Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

the usual questions asked of Indians (Page 31)

simtara IF-Rockerz
simtara
simtara

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by simtara

Actually...I take offense to it when people brush me off as "not Asian."

Why the distinction. Is India not a part of the continent of Asia? Would we, therefore, not be categorized as Asians? When did "Asian" end up meaning Oriental???

I ask that seriously - it's something I've been trying to clear up for a long time.

Anybody want to take a stab at answering this...?

mudabid Goldie
mudabid
mudabid

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged

Why the distinction. Is India not a part of the continent of Asia? Would we, therefore, not be categorized as Asians? When did "Asian" end up meaning Oriental???

I ask that seriously - it's something I've been trying to clear up for a long time.

Simtara ji I have to go and eat but if you need any food for thought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian     Wink

respect123 Goldie
respect123
respect123

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by apparaohoare

Originally posted by amogh8188

This is going so crazy that now i m beginning to think that Americans have not advanced to the Information age.

Amogh ji, 

About 5 to 7% of the US population is extremely brilliant, and they are the people who runs the country and does all the research and development.  These people are just SUPER BRILLIANT in their respective fields.  There are another 20% population who do all the office work and are well educated and has some GK of the outer world other than USA.  But the remaining 75% are just ignorant, but they are good people.

This 75% of the populace that you speak of Appaji also share a remarkable trait. They divvy up the work and careers in such an orderly , almost worker bee like manner that it is colossally amazing!!

To illustrate - they don't flock towards being only Engineers, Lawyers or Doctors. They are so happy opening a tattoo parlor or being a plumber (in a manner of speaking) that there is never a dearth of careers and people , mostly, take pride in whatever it is they do and do it so very conscientiously that I regret greatly that we do not have that in India.

...that one outstanding trait ...

and I bow to that Clap

Edited by respect123 - 23 March 2006 at 8:24pm
respect123 Goldie
respect123
respect123

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mudabid

Simtara ji I have to go and eat but if you need any food for thought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian     Wink

Very apt article mudabidji but as I stated in my earlier post ... even though technically "Asian" should mean everything that is indigenous to the continent Asia in common American usage parlance it has been accepted to mean narrowly East and SouthEast Asia or even narrowly - oriental.

It is a moot point after this. We need to just accept this and go with the flow. There are numerous such instances , I am sure, in Indian english too ... where the original meaning has either given way or narrowed down in meaning depending on popular usage..... I cannot immediately think of such examples but maybe someone here can come up with one????

Anyhoo...

All in a day's work ... no sweat Tongue

simtara IF-Rockerz
simtara
simtara

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
Thanks mudabidji!
mudabid Goldie
mudabid
mudabid

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by respect123

This is going so crazy that now i m beginning to think that Americans have not advanced to the Information age.

Amogh ji, 

About 5 to 7% of the US population is extremely brilliant, and they are the people who runs the country and does all the research and development.  These people are just SUPER BRILLIANT in their respective fields.  There are another 20% population who do all the office work and are well educated and has some GK of the outer world other than USA.  But the remaining 75% are just ignorant, but they are good people.

This 75% of the populace that you speak of Appaji also share a remarkable trait. They divvy up the work and careers in such an orderly , almost worker bee like manner that it is colossally amazing!!

To illustrate - they don't flock towards being only Engineers, Lawyers or Doctors. They are so happy opening a tattoo parlor or being a plumber (in a manner of speaking) that there is never a dearth of careers and people , mostly, take pride in whatever it is they do and do it so very conscientiously that I regret greatly that we do not have that in India.

and I bow to that Clap

You have raised a great point Respectji. That is something I have observed too. People here are not ashamed of whatever career they are in. So many students here work in restaurents as waiters, as cleaners and take pride in that. Others too treat them with respect. How many of us would give the same respect to waiters in India or for that matter in Asia.

respect123 Goldie
respect123
respect123

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:58pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by serialbuff

Ye aadmi kab sudharengey! Ek woh Michael Jackson - roams about in an abaya ( the black robe that most Arab women wear) with his face covered and his shoes peeping from under the abaya! Can you believe it, he was seen in the Ladies' Room at one of the most popular malls here in Dubai??? Wacko

Sorry Dolly! This is deviating, so another classic!

American - Are you Hindi?
Me - You mean Hindu? No, I am not!
American - Then you must be erdoo!
Me - Confused Wacko (Wish they had a sar peetney wala smiley)

Lol although it was darn hilarious - the MJ incident -but please - give him his props LOL

Probably the Dubai restrooms were written in ...err...Urdu ?(here I am exhibiting my ignorance but hey LOL) and since he couldn't understand that he apparently tried to look at the pictures on the doors... Imagine trying to make out a guy pic from a girl pic when both are wearing long flowing robes and the head-dress with a veil LOL

Very easy to get confused LOL

Ok...ok...before anyone starts bashing me ... I have been to Dubai and I was pleasantly surprised at their infrastructure... I was just being facetious

Tongue

indianpa Groupbie
indianpa
indianpa

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mudabid

Originally posted by respect123

Amogh ji, 

and I bow to that Clap

You have raised a great point Respectji. That is something I have observed too. People here are not ashamed of whatever career they are in. So many students here work in restaurents as waiters, as cleaners and take pride in that. Others too treat them with respect. How many of us would give the same respect to waiters in India or for that matter in Asia.

There is a huge difference when US people take pride in what we call "lowly jobs" in India. The work conditions are different here. Also, the payment that a person gets working as a waiter is enough to give him/her a very respectable living in US. That is they can pay rent and live on that income fairly well. That is not the same in India.

For the same type of job in India, you cannot rent an entire apartment, buy and maintain a second hand car and pay for all utilities etc. In US it is possible and that is where the respect/pride comes from; total independence. No dependence on anybody.

I do agree however, that people are ready to do any job to put themselves through college. I do admire that.

Go to top