•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago
Sushmita may play emperor Ashoka's wife
By IANS
Mar 21, 2006, 08:27

By Subhash K. Jha, Mumbai: Sushmita Sen is touted to play the fifth wife of Mauryan emperor Ashoka in a historical being made by "Pinjar" director Chandraprakash Dwivedi.

The talented actress, who has repeatedly confessed that she would love to be part of a historical project, has shown keen interest in the project.

"I have met Sushmita for 'Ashoka' and not for 'Jhansi Ki Rani', as reported in a section of the press. And she's shown a keen interest. It's a role only she can play. And she's extremely excited about it," Dwivedi, working round-the-clock on the project, told us.

Five years ago Sushmita had been offered an item song in Santosh Sivan's "Asoka". She had said no. "If I do a historical I'd want to be more integral to it," she had argued.

Now is her chance. So what's the truth about "Jhansi Ki Rani"?

Apparently Sushmita is sold on the idea of playing "Jhansi Ki Rani". She has been researching the part and grabbing every book available on it.

However, Dwivedi said: "But I haven't offered to make 'Jhansi Ki Rani' with Sushmita or with anyone else. As far as I know Ketan Mehta is making 'Jhansi Ki Rani' with Aishwarya Rai. This is nothing but an attempt to play up the two actresses.

"Let me state once and for all... I have no plans of making 'Jhansi Ki Rani'. I'm working on 'Prithviraj-Sanjukta', which will have Sunny Deol, and 'Ashoka' which may star a major Hollywood actor."

Dwivedi admits Sushmita has spoken to him about 'Jhansi Ki Rani'.

"She's keenly interested in the character and seemed very impressed by my historical research. She asked me numerous questions about it. She may ask me to write the film for her which I'd have no problems agreeing to do."