigglesji, let's blame the rapid westernisation for this. MTV/Pop Culture has ingrained it in the youth that western is cool. Even if it is besura or downright vulgar. It's the 'Cool' quotient.

To listen and appreciate classical, you need to understand music. How many people actually understand? The schools don't take any initiative in teaching children music. And then there's the thing of appreciating the Golden Era music. It was an era of subtle eroticism, passionate romance, regal romance, nazakhat, grace. Nothing was in-your-face. There was a certain class to things. Now? It's all down to the grassroots level and downright vulgar.

There's a misconception that old music or classical is too slow. Maybe no one's ever heard a superfast tarana being sung or a drut speeded fast taal. These misconceptions, again blame the media

To appreciate that music, one needs to be mature and away from the moh maya of pop culture. It is actually destroying the sensibilities of youth. It's gotten so bad in DU, that if someone wears Kurta-Pyjama to college, he's laughed at; if you don't spike your hair and keep a decent crop, you're called 'uncool and boring'. Same with music too. If you don't listen to Eminem or Pachaas Paisa or Metallica, you're boring and a no-life-loser.

Is deewaron ke jungle mein, woh nazakhat, woh tehzeeb, woh adaigee kaun laa sakta hai? Parents. But the parents themselves don't give a damn. So it's a collective problem and the solution is a collective effort.

A survey says that India has overtaken China in losing it's culture. I am not surprised. I won't be surprised if 25 years down the line, some wannabe yuppie says - Bharat? What the eff is Bharat? Call it EEEEndiyaaaa, dude

i agree 👏👏👏 but wht bout ppl who dont care bout spiking their hair n listenin 2 50 cent, eminem, greenday, etc...I will be honest...i used 2 actually care bout lookin "cool" , n i tried 2 u kno look like a gangzter...emo whteverrr....but now i really dont give a f nemore...cuz i kno wht am i n wht i wanna be...wht i am inside..truly....so wht bout those ppl.....who actually want 2 be themselvez....im sure there r sum ppl like dat.  But ur rite...those ppl will soon be "taken over" wit other ****...

Thanks ranig ji!

Glad to know I have company with those opinions..

A lot of my friends felt that way then. Being South Indian growing up outside India, I guess, it was natural that my parents force me into learning music or dance ! a lot of my freinds at music classes also felt that they never really enjoyed what they are singing..

I've met so many participnats in music shows (the small ones organized at school) and many of them sing so mechanically..they sing because they have a good voice... i've rarely met people who learnt msic because they 'wanted' too inspite of not havin a voice suited for music...

its really sad.. classical music is like a nectar, once u taste it, u just cant get enough of it!
i think itz a matter of self-conciousness...i agree wit u 2 madhavir ji... cuz i was brought up in India 4 half of my life n here 4 da other half...i agree dat most of these ppl might lose their identity cuz of da culture dat they r adaptin 2.... Edited by Celina7 - 18 years ago
I must say this, but I am glad I've grown up outside India... in India, its at this weird phase of 'west vs culture'.. and when I was growing up, I would see my cousins back home being less passionate about their country than me !!

and what Abhi says about DU, thats really sad.. i mean its better here !!! I can wear a Salwar to class (When its not -40 deg!) and its not considered odd or weird...
yes madhavirji... i think bout dat sumtimez 2...i think ppl r more proud than ppl over there...ur rite...
i think India is being taken over by "hip hop culture" very quickly....i hope it either stopz or slowz down...cuz i was watchin after hourz n i couldnt believe how sum women were actin there...i mean whever happened to a woman being shy n respectfull all da timez...