Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Middle Class Values (Page 5)

Nope123 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

serendipity235momma1128.Sad.But.True.

momma1128 IF-Sizzlerz
momma1128
momma1128

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by HeadOverHeels

Same beliefs, same practices, undertaken by some people with little to no application of common sense, or ability to look past short term solutions to pacify society. She applied the same mindset to ASR when she conned him into doing Pooja, the same with bringing La back to RM, dressing her up as a bride, refusing to understand the deeper aspects of these very personal relationships, just so it was all done the way it's "supposed" to be done. 

Your post was spot on!

@bold - yes, this is what i was trying to convey.  Khushi tries to pacify society through wacky means.  And it is the societal norms which she is trying to mollify are traditional ones.  Her end result is always in line with what is 'expected' of society but her means are unorthodox.  I don't know why middle class traditional values is such a dirty connotation.  Khushi is a traditional young woman and this is the thing that turned ASR off from her, particularly because she reminded him of his traditional upbringing.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

HeadOverHeels

momma1128 IF-Sizzlerz
momma1128
momma1128

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by somzz007

Originally posted by momma1128

In a sense, Khushi is enabling Anjali's histrionics and her beliefs. By keeping quiet (which I understand to some extent because who is she to tell this woman your husband has been chasing me for months now. Why she didn't tell her that the engagement breaking was her CHOICE I don't know) , and as shown in the SBB clip, making her family keep quiet about Shyam, she is sending a message which I suppose most of the saas audience will understand - ultimately, it does not matter for a woman whom she is married to, it just matters that she is married. This is in direct contrast to La and ASR "modern" relationship, where it was all about self determination.

Here we are in this forum arguing about a more modern Khushi, a financially independent Khushi (she's a working girl, but not as emancipated as La was), a Khushi who will stand up to any man who keeps her down. And what the CVs are showing us is that ultimately, Khushi's value system is still set to strong middle class TRADITIONAL code. She can be strong, she can be stubborn and she can be a fighter - and she is all these things - but she will be within the limitations of this context only. It is not a bad thing as it is what makes her stay firm in her belief that principles not money dictate self worth, but the flip side is that it is also dictates these gender roles, particularly that of the woman being a martyr for all (and this point is one that I think sucks asphalt).

Actually I don't think class has anything to do with it..I am educated ,from upper middle class ,modern ,independent ..blah blah but if I was in Khushi's place I would have kept my mouth shut too.Cos she is plain crazy to the point of being psychotic.. If mangalsutra falling can send her into a seizure then telling her about her husband's misdeed would be like pushing her from a cliff.So yup Khushi did it cos she saw Anjali's concern towards her husband.

I understand her not telling, as I mentioned, but I do not understand not telling that she broke off her engagement.  Would you have also made the promise to make sure her marriage stayed in tact to an adulterer??

sbk2

HeadOverHeels Goldie
HeadOverHeels
HeadOverHeels

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by HeadOverHeels

Same beliefs, same practices, undertaken by some people with little to no application of common sense, or ability to look past short term solutions to pacify society. She applied the same mindset to ASR when she conned him into doing Pooja, the same with bringing La back to RM, dressing her up as a bride, refusing to understand the deeper aspects of these very personal relationships, just so it was all done the way it's "supposed" to be done. 

Your post was spot on!

@bold - yes, this is what i was trying to convey.  Khushi tries to pacify society through wacky means.  And it is the societal norms which she is trying to mollify are traditional ones.  Her end result is always in line with what is 'expected' of society but her means are unorthodox.  I don't know why middle class traditional values is such a dirty connotation.  Khushi is a traditional young woman and this is the thing that turned ASR off from her, particularly because she reminded him of his traditional upbringing.

I don't know why it is either. It sometimes needs to be identified as such, and if people are what they are, then hey.. Own it.

Edited by HeadOverHeels - 14 December 2011 at 8:12pm

momma1128

areeba_blossom IF-Sizzlerz
areeba_blossom
areeba_blossom

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:14pm | IP Logged
The other day, we were debating in our English class that if a woman's husband cheats on her, and you know it so should go and tell that woman the truth! many said that they would be rather better without knowing the truth cuz atleast they'll  have a happy life!
My teacher said that her brother cheated on his wife for one day as he was at a party late and had many drinks! He came home the next day and made irrelevant excuses! After a month his wife found it, but they sorted it out with a week long cold war and then a settled calm conversation! Her brother got married at 21 and this incident happened after a year of his marriage! My teacher herself is 54 year old and her brother was elder than her! 

I think its a matter how you react!! I agree with Sush di, Anjali's reaction was pathetic! Khushi was determined to tell her the truth to save her from further misunderstandings if they ever occur, but Anjali's pathetic reaction just when the mangalsutre didn't even drop to the floor showed how much HELP SHE LITERALLY NEEDS!!!

As the Prcap suggests, Khushi did told Anjali the whole truth about Shyam, but she just didn't tell him that Shyam's married TO HER!! 

Anjali's reaction was the thing that shook Khushi, because she respects her like a older sister and she really wouldn't want to see her breaking more!!

I just hope she tells it to Arnav!

momma1128

Nope123 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

pinky_blueskiesmomma1128sbk2incandescent

sheela83 Senior Member
sheela83
sheela83

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged
I dont understand La wanting to keep the privacy of her breakup from the family when their engagement is just a day away. Any comments ?
surenkal Goldie
surenkal
surenkal

Posted: 14 December 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged

In a sense, Khushi is enabling Anjali's histrionics and her beliefs. By keeping quiet (which I understand to some extent because who is she to tell this woman your husband has been chasing me for months now. Why she didn't tell her that the engagement breaking was her CHOICE I don't know) , and as shown in the SBB clip, making her family keep quiet about Shyam, she is sending a message which I suppose most of the saas audience will understand - ultimately, it does not matter for a woman whom she is married to, it just matters that she is married. This is in direct contrast to La and ASR "modern" relationship, where it was all about self determination.

Here we are in this forum arguing about a more modern Khushi, a financially independent Khushi (she's a working girl, but not as emancipated as La was), a Khushi who will stand up to any man who keeps her down. And what the CVs are showing us is that ultimately, Khushi's value system is still set to strong middle class TRADITIONAL code. She can be strong, she can be stubborn and she can be a fighter - and she is all these things - but she will be within the limitations of this context only. It is not a bad thing as it is what makes her stay firm in her belief that principles not money dictate self worth, but the flip side is that it is also dictates these gender roles, particularly that of the woman being a martyr for all (and this point is one that I think sucks asphalt).

Sorry but I disagree with you... These are not MIDDLE Class values. These are convoluted Indian values. Knowing that your friend's husband is cheating or your male relative is doing something wrong and yet keeping quiet about it so that the marriage goes one happens in all stratas of Indian society perhaps more in the rich class. It is wrong and it should not happen.
At the end of this deception if Khushi suffers she deserves it because she did not have the right to hide such a big thing about Anajali husband, It justifies Arnav's rage against her

momma1128

Go to top