Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

greatmaratha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by: mudabid

Have not seen the movie but read somewhere that Chopraji had gone to a film festival abroad where Hindi films were looked down upon as being full of songs and dances. So he took it upon himself to prove them wrong. Well hats off to him for that.

Ten years later another songless thriller came out of the Chopra camp - Ittefaq. Great acting by Nandaji and it later inspired the movie Kaun by RGV.

Yes.  Ittefaq is another such movie.

For Kanoon, B.R. Chopra ji went to the extent of getting lawyers to vet the screen play.  He went to courts all over Mumbai to get  a feel of the whole thing.  Not just the dialougues, the script, every detail of it, the mannerisms of lawyers, judges, prosecutors, the comaraderie between the members of the Bar, it is fantastic

To date, that movie remains a classic or a masterpiece on court room drama.  It depicts, almost as close to reality, as to how Court rooms in India truly are, how it functions, the mindset.

AD, if you love court room drama, catch the movie.  Wont tell you the suspense, but the movie is fantastic.  (Its probably the only movie where I liked Rajendra Kumar.  His wooden frozen expression was just the right expression for him through out the movie.)
greatmaratha thumbnail
Dont skip it for him 😆 😆 😆   I almost did the same thing.

He is just perfect in the role.

The main character is Ashok Kumar and he is perfection personified in the movie. 😃
mudabid thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: s.priya

Yes.  Ittefaq is another such movie.

For Kanoon, B.R. Chopra ji went to the extent of getting lawyers to vet the screen play.  He went to courts all over Mumbai to get  a feel of the whole thing.  Not just the dialougues, the script, every detail of it, the mannerisms of lawyers, judges, prosecutors, the comaraderie between the members of the Bar, it is fantastic

To date, that movie remains a classic or a masterpiece on court room drama.  It depicts, almost as close to reality, as to how Court rooms in India truly are, how it functions, the mindset.

AD, if you love court room drama, catch the movie.  Wont tell you the suspense, but the movie is fantastic.  (Its probably the only movie where I liked Rajendra Kumar.  His wooden frozen expression was just the right expression for him through out the movie.)

Thanks Priyaji. Will try to download this movie.

'Bestest' courtroom drama movie for me is 'A Few Good Men' - You can't handle the truth  😛  Just kidding, but I would definitely recommend 1957 classic '12 Angry Men'. Not exactly a courtroom drama but it is set in a jury room and is an intense psychological drama played out by the 12 jurors. It later inspired the movie Ek Ruka Hua Faisal by Basu Bhattacharya.

greatmaratha thumbnail
👏   Few good men is definitely the bestest amongst the best.

I was only talking of Hindi movies actually.
Mishtimoni thumbnail
Originally posted by: mdroy

One note, while it is true that Ray did not use many songs in his films, I
would like to take note of Charulata which had Ami Chini Go chini and Phule
Phule - -both well placed. I forget - -didn't Jashaghar have songs as well.
Fellow Ray fans, please refresh my recollection.

Jalsaghar had music as an integral part of the story.. Chhabi Biswas played the role of a Bengali zaminder who was a classical music afficiando..the film had music scored by the great Vilayat Khan.. featured Begum Akhter, Roshan Kumari, Waheed Khan, Bismillah Khan, Imrat Khan etc. (both on and off screen)
Edited by Mishtimoni - 18 years ago
Mishtimoni thumbnail
Interesting background info about Jalsaghar (the Music Room).. after two movies that earned awards and critical acclaim, but were box-office failures (Aporajito and Parash Pathar),Ray decided to make a 'light','fun' movie according to the 'song-and-dance' formula.. and the result was Jalsaghar, one of his most serious, refined masterpieces ( and the third B-O failure in a row) 😊
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Did SD Burman write the article in Bengali or English? I am curious to know! How right he is about songs picturised badly being so painful to watch. Oh Burmanda, wish you were here!

Anyway, talking about songless films, my all time favourite is 'Ek Ruka hua Faisla"' It is one of the best Hindi movies I have ever seen. It is the story of how a jury which is initially least interested in giving a proper judgement gets turned around by one man (played by KK Raina) who makes them ponder over the case and come out with the right verdict. The plot is almost like a John Grisham story.
musicpulse thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

Did SD Burman write the article in Bengali or English? I am curious to know! How right he is about songs picturised badly being so painful to watch. Oh Burmanda, wish you were here!

Anyway, talking about songless films, my all time favourite is 'Ek Ruka hua Faisla"' It is one of the best Hindi movies I have ever seen. It is the story of how a jury which is initially least interested in giving a proper judgement gets turned around by one man (played by KK Raina) who makes them ponder over the case and come out with the right verdict. The plot is almost like a John Grisham story.

My fav film too.....😳...Ek ruka hua..but most art films used to be songless back then. Ek ruka hua is inspired from Agatha Chrstie's "twelve men jury".....John Grisham has attempted one such called.."runaway jury"...both books are damn good.😊

Super songs but badly picturised are a ********😊..but  good songs picturised on bad actors are worse...😕

paljay thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

John grishms Runaway jury is good book and picture based on the book is very good.

His book The firm is very good too but movie is not as good as the book

Originally posted by: musicpulse

My fav film too.....😳...Ek ruka hua..but most art films used to be songless back then. Ek ruka hua is inspired from Agatha Chrstie's "twelve men jury".....John Grisham has attempted one such called.."runaway jury"...both books are damn good.😊

Super songs but badly picturised are a ********😊..but  good songs picturised on bad actors are worse...😕

I have not seen 'Ek Ruka Hua Faisla' but as I mentioned above, it is inspired by '12 Angry Men' (highly recommended) which was play adapted by Reginald Rose and not from Christie's book. Although I am not sure how that was done since jury system has been abolished in India since 1960s. A movie was also made from 'Witness for the Prosecution' book by Agatha Christie which was also a courtroom drama with similar plotline so that might have lead to the mix-up.