Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

   
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Memory lane of R.D. Burman (Page 4)

Qwest IF-Rockerz
Qwest
Qwest

Banned for Advertising
Joined: 24 February 2006
Posts: 6734

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 12:38am | IP Logged



Asha reveals 'real' Pancham in latest album


New Delhi: Versatile singer Asha Bhosle pays homage to her late husband and music composer R.D. Burman with a medley of his lesser-known numbers in a brand new album "Asha Reveals The Real RD".

An album featuring 22 personal favourites of Pancham - as Rahul Dev Burman was popularly known - has been recreated under the supervision of the singer herself.

Recalls Asha: "I feel I know what Pancham liked best. He preferred rhythmic songs. But he wasn't allowed to do enough of it. He used to be hugely restricted by what the producers wanted. In this new album I have included one of my cabaret songs 'Karle pyar karle', which was credited to S.D. Burman but was actually composed by his son (Pancham)."

Asha says: "It was something that my son Anand and I thought about. There are so many good compositions of Pancham that went unnoticed. It could be, because the songs were filmed on second leads or vamps. In those days people used to listen to the songs picturised on main leads only. Now, of course, times have changed... 'Do labzon ki hai dil ki kahani' in 'The Great Gambler' is still popular. But I prefer 'O diwanon dil sambhalo' from the same film.

"My son and I decided we must include those songs in this new homage to Pancham. It has 'Aaj ki raat koi aane ko hai' from 'Anamika'. I heard it when Kronos Quartet played it in their album with me. That's when I decided to include it in this album."

Her selections of song are entertaining. If she has chosen one of her lesser-known cabaret numbers 'Aaj ji raat koi aane ko hai' picturised on Helen in 'Anamika', she has also chosen Kishore Kumar's 'Pyar diwana hota hai' which R.D. had lovingly composed for 'Kati Patang'.

Asha is exultant about her eclectic excursion into the art and heart of her husband.

"I've selected songs that I hadn't sung originally, like Kishore Kumar's 'Hum bewafa' ('Shalimar'), Usha Uthup's 'One, two cha cha cha' ('Shalimar') and my sister's (Lata Mangeshkar) 'Jaane kya baat hai' ('Sunny'). I can't sing it as well as Didi. But I hope listeners like it."

For the evergreen singer no song is big or small. It's the way that you occupy that space given within the parameters of a tune that makes it special.

"If I get just one song in one soundtrack I don't look at it as a chance to prove how well I can sing. I just do my best for the composition. I treat every song like a first sing. I've never treated any song casually," she says.

For the first time extensive bass, strings, chorus sections and live rhythm and percussions have been used in this album. The songs have been re-arranged by Nitin Shankar. The album was released in the capital Friday.

Posted on 13 Mar 2006 # IANS



Edited by Qwest - 24 March 2006 at 12:39am

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Joined: 20 September 2004
Posts: 12566

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 12:46am | IP Logged
Made a sticky for a couple of days, so that all members are able to read the wealth of information contained in the post.
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Joined: 12 January 2006
Posts: 7199

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 1:05am | IP Logged

Originally posted by s.priya

Made a sticky for a couple of days, so that all members are able to read the wealth of information contained in the post.

 

Thanks a lot Priya.

 

soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Joined: 20 January 2006
Posts: 3489

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 6:41am | IP Logged
Qwest ji Clap

Finally I managed to read almost all posts

By the way got this CD last week, listening now

You've Stolen My Heart: Songs from R.D. Burman's Bollywood



Here are some more info the album (2 bengali songs too!)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4946448

Kronos Quartet's 'Stolen Heart' with Asha Bhosle

by David Dye 

 
Asha Bhosle

Since beginning her career in 1948, when she was 14, Asha Bhosle has recorded more than 12,000 songs. Gautam Rajadhyaksha

 
 
 
The Kronos Quartet

The Kronos Quartet, from left: David Harrington, violin; Hank Dutt, viola; Jeffrey Zeigler, cello; and John Sherba, violin. Jay Blakesburg

 
 

World Cafe, October 5, 2005 The Kronos Quartet has just completed an album of Bollywood film music, You've Stolen My Heart, featuring the vocals of Asha Bhosle. A superstar of Indian film, Bhosle is among the biggest-selling recording artists of all time.

The release channels the music of R.D. Burman, the late composer who was also Bhosle's husband. Burman, a prolific and popular figure in India and around the world, created music for some 300 films.

While You've Stolen My Heart features a range of Burman's writing -- including the unique Dum Maro Dum (Take Another Toke) " -- it revolves around romantic love songs, such as "Mehbooba Mehbooba (Beloved, O Beloved)" and the title song, "Chura Liya Hai Tum Ne (You've Stolen My Heart)."

