Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

the usual questions asked of Indians (Page 30)

respect123 Goldie
respect123
respect123

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by amogh8188

Jeez i did not know that those people who pride on being developed are so ignorant about the rest of the world.

These really, truly are two different things - being a "developed" country and having - as its people who are aware of other countries cultures and about the people, lifestyles etc. of other countries.

In a way I can easily empathize with my "American" counterparts - if  you can - try and imagine and understand that so many immigrants come here - from every country possible in this world - that it really turns into a Herculean task - keeping up with the knowledge of all these countries especially when they have no educating resources at their disposal. It is not like they have TV programs that educate them about Indians , or reading material/books or it isn't like Indians abound here who keep calling Americans to dinner (not a lot atleast) - so it is very easy for them to either be in the dark or have misconceptions based on sparse movies like Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones "Temple of Doom" , James Bond "Octopussy" and the like.

We as Indians educate ourselves about American culture and some European cultures because we have TV channels and movies at our disposal which lay these bare and our books to a large extent try and educate us.

So to a large extent - the general American hoi polloi cannot be blamed for not being able to keep up with the general knowledge of 192 different countries...

Although I do completely agree that some of their questions veer sharply towards borderline insanity Wink

... and I am being polite when I state it like that...

My two cents Tongue

simtara IF-Rockerz
simtara
simtara

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged
Your two cents were worth more than that Respectji. Smile

Well said...I guess it's something most of us don't consider - human that we are...we are also ethno-centric in that respect. But seriously...somethings are just...have you ever been to school!!?? type of questions.

btw...I LOVE your AV! Smile
simtara IF-Rockerz
simtara
simtara

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged
Mudabidji..not at all. I understand. There are forms that will go into all sorts of subdivisions, and there one "Asian" ... the largest continent is lumped together, but the same country is divided into North American and Native American???
mudabid Goldie
mudabid
mudabid

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:38pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by simtara

Well said...I guess it's something most of us don't consider - human that we are...we are also ethno-centric in that respect. But seriously...somethings are just...have you ever been to school!!?? type of questions.

You are right Simtara ji. I frequently get comments like, "you are from India. Your English is very good and you speak well." That is such a backhanded compliment. Now India is not a third world country where we live in a tribe and go on food gathering missions. We are taught English since kindergarden, for heaven's sake.

Edited by mudabid - 23 March 2006 at 7:39pm
respect123 Goldie
respect123
respect123

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mudabid

This is kind of off-topic but when I first came to the US and used to fill out all the legal forms, I used to tick myself as native Indian LOL

Bhai ab India mein born hue hain tho wahan ke native hue na.  Wink

Lol ...another thing on such forms is that the choices for Indians are either "Asian" (which is actually incorrect even though we are technically Asian, mind you , because Asian doesn't denote - people from the continent Asia ...but denotes Oriental people - which we are not) , and the other choice left to us is "Prefer not to answer".

I think - no Indians would like to answer and answer proudly but there isn't an option left for them LOL

respect123 Goldie
respect123
respect123

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:41pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by simtara

Thank you Simtara. Somehow your comments mean a lot to me. I expected mostly brickbats from this post of mine

Tongue

simtara IF-Rockerz
simtara
simtara

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:42pm | IP Logged
Actually...I take offense to it when people brush me off as "not Asian."

Why the distinction. Is India not a part of the continent of Asia? Would we, therefore, not be categorized as Asians? When did "Asian" end up meaning Oriental???

I ask that seriously - it's something I've been trying to clear up for a long time.
simtara IF-Rockerz
simtara
simtara

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:43pm | IP Logged
Oh no thanks necessary Respectji - I too believe in respect. You will find me to be one the "objective" voices of this forum. I always make an effort to see both sides. And if I don't...I push my side very politely. Wink

Go to top