Classical singers in Hindi movies? - Page 3

Posted: 18 years ago
thanks for a great topic. i don't usually feel the urge to contribute [yes, i'm one of the lurking members, watching from the sidelines...], but here goes:

Pt Jasraj: Kabir dohas in Shyam Benegal's Susman
Hiradevi Mishra: aaja sanwariya in Gaman
Wow...thanks all...I really feel like Buddha today...enlightened...Thanks all for writing in.....
And as they say the best way to learn is to surround urself with people who know more than u...and this is one place where u can do that!

Originally posted by gckasturi

thanks for a great topic. i don't usually feel the urge to contribute [yes, i'm one of the lurking members, watching from the sidelines...], but here goes:

Haven't heard Pt. Jasraj in Susman but yes, I should have remembered Hiradevi Mishra in that traditional thumri from Gaman:

"aaja sanwariya tohe garwa lagaa loon, ras ke bhare tore nain"

There was another song that I seem to remember... "Saiyyan rooth gaye, main manaati rahi" - cant remember who the singer was (was it one of Saraswati Rane, Girija Devi, Shobha Gurtu)... 😕

Originally posted by gckasturi

... and gckasturi ji, you should contribute more often 😊...

I think saiyan rooth gaye is Shobha Gurtu
Haraihan

Hariharan was born into a musical family. His father was a graduate from the SwatiTirunal College of Music. His interest in Carnatic music was imbibed in him by his mother but he was exposed to Hindustani music as well. He trained under Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan. In 1970, he was first exposed to the singing of Mehdi Hassan and became addicted to the ghazal. Determined to sing it himself, he became a diligent student of Urdu. He recorded some ghazal albums, such as ''Reflections", ''Gulfam,'' and ''Aab-Shaar-E-Ghazal'' with Asha Bhonsle. In the late seventies, music director, Jaidev offered him the song ''Ajeeb Saane He Mujh Par Qurar,'' in Muzaffar Ali's ''Gaman,''. Work with some of the industry's best music directors followed, such as Naushad, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Salil Choudhury and R.D. Burman. And of course, A.R. Rehman, with whom Hariharan has had a very prolific association. He has also sung for various Tamil films, such as ''Love Birds,''''Mr. Romeo,'' and ''Kalluri Vasal,''.

Some Of The Credits

Teesri aankh
Shikar
Border
Sahibaan
Lamhe
Darr
Roja
Bombay
Rangeela
Haqeeqat
Hindustahni
Tere Mere Sapne
Khamoshi

😳

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Thanks orangesoftji. 😊

Giggles you're right, it is indeed Shobha Gurtu

My pleasure 😳

Originally posted by adwarakanath

Zapmanji, I've heard Naushad being referred to as Ust. Naushad Ali by some, and he was a Sitar player. He studied under three classical masters. Would also qualify under that category?

Didn't know Naushad played sitar. Thanks!

But no, that shouldn't/wouldn't count - I'd think.

Wasn't the original poster was looking for ppl who are primarily known as classical artists who also dabbled in Bollywood?

Originally posted by juggyE

Ust. Allah Rakha has played tabla in movies. I'm pretty much sure that he was on the tabla for "naache mann mora magan tikta dhigi dhigi" from Meri Surat Teri Aankhen...

Not just that, Ust. Alla Rakha was the MD for several Hindi films - under the name AR Qureshi. Check out the following link:

http://www.downmelodylane.com/allarakha.html

Originally posted by giggles_2005

I think saiyan rooth gaye is Shobha Gurtu

thanks giggles ji...