Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Is Twinkle Overrated?? (Page 4)

SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 5:28am | IP Logged

Originally posted by adwarakanath

...she sang very well. Her number from Amrapali - Tumhe Yaad Karte Karte was exceptional,...

I remember Jatin ji's comments afrer that song, he said that "yeh gaana to ek virah mein tadap rahi premika ka gaana hai, woh bikul nahin ro rahi hai...lekin tumne aise gaaya jaise ki woh ro rahi hai"....LOL

kishore_bhakta Senior Member
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged
I saw this thread while passing through the forums this morning.

I never heard her pre-C2005 days, so I certainly cannot comment on her singing style overall. I've heard people say great things about other contestants who ultimately got eliminated before the 1st charan was over.

Anywho, Twinkle did sing the prelim song "tumhe yaad karte karte" very well (didn't sound as husky as she did later on). As JL pointed out (I agree too), she added a little more much expression which made it sound too sad and not listenable.

Her 1st round 1st day song (sounded like some thumri, started with 'saiyaan') was not her best performance, as she 'exaggerated' the expression at the cost of sur. The next day was a little better (the qawwali).

I agree with Abhi that Daler Mehndi did instill these principles, but honestly, and I hate to say this, there was another person who 'forced' them to go performance-based. That was ID. Remember in the performance episode, when Hemachandra (stood still) and sang 'lekar hum diwana dil', Sharib (stood still) and sang 'chaiyya chaiyya', Swananda (stood still) and sang 'sharara sharara', Niladri (tried dancing to it) sang 'sara zamana', and Joyeeta singing 'aiye aa jaiye'(really dancing to it truly at the cost of the sur, I never heard the song before, so I can't tell if her tivra madhyam-meant-to-be-pancham was like that in the original track or not).

Twinkle definitely started going downhill once Agni Pariksha took place. Either poor song selection or lack of focus of the entire challenge as a whole must have really weaned her best down to "Shakalaka Baby" for A.R. Rehman, and the theme song to "Pyar To Hona Hi Tha." I actually listened to the track (the tune sounds great by JL, but the voices he chose are beyond my realm of understanding. Mano + Jaspinder Narula?) Twinkle, imho, copied the way JN did the throw in the words "hona hi."

In her last episode where Amrita Rao and Shahid Kapoor were the judges and she sang some song in Ishk Vishk, I didn't hear her miss a beat or a note, but her voice didn't sound too 'sweet' as she said the words "woh ajnabi."

In saying all of this, I think if she focuses on singing and singing alone, and hopefully IF SRGMP EVER decides to go back to its original format (i.e. early day when Shaan was the host, or even before that when Sonu Nigam was the host), I think she has great potential.
roy IF-Rockerz
roy
roy

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 6:35am | IP Logged
twinkle is indeed over rated might be due to glamor stuck indians who think she is hot LOL.the girl was behaving weiard with her funny expressions on ek mein aur ek tu episode. no hard feeling though for her suppoters just an opinion.

but just liked 1 or two performances.

but i think there is a big differnce in ujjaini she was impressive , very nice performances Clap
soulsoup IF-Dazzler
soulsoup
soulsoup

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 6:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

I saw this thread while passing through the forums this morning.

I never heard her pre-C2005 days, so I certainly cannot comment on her singing style overall. I've heard people say great things about other contestants who ultimately got eliminated before the 1st charan was over.

Anywho, Twinkle did sing the prelim song "tumhe yaad karte karte" very well (didn't sound as husky as she did later on). As JL pointed out (I agree too), she added a little more much expression which made it sound too sad and not listenable.

Her 1st round 1st day song (sounded like some thumri, started with 'saiyaan') was not her best performance, as she 'exaggerated' the expression at the cost of sur. The next day was a little better (the qawwali).

I agree with Abhi that Daler Mehndi did instill these principles, but honestly, and I hate to say this, there was another person who 'forced' them to go performance-based. That was ID. Remember in the performance episode, when Hemachandra (stood still) and sang 'lekar hum diwana dil', Sharib (stood still) and sang 'chaiyya chaiyya', Swananda (stood still) and sang 'sharara sharara', Niladri (tried dancing to it) sang 'sara zamana', and Joyeeta singing 'aiye aa jaiye'(really dancing to it truly at the cost of the sur, I never heard the song before, so I can't tell if her tivra madhyam-meant-to-be-pancham was like that in the original track or not).

Twinkle definitely started going downhill once Agni Pariksha took place. Either poor song selection or lack of focus of the entire challenge as a whole must have really weaned her best down to "Shakalaka Baby" for A.R. Rehman, and the theme song to "Pyar To Hona Hi Tha." I actually listened to the track (the tune sounds great by JL, but the voices he chose are beyond my realm of understanding. Mano + Jaspinder Narula?) Twinkle, imho, copied the way JN did the throw in the words "hona hi."

In her last episode where Amrita Rao and Shahid Kapoor were the judges and she sang some song in Ishk Vishk, I didn't hear her miss a beat or a note, but her voice didn't sound too 'sweet' as she said the words "woh ajnabi."

In saying all of this, I think if she focuses on singing and singing alone, and hopefully IF SRGMP EVER decides to go back to its original format (i.e. early day when Shaan was the host, or even before that when Sonu Nigam was the host), I think she has great potential.

Clap Great analysis Kishore_Bhakta - totally agree.

The problem is performance of a Singer nowadays is related to physical presentation and dance et all. Asha ji is also a great performer - but she did/does her performance by her enchanting voice nothing else.

BTW  male voice of 'Payar to…' is by Remo

kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 6:55am | IP Logged
Remo!!! Remo! Remo! I meant to put that! (they sound the same) Thanks, Soul_soup!
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 6:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by soulsoup

The problem is performance of a Singer nowadays is related to physical presentation and dance et all. Asha ji is also a great performer - but she did/does her performance by her enchanting voice nothing else.

Swananda said this to Shaan that she wants to perform in a way that no one needs to see her "move" in order to be able to move themselves.

luvmusic Goldie
luvmusic
luvmusic

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged
I think yes...definitely...I liked only O Babua song by her.I think people go on 'looks' n like her.....if she cud stop being loud (in every sense...her behaviour,her make-up,dressing etc etc)....very surprisingly, she was the one who was saying to the designer that they r no actors n cannot wear clothes like them...but she seems to be quite following the screen idols....?!?!?
kishore_bhakta
kishore_bhakta

Posted: 20 March 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged
Ashaji has a great voice already. She is a great performer too! What a combo! Clap You gotta love her!

Go to top