Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Sitar invention (w/ sound clip) (Page 3)

Swar_Raj IF-Dazzler
Swar_Raj
Swar_Raj

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged
Does Violin has anything common with them too...Sorry if dumb question. I donot play either but my daughter is in 4th year of Violin and wishes to learn Sitar during summer vaction in India. Is it going to create any conflict ..should we wait as she is 11yrs

kishore_bhakta Senior Member
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged
So many factors come in consideration in playing sitar:

1) Age. I don't know how old your daughter is, but it would be a good idea to start around age 12 or so.

2) Time constraints. Sitar takes a great deal of time to learn. Sitar is such an instrument where when you purchase or even begin to learn it, you cannot just stop. The amount of money required to purchase a great sitar to practice or to perform with is enough to get you to stick with the instrument. Having said that, there must be time every day to practice, for an hour or two hours per day.

3) Tolerance to pain. Sitar can be painful in his half lotus position for people not used to it. Even if one conquered that, the first few days of playing sitar will be very very painful to the hands. Fretting the strings on nicely tightened strings against the parda (the frets) HURT!! I was 18 when I took up sitar and I would complain of the pain I had on my index and middle fingers. But that pain is needed in order for your fingers to develop nice calluses. Then once you think you got past that hurdle, playing meends will really do the trick. (Pulling the string to makes bends in notes). Depending on how many notes you want to hit using one fret, you will build more stimulus to your fingers. Doing this often will begin to build thicker calluses.

This is true with sitars to C on a regular size. For regular sized sitars tuned to D and above... God bless your fingers! Clap
seema_17 IF-Rockerz
seema_17
seema_17

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
my god i remember the pain i used to feel while pulling the violin strings from my violin playing times.... but i never did get the time to develop the calluses, i remember everytime after those half an hour classes my hands used to be sore LOL
Swar_Raj IF-Dazzler
Swar_Raj
Swar_Raj

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

So many factors come in consideration in playing sitar:

1) Age. I don't know how old your daughter is, but it would be a good idea to start around age 12 or so.

2) Time constraints. Sitar takes a great deal of time to learn. Sitar is such an instrument where when you purchase or even begin to learn it, you cannot just stop. The amount of money required to purchase a great sitar to practice or to perform with is enough to get you to stick with the instrument. Having said that, there must be time every day to practice, for an hour or two hours per day.

3) Tolerance to pain. Sitar can be painful in his half lotus position for people not used to it. Even if one conquered that, the first few days of playing sitar will be very very painful to the hands. Fretting the strings on nicely tightened strings against the parda (the frets) HURT!! I was 18 when I took up sitar and I would complain of the pain I had on my index and middle fingers. But that pain is needed in order for your fingers to develop nice calluses. Then once you think you got past that hurdle, playing meends will really do the trick. (Pulling the string to makes bends in notes). Depending on how many notes you want to hit using one fret, you will build more stimulus to your fingers. Doing this often will begin to build thicker calluses.

This is true with sitars to C on a regular size. For regular sized sitars tuned to D and above... God bless your fingers! Clap

Thanks KB JI

She is 11...i think i will wait couple of years .  THis was helpful

punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 8:03am | IP Logged
Good God, calluses? I am HORRIFIED. You mean all sitar players have calluses on their fingers?

Go to top