momma1128 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
In a sense, Khushi is enabling Anjali's histrionics and her beliefs. By keeping quiet (which I understand to some extent because who is she to tell this woman your husband has been chasing me for months now. Why she didn't tell her that the engagement breaking was her CHOICE I don't know) , and as shown in the SBB clip, making her family keep quiet about Shyam, she is sending a message which I suppose most of the saas audience will understand - ultimately, it does not matter for a woman whom she is married to, it just matters that she is married. This is in direct contrast to La and ASR "modern" relationship, where it was all about self determination.

Here we are in this forum arguing about a more modern Khushi, a financially independent Khushi (she's a working girl, but not as emancipated as La was), a Khushi who will stand up to any man who keeps her down. And what the CVs are showing us is that ultimately, Khushi's value system is still set to strong middle class TRADITIONAL code. She can be strong, she can be stubborn and she can be a fighter - and she is all these things - but she will be within the limitations of this context only. It is not a bad thing as it is what makes her stay firm in her belief that principles not money dictate self worth, but the flip side is that it is also dictates these gender roles, particularly that of the woman being a martyr for all (and this point is one that I think sucks asphalt).
Edited by momma1128 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

honestyfirst thumbnail
Originally posted by: momma1128

In a sense, Khushi is enabling Anjali's histrionics and her beliefs.  By keeping quiet (which I understand to some extent because who is she to tell this woman your husband has been chasing me for months now.  Why she didn't tell her that the engagement breaking was her CHOICE I don't know) , and as shown in the SBB clip, making her family keep quiet about Shyam, she is sending a message which I suppose most of the saas audience will understand - ultimately, it does not matter for a woman whom she is married to, it just matters that she is married.  This is in direct contrast to La and ASR "modern" relationship, where it was all about self determination.

Here we are in this forum arguing about a more modern Khushi, a financially independent Khushi (she's a working girl, but not as emancipated as La was), a Khushi who will stand up to any man who keeps her down.  And what the CVs are showing us is that ultimately, Khushi's value system is still set to strong middle class TRADITIONAL code.  She can be strong, she can be stubborn and she can be a fighter - and she is all these things - but she will be within the limitations of this context only.  It is not a bad thing as it is what makes her stay firm in her belief that principles not money dictate self worth, but the flip side is that it is also dictates these gender roles, particularly that of the woman being a martyr for all (and this point is one that I think sucks asphalt).

i agree n there is a reason why she did not told whole truth ...she saw how much anjali loves shayam...how can u expect from her to tell truth n ruin everything...people say even lie to save someone life she is just hiding the truth for saving anjalis happiness, her life
-Sush- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Anu, I actually do not agree with your charcaterization that it is Khushi's middle class value system that is making her keep quiet...On the contrarary...Payal, bua, abbuji and Khushi all who are from that class strongly believed in disclosing it to Anj...and doing so without wait...The reason she kept quiet is not her values but because she thought she saw a sign...It is more faith in 'seeing signs" than going with her gut and what her value system is...

The other reason was Anj's pathetic eaction to the Mangalsutra breaking...Khushi just did not have the heart to pull Anj out of the La La land..she thought Anj will not be able to take this news...and ended up promising to Anj that she will save her marriage...
Edited by MsUniverse - 12 years ago
honestyfirst thumbnail
Originally posted by: MsUniverse

Anu, I actually do not agree with your charcaterization that it is Khushi's middle class value system that is making her keep quiet...On the contrarary...Payal, bua, abbuji and Khushi all who are from that class strongly believed in disclosing it to Anj...and doing so without wait...The reason she kept quiet is not her values but because she thought she saw a sign...It is more faith in 'seeing signs" than going with her gut and what her value system is...

The other reason was Anj's pathetic eaction to the Mangalsutra breaking...Khushi just did not have the heart to pull Anj out of the La La land..she thought Anj will not be able to take this news...and ended up promising to Anj that she will save her marriage...

yup i agree ...she did this only for anjali
.Sad.But.True. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I SO agree with you !!
I mean this also going to be the reason for all the troubles between ArHi in the future.ASR misunderstanding her and considering her to be selfish,gold digger and etc.I will definitely not be surprised if all that happens.Honestly sometimes I do feel that she is the reason behind all her problems with ASR indirectly.Truly Sanka devi !!😆
.Sad.But.True. thumbnail

Yes I get that but Anjali will come to know about Shyam's nature someday.Whats the use of keeping her in the dark ?
sbk2 thumbnail
Anu,

I think she took the decision after seeing how important Shyam is to Anjali.
She is hiding the truth to protect Anjali's happiness and world!

Plus, she does not know the entire truth about Shyam. All she knows is that he lied and got engaged to her despite being married. 
So probably in her mind his actions are not that heinous and she thinks if given a chance he'll go back to keeping Anjali happy.

Whatever it is, she does not want Anjali's world to shatter, since Khushi got a dose of Anji's 
pati-vrata histrionics...

Edited by sbk2 - 12 years ago
apsa thumbnail
She can hide Shyam's name as much as she wants.

But she can tell that Khushi broke the engagement because she found out that her fiance was a married man.

WTH...
Marybarton thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 8
Khushi took an emotional decision because she likes to see everyone happy. I don't think it was part of her lower middle class way of thinking. It is the same decision Arnav will take and he's not middle class either.

They are both doing it out of love, to spare Anjali because she is already damaged by her past. It is weakness on their part because they think Anjali's condition makes her more vulnerable.

While you put a good question, your criticism was off. I don't think there is anything wrong with middle class traditional values. In fact, they would say that Khushi tell Anjali the truth. Anjali's values on the other end are traditional. And perhaps a little too devoted and forgiving, but it does not have anything to do with class.

Edited by Marybarton - 12 years ago
LadyLaLa thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Exactly my views too... its not her middle class values but  the plight of Anjali which prevented khusi from speaking the truth... especially when Anji said uke bina hum kuch bhi nahin hai (which is beyond me) which broke Khushi's willpower to speak the truth.. that's when Khushi told her woh teek hai, aap ki shaadi bhi nahin tootegi or something like that...

Edited by LadyLaLa - 12 years ago