Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Songless Indian Films by S.D Burman (Page 3)

punjini IF-Dazzler
punjini
punjini

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 6:53am | IP Logged
Did SD Burman write the article in Bengali or English? I am curious to know! How right he is about songs picturised badly being so painful to watch. Oh Burmanda, wish you were here!

Anyway, talking about songless films, my all time favourite is 'Ek Ruka hua Faisla"' It is one of the best Hindi movies I have ever seen. It is the story of how a jury which is initially least interested in giving a proper judgement gets turned around by one man (played by KK Raina) who makes them ponder over the case and come out with the right verdict. The plot is almost like a John Grisham story.

musicpulse Senior Member
musicpulse
musicpulse

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged

Originally posted by punjini

Did SD Burman write the article in Bengali or English? I am curious to know! How right he is about songs picturised badly being so painful to watch. Oh Burmanda, wish you were here!

Anyway, talking about songless films, my all time favourite is 'Ek Ruka hua Faisla"' It is one of the best Hindi movies I have ever seen. It is the story of how a jury which is initially least interested in giving a proper judgement gets turned around by one man (played by KK Raina) who makes them ponder over the case and come out with the right verdict. The plot is almost like a John Grisham story.

My fav film too.....Embarrassed...Ek ruka hua..but most art films used to be songless back then. Ek ruka hua is inspired from Agatha Chrstie's "twelve men jury".....John Grisham has attempted one such called.."runaway jury"...both books are damn good.Smile

Super songs but badly picturised are a ********Smile..but  good songs picturised on bad actors are worse...Confused

paljay IF-Rockerz
paljay
paljay

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged

John grishms Runaway jury is good book and picture based on the book is very good.

His book The firm is very good too but movie is not as good as the book

Edited by paljay - 25 March 2006 at 8:57am
mudabid Goldie
mudabid
mudabid

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by musicpulse

Originally posted by punjini

My fav film too.....Embarrassed...Ek ruka hua..but most art films used to be songless back then. Ek ruka hua is inspired from Agatha Chrstie's "twelve men jury".....John Grisham has attempted one such called.."runaway jury"...both books are damn good.Smile

Super songs but badly picturised are a ********Smile..but  good songs picturised on bad actors are worse...Confused

I have not seen 'Ek Ruka Hua Faisla' but as I mentioned above, it is inspired by '12 Angry Men' (highly recommended) which was play adapted by Reginald Rose and not from Christie's book. Although I am not sure how that was done since jury system has been abolished in India since 1960s. A movie was also made from 'Witness for the Prosecution' book by Agatha Christie which was also a courtroom drama with similar plotline so that might have lead to the mix-up.

jhsurti Groupbie
jhsurti
jhsurti

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged
'Ek ruka hua faisla' is a MUST-WATCH. Excellent direction, excellent story and beautiful acting by selected actors(by selected I mean the director has chosen his actors well - all stage artists with good acting calibre). I liked the way each indivual's life unfolds in the jury room.

I dont know if a DVD/VCD is available. Definitely worth keeping in the collection.
ab_srgmp Goldie
ab_srgmp
ab_srgmp

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by adwarakanath

Well, Pushpak was an AWESOME movie. No doubts there. It was a silent movie, and they required immense acting skills and mastery over direction to pull off what they did.

Thanks for the movie, priyaji...I'll try and get a CD. I like courtroom dramas.

I watched Pushpak a while back (when it was initially released). I may have to watch again to re-evaluate. Probably couldn't appreciate it back then. I just remember Kamal Hassan being his gross self.  I used to love the guy at one time.
Swar_Raj IF-Dazzler
Swar_Raj
Swar_Raj

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged
Only songless i saw was Itefaq and Pushpak...and I loved both..didn't even realize that it was missing song. I remeber my dad , he used to just walk out of cinema hall during song to have tea or cigratte. [:P
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged
Thanks Appa - great article Clap Clap Clap
Satyajit Ray once said 'if the songs can't be one of the characters of the movie – we don't need them' and we all know about using Kishore Kumar for a Rabindrasangeet (!) in 'Charulata' by Ray!

Aree – I didn't noticed – I became a Goldie (sounds like goldfish though Confused )

Isi baat pe – Let's rack! Thumbs Up

Go to top