Indian Idol 6

India-Forums

Indian Idol 6
Indian Idol 6

Discussion: Playback and Music Industry (Page 2)

sonu_nigamfan IF-Rockerz
sonu_nigamfan
sonu_nigamfan

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 7:20am | IP Logged
Yeah but Sonu Nigam featured in the youth Icon poll.There r many many ppl who consider him their icon,myself being an example.Yeah he is not a power symbol or anything.That I agree.Musicians are not given as much importance in India as they shud be given in generaal,thts true....but I think Sonu can make a difference.He has already to quite an extent in my opinion.
for the closing ceremony of Common wealth games they called Shshrukh Khan,Rani,Saif,Aishwarya and Sonu Nigam.Tht itself says a loot naa.he is a singing superstar or sensation coz along with being the best singer in the country,he is brilliant on stage and personally a very sweet and affable human being.Thts a perfect mix....But I dunno if his success is contributed more by the last two factors than his singing....but yeah 4 me,he is my Hero and the industry considers him the best.

But yeah I agree with you talent hunts really help in getting singers popular coz ppl are more influenced by wat they see than wat they hear in general.A singer has to be good looking to be successful....Thts the sad state of affairs..........

ticks Goldie
ticks
ticks

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged

Great! I agree with you ...sonu_nigamfan

Just to veer our discussion towards.. BRANDING and MUSICIANS

Sonu is one of the Surila-Versatile singers we have today in playback and pop, but he came to this pedestral the hard  way...and his overall persona too help. There is no harm in being goodlooking. Eh!

A singer today does not need to be good-looking but have a package or an image which can be marketted. Building an Image is not about looks.... Even in Sports, you see Sachin is not good-looking in the conventional way but the whole package of him being a Class batsman and charm makes him an ICON, he was taken under the wings by avtg companies who built his image and BRAND .

David Beckam he is a great footballer but has the whole package and become an ICON. but Lata Mangeskar may not be good looking,  the overal package with excellent singing is potent enough to be marketted, and become a BRAND.

They need to consistently perform in their chosen fields and also have the package, to really be up there as ICONS.....(what we call as personal branding I suppose....) BRANDING is not about looks.. Sonu Nigum and the other successful Musicians may go for an Branding (which is a process).Smile

http://www.indiainfoline.com/bisc/perb.html

http://www.business-standard.com/strategist/storypage.php?ch klogin=N&autono=196266&lselect=2&leftnm=lmnu7&am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;leftindx=7

http://ia.rediff.com/money/2006/feb/04sachin.htm?q=bp&fi le=.htm

Perhaps  we have been taught to respect any form of ART and patronise it, but alas the maases do not have that sort of awareness, which is not a bad thing slowly they can be taught, they would rather download music and films to watch it. Again no harm, if they atleast buy the ones they appreciate. I am an eternal Optimist!

Now that is the Sorry state of affairs, where piracy and plagiarize is rampant and not having goodlooking musiciansLOL!LOL...

I dont mind if a Shahrukh who can also Sing and Dance WinkLOL 

I love my men to be goodlooking Ha! Ha!

Edited by ticks - 25 March 2006 at 5:31pm
anonmember IF-Sizzlerz
anonmember
anonmember

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 5:31pm | IP Logged
Yes, branding is important. Singers need to keep reinventing themselves as well, just like actors do, in addition to performing consistently well. Shows like II2, FG, SRGMP help the contestants in attaining an image, which may be a reason why Abhijeet, Qazi and Rupu are very popular today. Qazi wasn't the best singer in FG, but he had the image/brand from the start. He set himself apart from the hundreds of other contestants who auditioned for FG. He was one of the first contestants I noticed in the auditions.

So if you want to be successful, you have to market yourself well to the public. Its def not just about looks, but having people identify with you and your music and having endearing qualities, I suppose. With so many aspiring singers, its easy to get lost in the crowd.

Edited by sonyaee - 25 March 2006 at 5:32pm
sonu_nigamfan IF-Rockerz
sonu_nigamfan
sonu_nigamfan

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 2:00am | IP Logged
Yup I agree with you ticks,the consistent success in ur respective fields is very very important.If u get a BIG hit in watever field,u r the topic of discussion everywhere but if U dont perform upto that level next time the same ppl will boo at u.Sachim was booed at Mumbai naa when he got dismissed poorly.So yeah consistency is the KEY here......

yeah a singer has to market himself or herself thts true.PPl are looking 4 a star who shines among the otherwise normal crowd.Along with talent u also need the confidence and ability to showcase it in the way tht suits the public.....U need to b different and u need to keep reinventing urself based on the current taste....one day it cud b melody,the next day it will be hi music.So basically I guess the singer needs to be VERSATILE and ENERGETIC.Which is wat I think is the reason 4 the success of Sonu Nigam(sorry guys if I am saying Sonu Nigam too many times but u can see from my Id that I am a die hard fan...a singer myself,I consider him my Guru thts why Tongue Tongue Tongue )
sonu_nigamfan IF-Rockerz
sonu_nigamfan
sonu_nigamfan

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 5:30am | IP Logged
Hey even I dunno if its the rite thread to say it but....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY SEAN Embarrassed
ticks Goldie
ticks
ticks

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 3:49am | IP Logged
Slowly but surely we are getting there....

No fat-salary, IIM grad looks upto Abhijit Sawant..
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=65350

Saregama-HMV joins Dhwani to promote classical music
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/1675/

Edited by ticks - 01 April 2006 at 3:49am
madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged
ticks ji, just a few comments on that

- I think the singers like Sonu Nigam are youth icons are to more part of India than are Narayan Murthy or an Ambani.. Look at the turnout for any of the reality shows auditions.. The number of people who come and most of them sing Sonu Nigam songs. A lot of people in India atleast think that they have hte potential to become the next Sonu Nigam of India. How many average youth, barring the ones who are in Software or into Business look upto Narayan Murthy or Ambani. The singers have a reach from a 5 year old to a 50 year old while a Narayan Murthy or Ambani have a threshold of people from 19 - 40 and for people in that field. I would like to say that Cricketers and Bollywood actors are probably the most popular youth Icons..

- I dont think Abhijit Sawant or Qazi/Rupu have carved a niche for themselves in being music icons. At the end of the day, they HAVE to do play back... Indian Pop Scene isn't that big as the bollywood scene is. So many pop groups have come and gone but very few have managed to leave an impact. Even singers like Adnan Sami who started off as a pop star had to move onto Bollywood movies.. Bollywood movie has a far n wide reach throughout india as compared to pop music. Rite now they are music idols but soon they are going to also become 'struggling' play back singers.

- Do we really need a Music Icon? A country that has produced a Lata Mangeshkar, Rafi, Asha Bhonsle, Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Mukesh, S P Balasubramanium, M S Subbalaksmi, Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Dr. Balamurli Krishna, Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, Pt. Jasraj, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Sonu Nigam, Shaan, Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Sadhana Sargam, Chitra, K K, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shreya Goshal and many many more great singers, who have captured the hearts of so many variety of people around the world, I think we have enough music icons and idols to look upto!
anonmember IF-Sizzlerz
anonmember
anonmember

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 2:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ticks

Slowly but surely we are getting there....

No fat-salary, IIM grad looks upto Abhijit Sawant..
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=65350

Saregama-HMV joins Dhwani to promote classical music
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/1675/

Thanks for the articles ticks. The second article is encouraging. Now I'm curious to see how they'll repackage Indian classical music. Having concerts throughout India is a good start.

Go to top