•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago

Khan Kamal ki

Posted online: Friday, March 17, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

An actor and an anchor, she loves doing both. In acting she lives a character and as host she is her lively best. Quite choosy about the kind of work she does, Rakshanda Khan is currently seen on Star Plus as host of Jodee Kamaal Ki in which she delves into the lives of celebrity couples to find out what makes their relationship tick...

What do you like more, acting or anchoring?
No particular preference for either. I like both and the fact that I have access to both makes life better. In anchoring there's more of Rakshanda and it's more real because I get to project myself. In acting I project and live someone. The feelings, emotions, gestures, manners are that of the character

And which one do you prefer to project more?
Both. Acting and anchoring are different experiences and both are interesting and delightful in their own way. If I choose to do just one then I would be missing the other.

Any particular reason for choosing to anchor Jodee Kamaal Ki?
When you are sitting at home and a million dollars come your way how can you say no to the offer?

Great, so it's a million dollar offer?

Great, so it's a million dollar offer?
(Laughs) First and foremost, it's an honour to anchor a show that replaced KBC simply because Mr. Bachchan is irreplaceable. Second when Star people explained the format, I felt excited because it's original and completely a home grown concept. Third, I love interacting with people. Since the show is about couples I felt it would help me in knowing and understanding how relationships are nurtured because I am not married yet. The show is not just about married couples but will also include other relationships. Jodee Kamaal Ki could mean anything from husband-wife, brother-sister, and mother-daughter to best friends...

What is Rakshanda going to learn about relationships that she doesn't know yet?
There's lot to learn. I can say that I know my mother very well. But after shooting nine episodes in the first schedule of the show I wonder whether I know my mother all that well. Relationship is all about opening up, caring, sharing, talking and nurturing. But often though we live together we tend to take the other person for granted. In a relationship lot of little and small things that we often tend to ignore matter a lot.

Do you think people will come up with honest responses without revealing the cracks in their relationship?
Well, well we have a back-up research team to help us do an honest job. Questions we ask are based on research our team has done on their life. We have a writing board team to help us elicit honest answers. There is no scope for cheating or to hide things. You can't hide things on camera. How they coordinate with each other and help one another will reveal the quality and depth of their relationship. If they are hiding something it will be easily seen.

General perception about celebrity couples is that their relationships are fraught with differences, conflicts and lack of time for each other...
It's a wrong perception, a complete myth. There isn't much pressure in a celebrity relationship or there is as much pressure as in any normal, general or non-celebrity relationship. The only pressure they experience is that their relationships are constantly under a magnifying glass and under media glare. Differences in non-celebrity relationship don't come out of four walls but in the case of celebrity couples the entire nation knows because of the media. In one of our episodes we have ex-finance minister Mr. Yashwant Sinha and his wife participating as celebrity couple. We put a question to both: Is Mr. Sinha a better husband or father? Generally once you have kids, husbands tend to be good fathers. Their answer was better husband. In these days of high divorce rate it was heartwarming to know that such great relationships still exist.

As anchor of the show what has been your experience so far?
As host and onlooker it's been a growing and learning experience for me. I have tried to understand how relationships work, what it takes to make a relationship warm and successful. The incidents and little sweet stories from their lives are very touching.

You play a sweet and loving wife in Kyonki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi whereas in Jassi...you played the scheming woman. Which role is your favourite?
Both. I enjoyed doing Jassi... and I love playing a good and loving wife in Kyonki.. I am glad that viewers have appreciated my work in both dailies.

You are also anchoring Indian Idol Takatak. Wouldn't you like to anchor the real show on the main channels instead of its behind-the-scene version on Sony's sister channel?
Indian Idol Takatak is great fun. Yes, it's a behind-the-scene version but it's real great experience as I get to be a part of the contestants' dreams, happiness, sorrows, highs and lows. Of course I would like to host Indian Idol but then it's the channel's privilege to decide on who should anchor the show.

Do you regret that you are no more doing Jassi...? Did your role end

I played Mallika in Jassi... for two-and-a-half years. Isn't that long enough? And isn't it good that my role came to a logical end. Life has to go on and one should learn to grow instead of looking behind at things which you are no more a part of. I am glad that now I am busy with Jodee...

Is it a conscious decision to do limited work?

Yes. I like to do limited and quality work. God has been very kind to me and hope things will continue the same way.

You are not too keen on working in films...
I like watching films. If everyone starts working in films then who will watch movies? (Laughs) Films are out of my area of interest because I lack the desire to work in films.

But you have the desire to act?

Yes and television takes care of that desire.

More than an actor you are better known as a socialite...
Is it?

Well, I have few friends and attend very few parties that are thrown by my friends.

Lastly, your idea of an ideal man with whom you will make a kamaal ki jodee?
My ideal man will be one with whom I can relate and talk to as well be quiet and share silent moments, someone I can go out with and stay back home with. Someone with whom I will enjoy company and miss him when he is not with me.

Posted: 18 years ago
hey thx for the article 😃