India-Forums

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Memory lane of R.D. Burman

apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 12:51am | IP Logged

For Bengalis who grew up with his music, RD's passing away marks the end of youth
by Abhijit Dasgupta

A good thing about India is that it lives in it's music. And perhaps the best thing about us is that most if us die with our music too. A part of us died at 3.30 am on January 4; the music that we had lived for all these years passed into eternity at precisely that hour, with the death of Rahul Dev Burman.

We grew up with four persons: Sunil Gavaskar, Amitabh Bachchan, Kishore Kumar and Rahul Dev Burman. The decade aws the seventies. Innocence had still not taken a back seat: playing truant in schools was still great fun, queuing up outside Loretto was the highest form of pleasure and tuning into the radio early in the morning to hear Gavaskar walk off in a huff at Melbourne was still the source of final excitement. And, of course, waiting for Amitabh Bachchan. And Kishore Kumar. And Rahul Dev Burman. We simply did not have any time for Indira Gandhi.

For quite a few of us, Rahul or RD was the last word. And when he teamed up with Kishore, our joy knew no bounds. For my friends, Bachchan and Gavaskar were the leaders: the sneers were preserved for those who were still clutching on to the coat-tails of a former phenomenon called Rajesh Khanna. We waited patiently for the Pujas: not because of the gifts but for RD's special numbers with Kishore and Asha Bhonsle. Later, when all these songs found their way into hindi films, we used to compare notes. With rare exceptions, the concensus was that the puja numbers were vastly superior: the ever-present Bengali tradition of parochialism was mannest even at that early stage of youth.

Earlier, much earlier, there was the Lata number sung in Bengali to RD's music: Amar madhabilata. It was the mid-sixties and one of the first Bengali hits of the nightingale. Latabai may have sung countless Bengali hits after that: most of them under Salil Choudhury's baton, but for me, that remains her best Bengali song yet. Incidentally, perhaps because it still remains one of my most-loved RD favourites; the composer did not allow Bollywood to borrow it.

The other day, while listening to the Jaipur se delhi chale number from Gurudev, one of RD's last films. I was struck by the way he had incorporated srains of a famous Bengali Asha number of yesteryears: Mohuaye jomeche Not that the man had burnt out with nothing to offer. Both the Gurudev songs (the other one being: Aana re aana re) had climbed up the charts in Superhit Muqabla: obviously the man knew exactly what to take from where. Never being a Bappi Lahiri or Annu Malik on the way. The only song worth comparing would be Salil Choudhury's Madhumati number by Mukesh, Dil tadap tadap ke where one instrumental interlude is a deft lift from one of the composer's own Bengali numbers.

One reason RD never lived up to his promise(which, is a superficial perception )was because he gave great music to films which were doomed from the muharat. Has anyone heard the music of Trimurti, a Sanjay Khan starrer of the early seventies? Or perhaps Deven Verma's Bada Kabutar? Both the films sank without a trace: some of RD's best numbers went with them.

Typical of the man and unlike his contemporaries Laxmikant and Pyarelal (LP), RD gave his best for every film. But by then LP-his only rival, talentwise-had forged ahead, picking and choosing on the way.

An editor in Delhi had once grandly announced that LP was the best simply because they had been at the top for so long. And a lot of us had kept quiet then waiting for the Gurudev to happen.

Freud said that a man becomes an adult when his father dies. When Gavaskar took his last guard, when Kishore died, when Bachchan announced his retirement, the younger generation of Indians slowly lost it's youth. With RD's death, we have suddenly come of age.

Edited by apparaohoare - 23 March 2006 at 5:39pm

madhavi_r108 Goldie
madhavi_r108
madhavi_r108

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:06am | IP Logged
Clap Clap Very well written article..

loved the last line... my dad tells me that often !
*Jaya* IF-Sizzlerz
*Jaya*
*Jaya*

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 1:35am | IP Logged
When RD expired, I guess an entire generation felt totally lost.. We all knew that music was never going to be the same again... Cry Cry
makaveli313 Goldie
makaveli313
makaveli313

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 2:09am | IP Logged
Thx Boss...!! Clap
coolsaints11 Senior Member
coolsaints11
coolsaints11

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 2:22am | IP Logged
Dum maro dum
chura liya hai tum ne jo dil ko are two of my RD's favorites

RD was different than his contemporaries...and great at that.. Big smile
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 6:05am | IP Logged
Thanks Appa Clap Clap
You amde me nostalic too. Cry

Anyone got the MP3 of "mone pode rubu roy" ?
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged
Thanks for reading ths article. All the thanks goes to Qwest ji for providing me with this wonderful article.

apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 5:32pm | IP Logged
Bump

Go to top