Music Corner
Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 96)

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:17am | IP Logged

the people who made a difference

India Today featured "1994: the people who made a difference." Rahman was the featured one in the music department. Here is the article on him... ( Rahman watchers note the Govind Nihalani part)

For close to two decades, Tamil Pop and film scores meant mostly Ilaiyaraaja. It was easy, he never really had any competition. Till a 25-year old who prefers untrained voices to silky smooth renditions and breathing space between beats to typical many-layered, cramped orchestration came along. Now, two years later, A.R.Rahman looks like he is here to stay, with his digitalised sound based on pop-rock and reggae and fused with traditional Indian-mainly Carnatic-folk idioms. The supreme irony: he used to play keyboards in Ilaiyaraja's orchestra. Says Gangai Amaran, a music director and Ilaiyaraja's brother:"Rahman's music is of the computer age. It is digital, but intelligent, not just noise. He concentrates on his melody and has not deviated totally from Carnatic traditions." What he has done, though, is deviated totally from the norm and rung up hit score after hit track, moving near effortlessly from the Tamil scene to take over Hindi film music. And spawned on the way a whole new approach that is finding imitators countrywide. Even before the Hindi version of director Mani Ratnam's Tamil film Roja hit the screens last year - in a way, Rahman can be a called a Ratnam discovery, spotted by him as a promising composer even against the backdrop of Ilaiyaraja's elaborate orchestration - the sound track and songs were churning cash registers. They helped sell over 25 lakh tapes. Bollywood director Subhash Ghai has replaced Laxmikant-Pyarelal with Rahman for his next project, and pre-release has sold the sound track for a figure of Rs.1 crore, very respectable by industry standards. Art film maestro Govind Nihalani has also signed him on. And Ratnam has banked on Rahman's earlier magic with Roja to sell the sound track for his soon to be released Bombay for Rs.80 lakh. Rahman, a former jingle composer, works to exacting standards of quality, but is also an inveterate risk-taker. For Roja, he used the quavering voices of old women to great effect, and for the now famous title track, the non-filmi, pop voices of Baba Sehgal and Shweta Shetty. For Chikkubukku raile, a Tamil hit song, he banked on an unknown voice, its lisp and anglicised delivery. Rahman likes working with untrained voices, saying a slight "defect in the singing adds a human touch." A workable quirk? Typically, critics say that like other music trends, Rahman and his mood music will also fade away. He hopes to delay that by changing and offering new sounds, and staying relatively exclusive by accepting no more than five film projects a year. The fact is that it could take a Rahman to replace a Rahman. Few are likely to complain.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/the%20people%20who %20made%20a%20difference.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:19am | IP Logged

hamara rahman

This is a news article on Rahman that appeared as an editorial in Times of India Dated 1st July 1995.

Tamil music director A.R. Rahman has scored the music for his first Hindi film and inadvertently sounded a high C for the melodious rhtyhm of the fusion music he has created -- with chart-topping, nation-wide success -- only for south-of-the-Vindhyas cine ventures so far. Hindi music aficionados might well rejoice that Rahman in the original will henceforth be available; no longer will there be need for the tortuous transmutation that his Tamil film songs underwent to reach audiences that waxed lyrical over Roja's "Choti si asha", and Bombay's "Hamma Hamma". But this change might have more currency than that. For, Rahman's trumpeted, indeed yearned for, entry into Bollywood may have done more to orchestrate the diverse strains of north-south celluloid culture into a tuneful symphony that can be imagined. To use the geographical cliche by which Indian school children learn their country's extremes, when people from Kashmir to Kanyakumari sway alike to say, Kaadalan's "Muqabala", albeit in different toungues, there is unity-in-diversity indeed. Only thus, of course, could Rahman's arrival on the Bombay film scene have been possible. It bears noting that Ilayaraaja, whose music also used to be variously copied by Bombay's re-mix rajas (because it was a refreshingly dissimilar) can hardly be said to have achieved the north-south harmony Rahman has. But even if the song and dance over Rahman's Hindi film debut seems a trifle overdone it might at least help focus on a more discordant matter. The 28-year old is quite easily the most imitated man of music in India -- seven clones at last count of the song "Muqabala" but once his original renditions emanate directly from Bollywood, even more brazen of his imitators might conceivably choose caution over capricious copying. That said, it may be noted that the Hindi film industry is notoriously unfetterd when it comes to frank plagiarism of any theme, storyline, melody or lyric that it chances upon anywhere in the world and fancies. Our disregard for intellectual property rights or more simply, the right a creative person has to maintaining the singular attributes of his work, may accord well with our outrage over process patenting that the west is hell-bent upon, but at least the legislative restraint on blatant copyright violation is now in place, even if belatedly. In May, an amendment was incorporated in the copyright act prohibiting version recordings for two years after the original hits the charts. But for all the legislative discouragement, the culture of unapologetic imitativeness may still flourish for there is little one can do when we, as a people, are nonchalantly accepting of such creative kleptomania. Rahman of course, has thrown up his hands at the gimcrack imitations he sees of his creations. As he stays unruffled by the copyists, or indeed a super stardom undreamed of when the eleven-year old played a keyboard to earn his living, the nation could do worse than swing to his fusion-anthem of change.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/hamara%20rahman.ht m

