dolly1000 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

The challenges for Kareena Kapoor
21st Mar 2006  09.10 IST
By ApunKaChoice Bureau  

Kareena Kapoor has two challenges coming up in her career.

First in Kareena's own words is the item number in Don , which stars Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra in the lead roles.

Kareena told an entertainment portal, "The item number is a challenge. This is the first time I will be performing an item number. The entire choreography is special and different. I am focusing on the costume, the look, the works while others are stressing on the props, the sets, the totality of the production design.

"
Farah Khan may put in some special computer effects in the number. We will get a better picture only after the shooting is complete. I am doing the dance number Helen -ji performed in the original Don (1978) . I cannot even imagine trying to compete with Helen-ji, she is incomparable. But it is a challenge, nevertheless and I am trying to meet it the best way I can," said Kareena.

Her role of Desdemona in the film version of the Shakespearean tragedy, Othello directed by Vishal Bharadwaj is more fascinating. Kareena feels that no one can guarantee the audience response to a Shakespearean classic.

"But the role is a challenge. The attraction in Othello is the chance to act with
Ajay Devgan and Naseeruddin Shah . If the screenplay can keep the audience captive for two hours, then the story, the backdrop, the classical element do not matter."

Kareena plucks for the Indian look over the Western look. This is a misnomer because from the beginning, Kareena represents the hep, upwardly mobile, westernized young girl who is not afraid of shaking a leg or sizing up probable boyfriends in films like
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham .

"That is what the female characters in mainstream Hindi films are made of. They represent the urban Indian girl who has studied in high profile, English medium schools and I think directors feel I fit the bill. Who says it is an un-Indian image? I am yet to play a total Bharatiya Naari (Indian woman) role. Even
Chameli was different though I always wore a sari in the film."

So get ready to see how Kareena thrives in these challenges.

Edited by dolly1000 - 18 years ago