Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

What musical Instrument you like/feel lik (Page 7)

kishore_bhakta Senior Member
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged
I love listening to Vilayat Khan's sitar playing. His sitar and his playing technique sounds so sweet. I hearing a sitar that doesn't buzz (bandh jawari), but it adds more fluidity and sustain to the sound.

Friends, pay attention whenever you hear sitar next time. Listen to see how much buzz you hear.

KHULLA JAWARI (full buzz) = higher volume, low sustain, heavy buzz. Pt. Ravi Shankar likes this.

MEDIUM JAWARI (not so much buzz) = mediocre volume, low sustain, not as much buzz. Pt. Nikhil Banerjee liked this.

BANDH JAWARI (least amt. of buzz) = not so high volume, high sustain, no noticeable buzz. (sounds like a guitar, if you try it out). The high sustain and lack of buzz gives it potential to do more ornaments in music and perform what is known as the "gayaki ang" or add a vocal style to the sitar or whichever instrument. Pt. Vilayat Khan liked this style. I like this style too.

TaureanT Groupbie
TaureanT
TaureanT

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:51pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

Speaking of sitar, I am working on inventing a new sitar that retains the same sound and playing technique, but much easier to maintain.

Yes I know.I started playing it as a kid and it was much bigger than my frame to handle..and at the same time the tumba is so fragile. Kishore_Bhakta ji..please enlighten me more about the Sitar you are working once you are done with it.

neela_asma Senior Member
neela_asma
neela_asma

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:55pm | IP Logged
i love to play guitar,and also love harmonium ..keyboard as i used to play those instruments.obviously i lovee to hear guitar.thts my life actually.cant live without playing it or listening it
TaureanT Groupbie
TaureanT
TaureanT

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

I love listening to Vilayat Khan's sitar playing. His sitar and his playing technique sounds so sweet. I hearing a sitar that doesn't buzz (bandh jawari), but it adds more fluidity and sustain to the sound.

Friends, pay attention whenever you hear sitar next time. Listen to see how much buzz you hear.

KHULLA JAWARI (full buzz) = higher volume, low sustain, heavy buzz. Pt. Ravi Shankar likes this.

MEDIUM JAWARI (not so much buzz) = mediocre volume, low sustain, not as much buzz. Pt. Nikhil Banerjee liked this.

BANDH JAWARI (least amt. of buzz) = not so high volume, high sustain, no noticeable buzz. (sounds like a guitar, if you try it out). The high sustain and lack of buzz gives it potential to do more ornaments in music and perform what is known as the "gayaki ang" or add a vocal style to the sitar or whichever instrument. Pt. Vilayat Khan liked this style. I like this style too.

I agree..and I too like Bandh Jawari..but my Guruji unforunately liked Khula Jawari and always insisited me to follow that..so I learnt that way. Here in US we generally get CDs of Pt. Ravi Shankar only in the bookstores..I am looking for a CD of Ustad Vilayat Ali Khan.

coolsaints11 Senior Member
coolsaints11
coolsaints11

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by adwarakanath

Originally posted by Bhaskar.T

Originally posted by coolsaints11

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Gopichand plays my favourite instrument...the Badminton Racquet Wink

I can't play an instrument to save my life...had bad experiance with the Harmonium when I was young LOL .

I would love to learn how to play the Tabla and sing...'Shrutir mata, layam pitha Wink '
LOLyeh harmonium kya bijli vijli se chalta tha...Confused

LOLLOLLOL

Abhi can you share the experience.

LOL

When I was in the 5th class, our music teacher hit on a new idea. He divied the class into two parts, 25 students each. One batch he sent down to the green room cum music room, one he retained in the class for vocal training.

The 25 students in instrumental training were then divided into 5-5 each...Harmonium, Guitar, Tabla, Drums and Synth. TO my bad luck, I landed up with the Harmonium.

Sir's first lesson - he showed us the scale, the keys and how to pump air. Then he sang the sargam of Raag Bhairav and told us to play it.LOL. We were like ConfusedConfusedConfused how the hell do we play the meend?

At the end of the year, I was the only one left with the Harmonium trying to play S R G m P D N S' and still not managing it LOLLOL
Ouch don't worry Abhi bhai...slow and steady wins the raceWink
*Jaya* IF-Sizzlerz
*Jaya*
*Jaya*

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:05pm | IP Logged
Harmonium is something I used to play long back when I was learning music... Love to listen to Sarod, Santoor and Flute Embarrassed
mrsmotwani39 Groupbie
mrsmotwani39
mrsmotwani39

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:10pm | IP Logged
i play the clarinet..bt i don't have any pictures of it Confused
coolsaints11 Senior Member
coolsaints11
coolsaints11

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:14pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sima Samuel

My fav. are Sitar & Saxaphone... can't find a pic now cause am at work..

Sima ji, thanks for replying from work...should say double thanksBig smile

Go to top