Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Evolution in Modern Indian Music (Page 3)

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged
Mohinis, alright, their music is raaga based. Now can we continue with the rest of the discussion.

Mishtimoni Groupbie
Mishtimoni
Mishtimoni

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
Coming back to the point, the only issue I have with harmonium is that I hate its sound..and its chromatic structure..

But I agree with Salil Chowdhury in most part about evolution of culture.. sometimes when we talk about INDIAN CULTURE, we forget about the various streams from all over the world that have been integrated within the subcontinent's culture(it's second major religion came from outside its geographical boundary, so did the structure of Hindustani music) .. in that sense, no culture is 'pure', as long as it has come into contact with other cultures..

There will be things that we will adopt in the long run, things we will reject, and 500 years down the line people will take those adopted things as part of the 'Pure' Indian culture and will argue about some new set of 'foreign influences!!! Wink
Mishtimoni Groupbie
Mishtimoni
Mishtimoni

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Shantibai

Originally posted by Mishtimoni

Coming back to the point, the only issue I have with harmonium is that I hate its sound..and its chromatic structure..

But I agree with Salil Chowdhury in most part about evolution of culture.. sometimes when we talk about INDIAN CULTURE, we forget about the various streams from all over the world that have been integrated within the subcontinent's culture(it's second major religion came from outside its geographical boundary, so did the structure of Hindustani music) .. in that sense, no culture is 'pure', as long as it has come into contact with other cultures..

There will be things that we will adopt in the long run, things we will reject, and 500 years down the line people will take those adopted things as part of the 'Pure' Indian culture and will argue about some new set of 'foreign influences!!! Wink

in a nutshell (mmmmmmmmmsome nut some shell this one LOL)

longevity determines that particular culture

Yup!!
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:01pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Tere Naam songs were Raga based. Yes. But they were all rehases of L-P's songs from the 60s and 70s and HR himself has admitted that.
Mohini, learn, that not everyone in this world will agree with you all the time. You need to learn to agree to disagree. If we don't like a person and we talk against him, we have a very valid reason for doing so. You talked so much against ID and Debo...but we didn't spam your threads like you do. You've already spoilt the atmosphere of three threads. You don't possess an inch of musical knowledge yourself and you're arguing with Priyaji and Appaji. Get a life.

Priyaji has asked you atleast TEN time - POST THE NAMES OF THE RAGAS ON WHICH THE SONGS OF TERE NAAM ARE BASED.

Is it so difficult to answer that? DOn't post articles where they say the songs are raga based. I can write that Metallica's next album is raga based. That doesn't prove anything.

When you argue, make valid points. If you want to honour HR, please do so by making new threads. We promise we won't come into those threads and create hell. We're not like you. But when musical discussions are going on, don't sabotage those threads by posting absolute nonsense there.

Get it dear sis?
whats happening here?

Did Appa pass on some texas chilli over to you Abhi?LOL

Bullseye Abhi.

Shantibai LOL  Abhi doesn't eat chilli. He is a pure Bramhin from Karnataka.  He doesn't eat beef. LOL

Barnali IF-Rockerz
Barnali
Barnali

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged

We do not get "shrutis" from the harmonium. The aesthetics of music as per classical norms, which emphasise this are not the same now. We have got used to the harmonium and are losing the older values in music. There is a flow to music with the use of the sarangi. We are losing that flow in music.

The harmonium is preferred because it is a ready-to-use instrument. But the sarangi is the best accompanying instrument because it is most suitable for the human voice.

apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:05pm | IP Logged

Bullseye Abhi.

Shantibai   Abhi doesn't eat chilli. He is a pure Bramhin from Karnataka. He doesn't eat beef.

I know that
I was wondering if you mailed him jalapeno from your backyard Appa LOL

Abhi doesn't need Jalapeno from me.  He himself is a Habenaro pepper.LOL

Barnali IF-Rockerz
Barnali
Barnali

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:11pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by mohinis

S. priya, i gave the whole article which clearly says that "tere naam are raaga based", do u think that article is fake, if that article says its raga based , means it is, So if they people can;t understand atleast u should, because u are mod. I gave the full article that "tere naam " i raaga based, Ok, if any one has problem, read that article..

'Odhni od ke naachoon' from Tere Naam has the same tune as Pakistani singer Naseebo Lal's 'Isqhe da wal aagaya'.

Mishtimoni Groupbie
Mishtimoni
Mishtimoni

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:16pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Barnali

We do not get "shrutis" from the harmonium. The aesthetics of music as per classical norms, which emphasise this are not the same now. We have got used to the harmonium and are losing the older values in music. There is a flow to music with the use of the sarangi. We are losing that flow in music.

The harmonium is preferred because it is a ready-to-use instrument. But the sarangi is the best accompanying instrument because it is most suitable for the human voice.

My point exactly..its chromatic structure is not commensurate with Hindustani music..SarangiHeart..harmoniumAngry

Go to top