Listen to the songs here : http://www.tunetribe.com/Album?album_id=164773


Swar_Raj IF-Dazzler
Swar_Raj
Swar_Raj

Joined: 18 February 2006
Posts: 2628

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 7:47am | IP Logged

There is a upcoming show in boston
http://www.WorldMusic.org
If any one around want to see Asha ji live


KRONOS QUARTET & ASHA BHOSLE
India Calling: Songs from R. D. Burman's Bollywood
featuring special guests Wu Man and Zakir Hussain
Sunday, April 9, 7:30pm
$75 (golden circle), $50, $40, $30 (includes Berklee $.50 restoration fee)




Berklee Performance Center
136 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston
Reserved seating

From the fantastical land of India's Bollywood, comes this vibrant homage to the preeminent Indian movie composer, the late R. D. Burman. In more than 300 film scores, Burman entranced audiences with ever-surprising combinations of Indian classical and folk music, swing, jazz, psychedelic rock, circus music and more. This remarkable concert features the Grammy Award-winning Kronos Quartet performing with the legendary Queen of Bollywood singer Asha Bhosle. Kronos is also joined by longtime collaborators Wu Man (Chinese pipa) and Zakir Hussain (tabla), completing this musical masala of eras and cultures.




Kronos Quartet web site

Listen & Buy Music Now
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Joined: 12 January 2006
Posts: 7199

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by soulsoup

Qwest ji Clap

Finally I managed to read almost all posts

By the way got this CD last week, listening now

You've Stolen My Heart: Songs from R.D. Burman's Bollywood



Here are some more info the album (2 bengali songs too!)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4946448

Kronos Quartet's 'Stolen Heart' with Asha Bhosle

by David Dye 

 
Asha Bhosle

Since beginning her career in 1948, when she was 14, Asha Bhosle has recorded more than 12,000 songs. Gautam Rajadhyaksha

 
 
 
The Kronos Quartet

The Kronos Quartet, from left: David Harrington, violin; Hank Dutt, viola; Jeffrey Zeigler, cello; and John Sherba, violin. Jay Blakesburg

 
 

World Cafe, October 5, 2005 The Kronos Quartet has just completed an album of Bollywood film music, You've Stolen My Heart, featuring the vocals of Asha Bhosle. A superstar of Indian film, Bhosle is among the biggest-selling recording artists of all time.

The release channels the music of R.D. Burman, the late composer who was also Bhosle's husband. Burman, a prolific and popular figure in India and around the world, created music for some 300 films.

While You've Stolen My Heart features a range of Burman's writing -- including the unique Dum Maro Dum (Take Another Toke) " -- it revolves around romantic love songs, such as "Mehbooba Mehbooba (Beloved, O Beloved)" and the title song, "Chura Liya Hai Tum Ne (You've Stolen My Heart)."

Listen to the songs here : http://www.tunetribe.com/Album?album_id=164773


 

Anol da,

You have to agree that "Ekta deshlai kathi jalao" is not the best selection of RD's bengali songs.  Chokhe naam e bristi (Jaane kya baat hai) or "Jete dao amai deko na" would have been a much better choice.

 

 

Qwest IF-Rockerz
Qwest
Qwest

Banned for Advertising
Joined: 24 February 2006
Posts: 6734

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:18am | IP Logged

Panchambeats

Panchabeats is OUT and AVAILABLE.... Panchambeats features Gulzar's tribute to Panchamda on his tenth death anniversary. A double cassette/CD pack release by saregama HMV presents 20 of the finest creations of Pancham-Gulzar together.

The songlist might not attract hardcore fans as the songs included are all popular ones, but for any Gulzar/Pancham fan, Panchambeats is a worth buy for its content in the form of Pancham, Asha and Gulzar conversation from Meri Sangeet Yatra (a fifteen episode radio program on 80s) before the songs (have checked just a couple of initial songs, might have some other recordings too)... HMV and Gulzar has given All Pancham fans a fantastic gift in the form of Excerpts of Meri Sangeet Yatra...

 

Gulzar kahte hain

Pancham tumhare ek dil ki dhadkan band huee, aur tum laakho dilo me dhadkane lage
bahut achha lagta hai jab log tumhare marfat mujhe yaad karte hain
aur main tumhari marfat unse baat karta hoon
wo mujhe tumhara saga dost samajhte hain, kyonki mera dil ab bhi tumhari taal pe dhadakta hai



Edited by Qwest - 24 March 2006 at 8:18am
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Joined: 12 January 2006
Posts: 7199

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Swar_Raj


There is a upcoming show in boston
http://www.WorldMusic.org
If any one around want to see Asha ji live

Why only Boston. Angry  Asha ji ko live dekhne ka kismat shayyed mera nehi hai.  Unhappy

Unhappy

 

 

 

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
Lill Champs (Burman Se Bhi Achha Gaya) - 11 Sep 09

Author: promoking   Replies: 7   Views: 1389

promoking 7 1389 12 September 2009 at 3:12am by jettythegod
Mohd. Rafi speaks on SD Burman

Author: jettythegod   Replies: 7   Views: 1609

jettythegod 7 1609 10 August 2009 at 12:16pm by Dabulls23
Those Magical RD Burman Piano keys

2

Author: jettythegod   Replies: 10   Views: 1706

jettythegod 10 1706 30 June 2009 at 1:14pm by jettythegod
RD Burman on mohammed rafi:

2 3

Author: mr.ass   Replies: 19   Views: 6313

mr.ass 19 6313 04 January 2009 at 10:36pm by mr.ass
gems of SD burman da

Author: mr.ass   Replies: 2   Views: 584

mr.ass 2 584 24 November 2008 at 9:24am by Summer3

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar Topic Index

  • Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index