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:21am | IP Logged

rahman roar!

Report appeared on The Straits Times, Singapore. BY S GULAM Nov 4, 1996/ Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Saturday Night Fever- Indian-style - at the Shah Alam Stadium. And the man turning up the heat was the King of Indian Pop, A R Rahman. He rocked the 80,000-seat stadium with 180 minutes of non-stop music and songs from all his hit movies. About 30,000 fans paid between RM$50 (S$20) and RM$1,000 to watch the musical wonderboy perform his first-ever "live" concert. And they created a roar which would have given any soccer match a run for its money. The night began with a countdown by the world-renowned drummer Subramani. It ended with the baby-faced Rahman taunting the crowd to plead for more...if it didn't want him to call it a day. It did. And Rahman, 27, fulfilled the request with his own favourite song, "Mustafa, Mustafa". Thousands of fans, including saree-clad women - young and middle-aged, got up and danced on the terrace. Rahman was, without doubt, the star attraction of the night that also featured other Indian artistes. He not only played the keyboard and the piano, he also sang and danced, bringing the crowd to its feet often.

High praise
His performance drew a fitting compliment from Rishi Kapoor, the chief guest for the night. Said the top Hindi movie star and son of the late Raj Kapoor: "A R Rahman, is, without doubt, the most talented musician in India." Tamil poet Vairamuthu said: "There are two Rs which rule Tamil Nadu today. One is superstar Rajinikanth. The other is A R Rahman." Rahman kept his promise and delivered one of the best Indian concerts ever.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/rahman%20roar.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:23am | IP Logged

set me free

Controversy: A war erupts between A.R.Rahman and Magnasound (Oct 96)

What's happening at Magnasound? Set Me Free, the English pop album which recently flooded the market, was originally released six years ago. At that time, the credits read... music composed by A.S. Dulip Kumar and rendered by Shubhaa. Not surprisingly the album found no takers. Then Roja came along. The little-known jingle composer A.S.Dulip Kumar became music director A. R. Rahman. Shrewd business minds at Magnasound lost no time in printing brand new cassette-wrappers with Rahman's name and face prominently displayed on the front flap... and announced the release of the first international album by the whiz kid. Huge hoardings sprung up all over Chennai city, publicising the new album... obviously in a bid to capitalise on Rahman's current popularity. Madhav Das, the executive director of Magnasound, didn't even feel the need to confer with A.R.Rahman before releasing the album. "Why should I ask Rahman about re-releasing an old album with a new name? After all Rahman too changed his name without asking anyone, didn't he?" says Das. On the other hand, Rahman is livid. "I'm not ashamed of my old album. Neither am I trying to hide my past," explained the music director. But he wants the public to know that Set Me Free is a six-year-old album which was done as an experimental venture with singer Shubhaa. Magnasound, he feels, is wrong in trying to pass it off as a brand-new album. When Set Me Free, the album that has stirred up a hornet's nest, was released way back in 1991, only 8,000 copies of the cassette were sold. According to Magnasound, it's because people weren't ready for that kind of music yet. Today anything with the name Rahman can turn to gold... which is why Magnasound has evidently flooded the market with 20,000 cassettes of an album that was once a non-starter. Set Me Free re-appeared on the store counters on September 26, this year. Within 48 hours, stocks were sold out throughout the city. Spurred by the response, Madhav Das has decided to go for the kill. Zee TV, Star Plus and all other satellite channels will advertise a 'new' pop album from A.R. Rahman. "I'm positive I will be able to sell at least two lakh cassettes," Das claims. "I'm also not guilty of cheating either the public or Rahman because I have the legal rights to exploit this album. And make it a super-duper HIT."

