Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Sitar invention (w/ sound clip) (Page 2)

kishore_bhakta Senior Member
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged

Originally posted by luvmusic

KB ji

it was wonderful...wish it was longer(the audio piece)....

my best wishes for your invention...

Thank you!

That piece was from something I recorded few months ago. It was an eight minute track on Raga Madhyamad Sarang. I only took a thirty second clip for a good sample. It's in lo-quality, so I didn't want to u/l the whole thing.

I'll record something later on and I'll post it using the sitar-guitar.

kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged

Originally posted by adwarakanath

It was fantastic, bhaktada! Smile

I was wondering whether the Harmnioum can be adapted...you know....add 12 more keys to the existing scale...and such

Thanks!

Not yet. But there has been one significant progress.

There is a new harmonium called the samvadini. The samvadini (literally means "harmony descendant") has the same look of the harmonium, but it is not equally tempered. It is tune to the pure intervals, instead of the equally tempered chromatic used in Western music. IIRC, a tuning mechanism wasn't invented yet.

On the top of the samvadini, (where you usally see the top board where the manufacturer's name is engraved in wood), there is a swarmandal which acts like sympathetic strings. Whenver you play a certain note, that string will ring out.

I am wondering if a more ornament-friendly harmonium will exist. But Ud. Alla Rakkha was pleased at this adaptation of the harmonium. He feel that is one step of the many steps needed to make this suit to the true needs of Indian music.

If there were 22 keys representing the twelve, srutis, you'd still have a problem. You would have to 'guess' which sruti of Dha (for example) you will needed to hit.

Meends would sound too rough on this. If you have studied calculus, here is a calculus example:

Meend is a curve. Using harmonium keys for meends make it look like steps! The more keys you add, the more the series of steps look like a curve. As the number of steps approaches infinity (the concept of limit and integral for arc length apply here), then you closer and closer to the mould of the curve. The meend, in reality, touches every microtone from the start note to the finish note. Adding more keys to the harmonium to make better ornaments may sound like a great idea, but actually play each microtone to do meends will just sound.... bad.

Barnali IF-Rockerz
Barnali
Barnali

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

KB ji

Thank you!

That piece was from something I recorded few months ago. It was an eight minute track on Raga Madhyamad Sarang. I only took a thirty second clip for a good sample. It's in lo-quality, so I didn't want to u/l the whole thing.

Would wait for the audio sample. Yur idea is a gud one I must say. Had the same query abt the strings as the pic. shows 6 strings.

I just hav another query regarding the tumba. Will yur choice giv the same resonance as the gourd tumba thats generally used.

kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Barnali

Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

KB ji

Thank you!

Would wait for the audio sample. Yur idea is a gud one I must say. Had the same query abt the strings as the pic. shows 6 strings.

I just hav another query regarding the tumba. Will yur choice giv the same resonance as the gourd tumba thats generally used.

The sound of the sitar comes from the bridge. The sustain of the sitar is due to the length of the strings (the first strng is tuned to ma of the lower octave). The tumba of this new sitar would be a little more louder as the tumba will be bigger than the sitar and have a sound hole allowing more sound to come out.

Those who own sitar, don't gouge a hole through your tumba!

kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged

Here is a photo of one:

If you ask DMS music in Delhi, I'm sure they could manufacture it for you.

kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged
Speaking of inventions, here is a pic I found online of an electric sitar/esraj.

luvmusic Goldie
luvmusic
luvmusic

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged

[/QUOTE]

The sound of the sitar comes from the bridge. The sustain of the sitar is due to the length of the strings (the first strng is tuned to ma of the lower octave). The tumba of this new sitar would be a little more louder as the tumba will be bigger than the sitar and have a sound hole allowing more sound to come out.

Those who own sitar, don't gouge a hole through your tumba!

[/QUOTE]

LOL Thanks KB ji will wait for ur entire piece of music.

Veena has this hole in one of its tumbas , the one on the right end, where u do the fingering.My mother tells me, when I was a kid I used to put my ear to the other end tumba(without hole) n sleep when she used to practise for any concert....LOL

kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged

The top tumba is usually screwed on with wood these days on sitar (this means, it is also detacheable... don't want the mods misinterpretating what I said) LOL.

The Ravi Shankar models have that removable top tumba. It doesn't really do much difference and the sound and this is true if you were to do a blindfold test.

These Ravi Shankar hardly ever carries the top tumba. I don't carry one either, as it doesn't look appealing in my humble opinion.

Edited by kishore_bhakta - 24 March 2006 at 9:18am

Go to top