Giving your collection to other people

Posted: 12 years ago
Do you mind giving books from your collection to your friends and family members when they ask for it?

Call me what you wish, but I really don't like giving away my collections to my friends. First off, I love my book collection (the very limited one I've), and take pride in what I own. Once you give off your books to someone, and the same process keeps repeating and the books circulating, it's hard to find it back. Besides, even if I get it back, it's usually in such a poor condition - cover page almost entirely torn off, pages from within lost - you get the idea.

I don't mind buying books for my friends, but I'm not up for this. ðŸ˜†

What 'bout you? Put down your thoughts.
Edited by Beyond_the_Veil - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cs-07 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i agree but its mainly me who ends up tearing the front cover of someone else's  books so i stopped taking from friends. i love my own collection and i wud rather give it to people from whom il get it back. i gave to my cousin n friend in clg and i still didnt get it back :(( :P 
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Oh, I have this little-library of my own, and do I just love it?! 

It's mainly my collection of Harry Potter books and this really old, passed on Pride and Prejudice copy which looks vintage and has rust colored pages that I NEVER let anyone even touch. Otherwise, I may give away a few of my books to friends, but I'd be a hypocrite to say I like doing that, honestly. Like, no one takes care of your books like you do, do they? They keep folding away pages and what not, that sucks! 

chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I only lend mine to people that I know are going to take good care of it :)
cutemug thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hmmm, I really don't like giving my books to ppl (friends, relatives whoever it may be) for reading,
Firstly, all my books are dear to me, and (hope m not exaggerating) there are a few ones which I wont forget to take with me, even if m stuck in some calamity,😆

Secondly, I think I would still hesitate giving my books to someone, who maybe takes good care of them, but m not sure...

I dunno, I might sound obsessed, but my every book is like a coin in a coin collection, unique and special to me in its own way, with its own set of memories attached to it,
So no, i would not give my books...to anyone ðŸ¤“
Edited by cutemug - 12 years ago
Originally posted by: cutemug

Hmmm, I really don't like giving my books to ppl (friends, relatives whoever it may be) for reading,
Firstly, all my books are dear to me, and (hope m not exaggerating) there are a few ones which I wont forget to take with me, even if m stuck in some calamity,😆

Secondly, I think I would still hesitate giving my books to someone, who maybe takes good care of them, but m not sure...

I dunno, I might sound obsessed, but my every book is like a coin in a coin collection, unique and special to me in its own way, with its own set of memories attached to it,
So no, i would not give my books...to anyone ðŸ¤“

What happens when they ask it directly to you - how do you say 'no'? ðŸ˜†
cutemug thumbnail
Originally posted by: Beyond_the_Veil

Its difficult, but i try and tell them that i don't usually lend my books, i may sometimes sound rude in the process 
Another thing that i noticed and which could be opened as another separate topic is
reading habit amongst ppl,specially teenagers has reduced, i may be wrong, and even if they read,it includes novels like twilight,chetan bhagat's books etc, which (no offense) but is of low quality...
Live.Love.Laugh thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I have the same problem! It's good to know I'm not the only one :P Lol. Its not that I don't wanna give the book to them as such, I don't mind lending it to them as long as I get it back in the same condition I gave it to them. I don't like folding pages in my books either.. And I make sure I tell them not to do it tooo! But its true, others don't look after your book as much as you'd look after your own book! 

I have a problem of not being able to say no to people though. 

And yep, I agree with cutemug, not many people read books nowadays. I don't know many that do anyways.. 

Edited by Live.Love.Laugh - 12 years ago
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Beyond_the_Veil

It is so hard to say no! :/ Thankfully, no one I know is really into reading that much so they never ask 😆
cutemug thumbnail
Originally posted by: chhilt

It is so hard to say no! :/ Thankfully, no one I know is really into reading that much so they never ask 😆

True that!