Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Drums of India (Page 5)

juggyE Goldie
juggyE
juggyE

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 11:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

Originally posted by sreejan

thankyou bhakthaji ...i have listened to most of these .......khol i never heard of ....where is it used ?

Bengali bhajans and kirtans.

If you guys like, I can post a clip of me playing esraj few years ago with khol as the drum.

Thanks for this interesting post KB ji...

mridanga (khol) is used a lot for their sankeertans by Gauda Vaishnavas (followers of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu).

Edited by juggyE - 26 March 2006 at 11:19am

juggyE Goldie
juggyE
juggyE

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged

Dholak is a fun instrument. The problem lies with (and this is true with any instrument) purchasing a good one! The rassi walla (rope ones) can't tune so high compared to the bolt one. I usually tune it to the fourth or fifth of the song. People find it strange considering that dholaks were "never meant to be tuned"

KB ji,
What do the ustaads normally use for tabla - Is it rope or the bolt one? I usually sit far back (cheaper tickets LOL) so, have never been able to figure out...
roy IF-Rockerz
roy
roy

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged

wow grt topic .

i love to play drums LOL

and drums in india are manufactured by jenex timber mart LOL

and are made up of timberwood , other woods aswell LOL

j/k pls dont mind

btw  i dont know much abt classical music but have high respect and appretiation for classical music which is the real thing.

Edited by rage797 - 26 March 2006 at 11:27am
kishore_bhakta Senior Member
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 26 March 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by juggyE

Dholak is a fun instrument. The problem lies with (and this is true with any instrument) purchasing a good one! The rassi walla (rope ones) can't tune so high compared to the bolt one. I usually tune it to the fourth or fifth of the song. People find it strange considering that dholaks were "never meant to be tuned"

KB ji,
What do the ustaads normally use for tabla - Is it rope or the bolt one? I usually sit far back (cheaper tickets LOL) so, have never been able to figure out...

Almost everone uses the "rope version." Acutally, it is not made of rope. It is made of leather straps that is fastened through the gajara (outermost part of the tabla head) and the kundal (the part no one can see).

I own a both sets (a bolt set and a leather straps set). I find both of them sounding really well, but only advantage I see is that bolts are easier to re-head when the tabla head dies out. The leather straps are the one where I need a lot of free time and space to rehead.

GheuntaakGhati Senior Member
GheuntaakGhati
GheuntaakGhati

Posted: 31 March 2006 at 6:17pm | IP Logged
Thanks Kishoreji. The rythm of all these drums is mind-blowing. If you notice most of the songs which have become hits are dominated with either the dholak or the tabla....As I said, the rythm created is a sure-fire hit.

By the way, have you seen the Master percussionist SIVAMANI in action ???? any one got his vide clips ?? appreciate if you can upload... Big smile

Go to top