For all Bajaj Fans!!!!

premanoj thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

"I have been offered three films which required me to play another Bajaj"

Posted on 10 June 2003

Shooting at Indiclay in Goregaon, he takes time off in his make-up room to talk to Vickey Lalwani.

Let's begin with a cliched question. Did you always want to be an actor?
(smiles) Yes. My childhood was spent in Ahmedabad. Friends in school used to tease me, 'Go to Mumbai if you want to be a hero. What are you hanging here for?' I came down to Mumbai when I was just a teenager. I worked with Subhash Ghai for a year. I knew him, and in fact, was living in his house. Initially, he dissuaded me from joining the film world, saying that this field is very, very 'speculative'.

By 'speculative', he meant that there is no guarantee. You may be riding the crest one moment, you fall into a trough the next. I agree with him. Bharat Bhushan, who was the best actor of yesteryears according to me, died without anybody near his bedside. I know of a famous former actor who has been seen begging on the streets, these days. Raj Kiran was reduced to driving a taxi.

Anyway, I worked as a management trainee at the Sea Rock Hotel in Mumbai. A year later, my dad expired. Something snapped and I quit my job. I went back to Ghai and joined him as an assistant director. During that stint, I realised that I'd need at least 10 years before I become a force to reckon with in direction. I could not wait. I joined Sanjeev Sharma and Mansoor Khan's company 'Pilot Communications' to learn cinema, which was a faster process than learning direction.

Later, I branched out to become a freelance editor. I edited lots of stuff for Ghai and went on to set up his video division too. I was involved with the setting up of Drishti India Limited. I directed 25 episodes of the revamped Chitrahaar on Doordarshan and even some commercials. I even modelled in some ads.

Tell us about 'Ace Security and Protection'...
Lagaan was my first big break, so to speak. It was the acid test of my potential. There was a scene that needed 10,000 people running behind Aamir Khan. I had to arrange the 200 trucks bringing in those villagers, who were all understandably very excited to meet Aamir. Now, those people were supposed to stop at a particular point, but they didn't.

I almost panicked but we managed to bring the situation under control. We whisked Aamir away to a safe location on the sets and then had him speak to the 10,000 villagers, all bursting to catch a glimpse of him. Besides, making sure that they all left the location satisfied and did not create any ruckus was also important.

Thereafter, we handled major films like Dil Chahta Hai, Yaadein, Na Tum Jano Na Hum, Saathiya and Armaan.

I have a wonderful equation with Aamir Khan, courtesy Lagaan. He is extremely cooperative. It is interesting to provide security for stars and productions, who understand the imperative value and need for security. Hrithik, too, is extremely cooperative. He is always ready to listen and act according to the needs of the security personnel and the situations that arise. Likewise with any other star I have been chosen to cover and protect.

All my boys are trained in martial arts and other security techniques. Besides, they have been trained to deal with the stars and situations.

And then came the role of Rishabh Bajaj?
After three years of business, Balaji Telefilms called me first for Kammal, then they wanted me to take up Rishabh Bajaj's role in Kasautii.... Then came Mihir Virani in Kyunki.... And the rest, as they say, is history (smiles).

"There were some people who even told me that I won't be able to make Mihir as famous as Bajaj. Today, Mihir has raced ahead of Bajaj"

"Hysteria (created by the turn in the story)would not be a satisfying experience for me. I am enjoying the fact that my performance is doing the talking"

Are there any similarities between Bajaj and Ronit?
There are a few similarities. Bajaj must be very well brought up, just like me. But there are a whole lot of differences too. Unlike me, Bajaj is very ruthless when it comes to business decisions. I have never snatched other people's work or played dirty politics. I have immense faith in destiny. Whatever I deserve, I will get. Nobody can take that away. Generally, Bajaj dons three-piece suits, while I can be seen in a casual jeans and T-shirt.

"To an actor, it should not matter whether he is playing an older person or a younger one"

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ionia thumbnail
tfs........Ronit Roy does have immense experience in the film world and he seems like a far better man than Mr. Bajaj. I like him a lot 😊
WoHaXItZxAaKi thumbnail
tfs!itz posted already! 😊
CrazyNoori thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
thanks but its already been posted but thanks again it was nice to see his pictures 😆

luv noori
premanoj thumbnail
Sorry guys I didn't knew that it was already posted....