By WENN| Wednesday, March 15, 2006
HOLLYWOOD - Peter O'Toole's portrayal of T.E. Lawrence in David Lean epic Lawrence of Arabia
has topped a new list of the greatest movie performances.
The iconic actor sprained both his ankles, dislocated his spine and knocked himself out twice while making the 1962 movie, and admits he became "obsessed" with adventurer Lawrence.
But it seems it was all worth it--the portrayal beat Marlon Brando's role as Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront
and Meryl Streep's acclaimed part (Sophie Zawistowska) in Sophie's Choice
in the 100 Greatest Performances of All Time list in movie magazine Premiere
In a related poll, Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Herring (Mulholland Drive
), Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine (Sleuth
), and Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
) were named among the Dynamic Duos of movie history.
The top 10 greatest performances are:
1. Peter O'Toole as T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia
2. Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy (On the Waterfront
3. Meryl Streep as Sophie Zawistowska (Sophie's Choice
4. Al Pacino as Sonny Wortzik (Dog Day Afternoon
5. Bette Davis as Margo Channing (All About Eve
6. James Cagney as George M. Cohan (Yankee Doodle Dandy
7. Dustin Hoffman as Ratso Rizzo (Midnight Cowboy
8. James Stewart as George Bailey (It's a Wonderful Life
9. Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein (Young Frankenstein
10. Robert De Niro as Jake La Motta (Raging Bull
) Source: Hollywood