Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kishore_bhakta thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by: kishore_bhakta

Dhol = the heads are almost the same size. Bigger than dholak, played with sticks

Dholak = much smaller, the small head is 6 inches and the big head is 9 inches. THe baya has dholak massala inside the the head, and played by heands.

Dholaki (aka naal) is taller than dholak, the dayan is smaller than dholak (even tabla for that matter). It sounds like a high pitched tabla with bad sustain. The dayan head looks like a tabla head w/ syahi, but no kinnar. The baya head has dholak massala in the inside and uses a gajara rim rather than leather rolled up.

Barnali thumbnail

Bengali bhajans and kirtans.

yes yu are right it is very popular in bengali bhajans and kirtans. Kirtans more....

Khol is actually from the north east. Khol is used as a compulsary instrument in the NE folk music. its body is made of clay wth small right head smaller and left head larger. These days it has become a popular instrument among the ISKON people.

OrangeSoft thumbnail

I am playing esraj. I posted a link few postings ago in this thread about my recording of the esraj, but when I was fresh!. (WARNING: this is not the best work, but if I find any better recordings, I'll post it.)

http://rapidshare.de/files/16276630/dhani.ram.html

I liked that! 👏

😳

Edited by OrangeSoft - 18 years ago
kishore_bhakta thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

Thanks for the recording, bhaktada. Raag Dhani sounds quite mournful. But it's lovely! 😊

Thank you, Abhi!

Again, it was my lack of knowledge of how to play a raga correctly. I was so foolish that I used to make Puriya Dhanasri and Marwa sound like eerie ragas (well, Marwa does sound eerie with its tendency to skip Sa, lack of Pa or Ma, and the shuddha dha) and make Darbari sound like it was a morning raga.

kishore_bhakta thumbnail
😊
Originally posted by: OrangeSoft

I liked that!

😳

Thank you! 😊

coolsaints11 thumbnail
Bhakta ji, who used the dholak most among our MD's..was it LP
kishore_bhakta thumbnail
LP :-) One of my friends (who didn't like LP) used to call them "Lachho Dholak Pyare."

They are the ones who really put dholak in full use. In Challenge 2005, AS said that the two special "LP signature" laggis heard in songs like "Kuncham Kuncham" from Imaan Dharam and "Saat Ajube Iss Duniya Mein" from Dharam Veer are forever disappeared. I can honestly say that I have not heard any music director use that rhythm or did a good job applying it.
luvmusic thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you very much for the informative post KB ji...
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Excellent and informative thread. I love tabla of course but I also like pakhawaj. It has such a deep sound - something magical about it! I read somewhere that it is considered a MALE percussion instrument, indeed there is something so powerful about it.
madhavi_r108 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Barnali

yes yu are right it is very popular in bengali bhajans and kirtans. Kirtans more....

Khol is actually from the north east. Khol is used as a compulsary instrument in the NE folk music. its body is made of clay wth small right head smaller and left head larger. These days it has become a popular instrument among the ISKON people.

I thought it was a mrdangam that was made popular by ISKCON devotees...

Just a rookie question, in lay mans terms how would u make the difference ? I can make the difference between a Tabla and a Mrdangam..the others all sound similar to me !!

and which of these instruments come from which part of India!

Thanks a lot kishore_bhakta ji for an amazing post !!!👏