Evolution in Modern Indian Music - Page 2

Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by mohinis

Soulsoup, HR , the composer of the song , himself said that it is raaga based, if u think u have better knowledge than a composer , who gave so much to industury, then go and learn some music. If any reputed composer will lie in his interview that his songs are raga based or not, the whole media can point out. If u know nothing about that , don;t say about that. What u know about music, do u have more knowlege than composers who composed so many songs, the main point is that u don;t like the success of HR, And I alreday posted the article where it is very clearly said that " tere naam" is raga based. So pls. u people have nothing else to do, other han criticising HR.

Mohini, please do not make personal attacks on members.

If you think songs of HR are based on raagas, please oblige the members and post which raagas they are based on, so that once and for all the issue is settled.

Why question the musical knowledge of another member.  Show your knowledge.  Please post the raagas on which the songs of HR are based.  That would be a  constructive critisism.

Here it is a case of you saying HR songs is Raga based opposed to members calls that it is not raga based.

Its a positive assertion by you.  Please simply post the raagas here.

S.priya , when they make personal attacks by saying HR and A-d Are dumo, then why don;t u tell them to stop the personal attacks, or they have right to say reputed composer dumbos, they are making personal attacks first, so pls , teach them to stop makning personal attacks, then they will not get the reply like that.

When personal attacks (which are malicious in nature and not constructive critisism or a  joke) are made, members are warned.  I have no idea where you assume that such posts go un noticed.

Please get your facts right before you make allegations.

In any case, here is a simple case where you said songs of HR are raaga based.  Members have asked u for the raaga name.  All you have to do to silence them is put the name of the raaga on the forum.

Instead of a simple solution to a simple problem, why are you going on reiterating the same thing. 

I need ur answer priya, what type of rules that somepeople can say anything "dumbo " or anything, and when even we defend then u always said us no personal attacks, who has started first, pls answer my question..

Can we know what issue we are fighting here.

Is this one of those "I am being discriminated against" kinda post.  In that case, let us take it out of here and address those issues elsewhere.  This post is not meant for that and there is no reason to ruin a perfectly good post with un necessary quabbles.

Second, in this post, you had made a point of HR songs being raaga based.  I respect the fact that you are a great HR fan.  Many here are not, so be it.

When someone is questioning you on the contents of a post made by you, that too of your favoured music director, all you need to do to silence them is put the name of the raaga and the matter is resolved.

Instead of doing that, why pick on some other issue here and prolong a fight.  Lets take the fight out of the forum and keep this place for music.  After all music is intended to be soothing and calming.  Lets just calm down here.

S. priya, i gave the whole article which clearly says that "tere naam are raaga based", do u think that article is fake, if that article says its raga based , means it is, So if they people can;t understand atleast u should, because u are mod. I gave the full article that "tere naam " i raaga based, Ok, if any one has problem, read that article..

I appreciate it.  I have no problems with that either.  If it is raaga based, so be it.  Its great. 

My point here is if someone is questioning the contents of the post, if you know the answer, give them the answer.  If you dont, dont attack members for questioning you.  That is all.
Mohini ji,

Salil da ka likha hua amazing article ke thread mein aap apna bakwas bandh karengi please. I just don't give a damn about that copycat HR. Kisi ke saath music ke topic mein debate karne se pahele apna music knowledge thoda increase kijiye.

I have asked you several times that could you please name those ragas, but you never answered. You claim that the songs of Tere Naam are raga based. Of course they are. All the songs in our country are similar to one raga or the other. But that does not change the fact that HR is a Xerox machine.

Edited by apparaohoare - 18 years ago
Mohinis, alright, their music is raaga based. Now can we continue with the rest of the discussion.

Coming back to the point, the only issue I have with harmonium is that I hate its sound..and its chromatic structure..

But I agree with Salil Chowdhury in most part about evolution of culture.. sometimes when we talk about INDIAN CULTURE, we forget about the various streams from all over the world that have been integrated within the subcontinent's culture(it's second major religion came from outside its geographical boundary, so did the structure of Hindustani music) .. in that sense, no culture is 'pure', as long as it has come into contact with other cultures..

There will be things that we will adopt in the long run, things we will reject, and 500 years down the line people will take those adopted things as part of the 'Pure' Indian culture and will argue about some new set of 'foreign influences!!! 😉
Originally posted by Shantibai

in a nutshell (mmmmmmmmmsome nut some shell this one 😆)

longevity determines that particular culture

Yup!!
Originally posted by Shantibai

whats happening here?

Did Appa pass on some texas chilli over to you Abhi?😆

Bullseye Abhi.

Shantibai 😆  Abhi doesn't eat chilli. He is a pure Bramhin from Karnataka.  He doesn't eat beef. ðŸ˜†

Originally posted by Mishtimoni

Coming back to the point, the only issue I have with harmonium is that I hate its sound..and its chromatic structure..

But I agree with Salil Chowdhury in most part about evolution of culture.. sometimes when we talk about INDIAN CULTURE, we forget about the various streams from all over the world that have been integrated within the subcontinent's culture(it's second major religion came from outside its geographical boundary, so did the structure of Hindustani music) .. in that sense, no culture is 'pure', as long as it has come into contact with other cultures..

There will be things that we will adopt in the long run, things we will reject, and 500 years down the line people will take those adopted things as part of the 'Pure' Indian culture and will argue about some new set of 'foreign influences!!! 😉

We do not get "shrutis" from the harmonium. The aesthetics of music as per classical norms, which emphasise this are not the same now. We have got used to the harmonium and are losing the older values in music. There is a flow to music with the use of the sarangi. We are losing that flow in music.

The harmonium is preferred because it is a ready-to-use instrument. But the sarangi is the best accompanying instrument because it is most suitable for the human voice.