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/set%20me%20free.ht m

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:25am | IP Logged

jana gana mana: Translated from Dina Thanthi 27-01-2000

A. R. Rahman who gave his music to vandemataramhas now returned with Jana
Gana Mana. The Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee will release the
cassette today(Thursday) in NEw Delhi. A.R.Rahman has achieved many
milestone s in the film industry. The patriotic song Vnademataram sung by
him achieved worldide fame. In continuation Rahman has now given his music
to India's NAtional Anthem Jana Gana Mana, IN this singers from all over the
country ahve lent their voice.

Rahman will accompany the Prime Minister in the release function. For this
purpose rahman, his mother KAreema BEgum, wife Saira BAnu, daughters Kathija
and rafia, sisters Kanchana, talat and ISrath left for Delhi by a special
flight yestreday evening from Chennai. Speaking to Dina Thanthi Rahman said
" On one side there is film music. I wish to tkae patriotic music to the
poeple. That is why I lent music to Vandemataram and aroused the emotions of
the people. Likewise I felt I should do it with jana Gana MAna also.I wanted
to release it during kargil but was not able to."

In this album 40 artyistes of Carnatuc, Hindustani and film music have come
together to sing and play under Rahman's music direction. Work has bene
going on for two months for this. This album is also produced by Bharatbala
who prooduced Vandemataram.

"I feel people sing the national anthem out of a sens eof duty and not out
of a sense of joy. iw nt them to sing it ith emotion. taht;'s why I ahve
taken up this project, said Rahman.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/jgm_thinathanthi.h tm
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:27am | IP Logged

Dinakaran spoke to A.R.Rahman after he was awarded the Padmashri

Q: What do you feel on receiving this award
A:
I am extremely happy and surprised at receiving this award. I hope Ic na
justify my receiving this award

Q:Is this award a morale booster?
A:
YES. till now I have been receiving mailny film awards. This si the first
tiem that I ahve received such an award

q: What was your mother's reaction?
A:
She is overjoyed. She congratulated me. I thank God, her, all the people
nd the Govt for thsi award

Q: What do you think about Rajnikanth gettign the Padmabhushan?
A:
He should ahve got it long ago. I would like to express my
congratulations to him. I am happy to be honoured on the same platform as
people like Rajnikanth and Shekhar Kapoor.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/jgm_thinathanthi.h tm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:29am | IP Logged

award: Padma Shri 

THE HINDU
Padma Vibhushan for R.K. Narayan, Gill 
By Our Special Correspondent 

NEW DELHI, JAN. 25. Eminent writer, Mr. R.K. Narayan, the Chief Election Commissioner, Dr. Manohar Singh Gill, the ISRO Chairman, Dr. K. Kasturirangan, noted Hindustani classical musicians, Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia, Pandit Jasraj and Ustad Vilayat Ali Khan, were today honoured with the Padma Vibhushan, the nation's second highest civilian award, on the occasion of the 51st Republic Day. 

The senior BJP leader and former Union Minister, Mr. Sikander Bakht, noted economists, Prof. Jagdish Bhagwati and Prof. K. N. Raj, Swami Ranganathananda of the Ramakrishna Mission, Odissi dance exponent, Mr. Kelucharan Mohapatra, the former Reserve Bank of India Governor, Mr. M. Narsimham, the former Punjab Governor, Mr. B.D. Pande, and former civil servants, Mr. Tarlok Singh and Mr. Krishen Behari Lall, are among the personalities who have been honoured with the Padma Vibhushan.

Padma Bhushan for Rajnikant 

The film star, Mr. Rajnikant, the eminent industrialist, Mr. Ratan Tata, the former Information Adviser to Indira Gandhi, Mr. H.Y. Sharada Prasad, noted Islamic scholar, Maulana Wahiduddin Khan, the noted scientists, Prof. R.A. Mashelkar, Prof. P.V. Indiresan, Prof. P.C. Sekharan, Dr. Ram Narain Agarwal and Dr. Vasudev K. Aatre, are among the Padma Bhushan awardees.

The social worker, K.J. Somaiya, and the scientist, S. Srinivasan, have been bestowed the honour posthumously. 

The husband-wife team of Kuchipudi exponents, Mr. Raja and Mrs. Radha Reddy, the theatre personality, Mr. Badal Sircar, the cardiologist, Dr. H.S. Wasir, the social worker, Mr. D. Veerendra Heggade, the environmentalist, Mr. Anil Agarwal, the archaeologist, Mr. B.B. Lal, the instrumentalist, Ms. Sharan Rani Backliwal, the social workers, Mr. V. Swami Kalyan Deo and Begum Kudsia Aizaz Rasul, are among the 21 personalities who have been named for Padma Bhushan awards. 

Padma Shri for A.R. Rahman 

The music director, Mr. A. R. Rahman, the film director, Mr. Shekhar Kapur, the vocalist, Ms. Shubha Mudgal, the Hindi film actress, Ms. Hema Malini, the film producer and director, Mr. Ramanand Sagar, figure among the 43 Padma Shri awardees. 

Mr. N.R. Narayana Murthy of Infosys Technologies and another IT expert, Dr. Vijay Bhatkar, also figure among the Padma Shri awardees. The Padma Shri has also been awarded to noted theatre personality, Mr. Alyque Padamsee, painter, Ms. Anjolie Ela Menon, Prof. G. L. Bondarevsky of Russia and Ms. Janaky Athinahappan of Malaysia and S. N. Gourisaria of the U.K. 

PTI reports from Calcutta: 

Swami Ranganathananda, president of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, today declined to accept the Padma Vibhushan as it has been awarded to him personally, Mission sources said here. 

The Swami had accepted the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration in 1987 and the Gandhi Peace Prize in February last year as both were awarded to the Ramakrishna Mission and not to an individual monk, the sources said.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/padma_shri.htm
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 19 May 2006 at 4:31am | IP Logged
And now the world is Rahman's stage 
By Nikhat Kazmi 

NEW DELHI: Time for the Indian musical note to go global with music whiz kid A R Rahman all set to do a Shekhar Kapur to popular Indian music. Even as Kapur continues to create a niche for the Indian filmmaker in the west, Rahman is fast becoming the global face of Indi-pop. For close on the heels of Ekam Satyam, his duet with Michael Jackson last year, comes Bombay Dreams, a musical jugalbandi with Andrew Lloyd Weber, which will hit the UK stage later this year.

According to Rahman, it is the increasing popularity of Indian film music in the overseas market which has forced the west to sit up and take note of the 'richness' and 'diversity' of Indian notes. ''There is a whole new movement of Indian music happening all over the world today,'' says the singer-musician. ''Madonna is singing our songs, Michael Jackson is crooning Ekam Satyam. Even Stanley Kubrick incorporated Indian notes in Eyes Wide Shut.

Yes, the world seems to be opening up for Indian music.'' And why not? Specially, when ''there is a whole new community - Indian and not yet Indian - which wants something cool, yet Indian,'' he explains. And the
new-fangled brand of techno-savvy fusion music, unspooling from the burgeoning Indian studios is catering to this need of the new listener with his desire for hip and soul together.

Weber's attention, however, turned to Indian music after the success of the music album of Taal in the overseas market, feels Rahman. ''The fact that Taal entered the top 20 of the UK audio charts has encouraged people like Weber to explore more and experiment with Indian music too. I was lucky to be able to meet him,'' enthuses the music composer who is all set to leave for the UK after
completing his film commitments here. Of course, with two maestros working together, the notes aren't going to be smooth and easy all the way, specially if they hail from two different cultures. ''I know it's not going to be easy, but
both of us are determined to give it a shot,'' he adds optimistically.

In the Capital to release his latest 'patriotic' music video Jana Gana Mana 2000 - a Bharatbala and Kanika production - Rahman expressed his discomfiture with the increasing 'noise' in Indian music. ''It is very easy to produce noise today. To take a medley of instruments and go dhak-chik-dhak-ch ik. All this may seem very cool when you listen to it the first time. But then it gets irritating and
nobody wants to buy,'' he laments. 

''Today, there is a need to infuse a soul in the technically savvy Indian pop music,'' he explains. But for that musicians need to work much harder. ''It is fairly simple to compose a thumri on a raga but to combine a technological
arrangement into a composition that is both soulful and longer living takes more time and patience. Even when I do a song, it seems like noise first. But then, I remove things, add so many new elements and don't let it go out of the
studios unless it gets a soul,'' he explains. 

Needless to say, that's the secret of his success. For tunes like Choti si aasha (Roja), Humma Humma (Bombay), Tanha Tanha (Rangeela), Ishq bina (Taal) and Chaiyya Chaiyya (Dil Se) are all soul. With a shelf-life too.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/timesofindia.htm

Go to top