Music Corner

A.R.Rahman (Fan Club) (Page 93)

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 8:37am | IP Logged

interview - Lisa Tsering, India Abroad News Service - july 2000

a r rahman - on the brink of worldwide acclaim - By 

New York, June 5 -- Being roped in by international playwright Andrew Lloyd Webber and director Shekhar Kapur to compose the music for the former's next stage spectacular, "Bombay Dreams," Allah Rakha Rahman, or A.R. Rahman, is today on the brink of being discovered by a Western audience.

India's most sought-after music director, who wants the whole world to hear his music, has been given full artistic freedom for Webber's stage production, based on the Indian film industry. He has set up a studio in London where he will be working on the project in between his Indian film assignments. Rahman discloses he is considering working for another international project, "The Thief of Baghdad," but has not finalized it yet.

Rahman, who has sold an estimated 40 million albums in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi, was in New York to accept an award for his score for Subhash Ghai's 1999 musical love story "Taal" at the Zee Gold Bollywood awards presentation. He described the challenges that now lay ahead in an interview with the California newspaper India-West.

Excerpts:

Q: First of all, do you prefer to be called Allah Rakha? Or A.R. Rahman?

A: A.R. Rahman...like M.C. Hammer (laughs).

Q: Do you feel a very great responsibility now that you've been named to the "Bombay Dreams" project?

A: There has been a great responsibility when I started, actually. It's not a sudden thing. When I did my first film, "Roja," my main intention was that the music should go beyond the walls of India and should be heard all over. Indian culture should be accessible to everyone, even for young people.

Q: How will composing for the international stage be different for you?

A: See, the main thing that strikes them - the Really Useful group (Webber's production company) - is that it's accessible to them and it's accessible to the Asians too. It's going to be the same way.

Q: What is it? The person goes to Bombay to try to be a star...

A: No, no, no (laughs). You'll get to know when it's ready. There is a lot of traditional stuff, the way they started this originally, but I've been given the liberty to develop this any which way I want. So in fact, I have set up a studio in my flat near the campus of the Really Useful Group in London. So I started to break tradition there.

Q: Once this starts, will you be stopping your Indian projects for a while?

A: I'm not going to stop, because that was the inspiration. That is my inspiration. All the films have been my inspiration to the whole "Bombay Dreams" itself. If I stop that, I will feel unconnected from my roots. So I said I will probably work 20-30 days in the United Kingdom, and then go back to my projects.

Q: Where do you get your inspiration?

A: Everything. I feel the whole world is like one. There are different cultures, but you get moved, and even when they listen to a "raag" like in "Vande Mataram" I did, or the Bombay theme or anything, they hear the "raag" and they feel they can tell what the pulse is, I can see tears sometimes and I can see joy sometimes. So it doesn't have any language.

Q: I heard that you like to work all night and sleep all day.

A: Mostly (laughs). When I work during the day, I get a lot of phone calls, and a lot of decisions need to be made. I have to come out of my trance. So nights are better for me. Mainly when I do overdubs and things it's during the day. My own work, whenever I write and do creative work, though, is mostly at night.

Q: Let's talk about the singing. You have the ability to coax these incredible performances out of incredible singers, be it a Sonu Nigam, Kavita Krishnamurty, or Udit Narayan, or in "Dil Se," making Lata Mangeshkar sound like she was 20 years old. What is your secret for pushing them?

A: See, the main thing is for them to get comfortable. When they come to sing a track, it shouldn't be like an exam, they should have fun. First of all, you set up an environment for them. The vibes are much better than if they are thinking, "I have to go in one hour." So they come to Madras and it's almost like a holiday for them. They come to the studio and they have endless time. There's no other artists waiting. Once they start singing, I just keep recording all the candid performances. Whatever they sing.

Q: The demands of singing on the Broadway stage require a whole different set of pipes than the studio singing and the Indian classical singing. You are going to be working with a completely different breed of singer entirely.

A: That is quite a difficult task, to find talent like that. But we have time to train them, as long as the compositions work. That's a very tough task, and we'll probably come to that stage in a couple of months so we'll know then. But there are so many equally talented people coming up, we may be surprised to find someone excellent and good-looking.

Q: Why don't you work with Kumar Sanu?

A: I did work with Kumar Sanu once, in "Kabhi Na Kabhi," but he sings in a different, traditional Bollywood kind of style. Most of my stuff is ... freaky, you know? (laughs) I mean, my school is slightly different. