Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

the usual questions asked of Indians (Page 21)

SholaJoBhadkey IF-Dazzler
SholaJoBhadkey
SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged
Actually what the Americans ask me when I tell them that I live in the UAE is even funnier!

American - Where is the UAE?
Me - It's in the Middle East.
American - ????
Me - You know Saudi Arabia?
American - Nods (The light of enlightenment dawns!!!) You live in Saudi Arabia?
Me - No, the UAE is a small country near Saudi.
American - Are you allowed to drive?
Me - Yes, and work! (Anticipation through experience)
American - Wow! Neat! And how do you dress?
Me - (Dying to say - myself, with my own hands) The way I am dressed now!
American - Cool man! (when he/she actually means yeah right! I know what's it like in the Middle East)

My students - Miss, do you know Sharukh Khan?
Me - Yes, I do. He used to be my neighbour. We used to play together. (for everyone reading this post - I swear that's true!)
My students (screaming hysterically) - Miss can you give us his phone number? I want to marry him!!!

At this point, I smile enigmatically and go back to teaching TOEFL skills!

(Don't tell my Director why I top the students' evaluations Wink )

*dolly* IF-Sizzlerz
*dolly*
*dolly*

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Gumshuda

The best part is when they mispronounce your name and even u correcting them, insists on using the wrong pronounciation...I always return the favor by mispronouncing their and they always come in line in no time. LOL

yup thats the way to do itLOL

TaureanT Groupbie
TaureanT
TaureanT

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by serialbuff

Originally posted by TaureanT

Originally posted by TaureanT

This one happened with me:
I have always had short hairs..and I wanted to get it trimmed, my hair stylist asked me "Are you Indian?" when I said yes she said..ohh how come your hairs are not smelling of coconut oil?
I laughed that day..like anything. She also asked me..
"why do you have short hairs as I have seen most of the Indian girls have looooooooooooong hairs with no hairstyle?"
When I stood up and she observed my height ( which is 5'9") she said I cannot be an Indian as Indians are very short and fat.
Another one happened in my office when I was chatting with my collegue. We ended up talking about yoga, and she asked me how do I know so much about yoga because she thought yoga is a chinese thing and chinese yogis and slim girls practice yoga. My God that day was a hillarious day.
I have some more of those incidents..which I will post later.

When I showed my marriage DVD to one of my office friend and he saw me crying he spread this news the next day in the whole office that I was forced to marry as I was crying in the end. Everybody was coming to my desk and asking me why Indian wedding is not a happy occassion as their's and why girl's cry after getting married.

Well it was difficult for me to make them understand how much attached we are from our family ..not like them..who treat their parents as money provider that's all.

I was teaching part-time at a school where my mum was a teacher too. At a party in our house, one of the gora teachers asked my mum how much I was paying to live with my parents! You should have seen my mother's face LOL and then the gora's face when my mum told him that I wasn't paying anything! At the same party, this Canadian lady appeared wearing just the kameez, and then to our amusement told everyone that she had bought the complete set, but couldn't find the "paints"(sic) so she came in just the top!!! Shocked I have worked for seven years with this American lady and she still calls me "shabnan" as in khaney wali naan!

I find the British much more aware, and acquainted with the modern face of India. My British colleagues have always marvelled at the fact that most Indians speak at least two languages fluently, are very hardworking and family-oriented, and respect their elders. 

You know what Serialbuff?

It is so unfortunate here that kids have no respect for their parents. They are taught in school to call 911 even for a mild disciplinary action against them. I am proud to be a daughter of a disciplinarian..and I understand the meaning of it very well.

In tha last apartment where we were staying, I saw this very old lady who had wrinkled body and a very fragile body and used to walk with the help of clutches and walker and what not. I befriended her and got to know that she hasdsome 3-4 grown up boys one of whome stays in a house very close to the apartment. Forget about allowing her to stay with him I never saw him with her taking care of her or bringing grocceries or even medicines. I used to be so worried for her if I wouldn't see her for 3-4 consecutive days outside her apt. 

I know such cases are also increasing in India but we still have some social obligation"log kya kahenge..budhe ma baap ko dekhne bhi nahi aate ".

Swar_Raj IF-Dazzler
Swar_Raj
Swar_Raj

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by srianne

Great post, Dolly. LOL

My experience was better compared to others here. It was a Lakshmi puja day and I had gone to the office with sindoor in my maang. My co-worker got stunned and screamed "You're bleeding in your head". I had to explain him for 15 minutes what it was and finally he was relieved and said "So, you're not dying after all". I was like... Confused LOL
Other than that, people always were nice whenever I wore sarees to formal parties... although little curious Embarrassed . I already have quite a few neighbours and other American friends waiting for my India trip to get then Sarees. Smile

This reminds me of some Indians  that I worked couple of years ago..they used to get gifts for Ceo/cfo or their manger...stupid things that u can find  in a sunday market or on street sellers...I remenber one CEO showed me a  black color doll and asking me what we do with those and i felt like throwin it on the Murthi's head (Murthi..the guy who got it)

We also do stupid things too... So on my visit I had to bring something better and got the kashmeiri Shawls and some rajashtani cushion covers (Very pretty) and some black metal show pieces..... They were so delighted...i donot work there any more but some time back was invited for a co-owrkers [party) He had cushion covers on the wall and his wife cannot stop giving me thanks for shawl..and how she wore it to chritmas party and all...All my neightbours alos loved shawls  too and are waiting my next trip to India now. My daughter got Tajmahal lamps and were already in pieces when we reached here..so was pissed off.

But not all Indians care what people believe about India. They just  go yes yes and yesAngry

*dolly* IF-Sizzlerz
*dolly*
*dolly*

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Gumshuda

Once somebody had a problem in pronouncing my name and she said "Should i call u x or y or xyz...
I replied U can call a rose by any name Mrs. Jones but I will always call u Mrs. Jones...
she got the msg LOL

LOLLOLLOL

you made my day bhaiya

TaureanT Groupbie
TaureanT
TaureanT

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged
Another incident happened few weeks ago. My husband's office freind threw a party for her daughter's "annaprashan". One chinese guy asked my husband that are you guys going to do "balle balle" dance there..coz my wife saw "Bride and Prejudice" and "The Guru"..and she told me that you Indians always gather in a party and dance bollywood style. LOL
simtara IF-Rockerz
simtara
simtara

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:29pm | IP Logged
LOL Balle balle indeed! *shakes head while laughing*
SmarterDesiKid IF-Sizzlerz
SmarterDesiKid
SmarterDesiKid

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged
ooooo oooo oooo, I got one

"Please bhai sab, price ko AUR kum karona"

(took me 5 minutes to write it...trying to translate for Gujurati - hindi Wink )

Go to top