Miilee
Miilee

Ajay Gehi

Mishubaa IF-Rockerz
Mishubaa
Mishubaa

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 11:25pm | IP Logged
Ajay Gehi, An actor and a smart investor
By his own admission Ajay Gehi wanted to start early in life. Well, not as an actor but he wanted to be on his own somehow. So during his school and college days he took part in drama, elocution, debates, singing and dancing. After his graduation, he did his diploma in export management.

However, instead of managing an export business, he got into modelling and went on to do more than 100 ads for products as varied as Fanta, Spright, Kingfisher, Clinic All Clear, Close-Up and Sansui, to name just a few. Knowing fully well that modelling can't be a life-long affair he studied technical analysis and worked for a stock broker.

When the equity market witnessed two scams and went through a long bearish phases, he did stock picking according to his gut feeling and understanding of fundamentals and Sensex levels. Call it the modelling effect or whatever, while he was investing in equities he found that his heart was not into the stock market but in acting. In fact, he developed a passion for acting and decided to take the plunge.

He anchored Superhit Muqabala, did one-off episodes of Gubbare, Star Bestsellers, and even acted in a comedy show called Mamla Gadbad Hai. While modelling continued, he developed a love for feature films. And modelling helped him get a key role in Maqbool. "I played one of the main protagonists," says Ajay Gehi who decided to wait and watch before making his next move in acting.

"I am not a good looking model or actor but I know I can be a good actor and after Maqbool I decided to be careful in selecting roles. I was offered lots of films but my heart said no. I chose to do only three films." But the films got delayed and Ajay found himself doing nothing, not even stock-picking for he had already invested money on a long term basis. Thus when he was offered Rahul's role in Miilee Ajay thought of taking a shot at television.

"Miilee was different from the saas-bahu stuff, less melodramatic and less conventional and I was the hero of the show. It had all the shades of a good son, brother, lover and friend. And it had romance and comedy too," says the model-actor-equity investor who enjoyed his innings on TV. "I had a great time," he adds.

But owing to the change in the plot, Ajay had to opt out of Miilee. Ajay was happy because one of his films was about to get launched. But the film got delayed again and Ajay found himself doing nothing but watch the stock market scaling one milestone after another. Call it hara-kiri or bad judgment he divested his entire portfolio in September last year when the Sensex was at 6500 level.

After that the gush of liquidity from FIIs, hedge funds and HNIs took the market beyond 10,000 levels. "I have no regrets," says the actor-equity analyst. "I had invested when the market was below 3,000. So I made my money. Nobody had imagined that the markets would scale to such meteoric tops."

Now Ajay is all set to stage a comeback in Miilee. He is all set to start shooting by this month end and will be seen on television screen a week later. "My coming back in the show was certain. The question was when," says the actor who is hoping for a deep correction to re-enter the stock market again.

"Just wait and watch. India is no more an emerging market. It has already emerged and FIIs will start taking profits because valuations are either crazy or very rich. When correction happens it will be so deep that it will knock out hefty gains," he cautions. He knows the basics of equity investment. He follows the bottoms-up approach. In his view it is very dangerous to enter the market at the top. "You will burn your fingers," he says.

"Wait for a correction, even if it means waiting for two years. This market is not going to run away. The bearish phase is not far off." While he is eagerly waiting to re-enter Miilee two weeks down the line he is planning to do his stock picking when the Sensex crashes to 7,500 levels.

.Prometheus. Channel Moderator
.Prometheus.
.Prometheus.

Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing
u_rabia Goldie
u_rabia
u_rabia

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged
thanx for sharing
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top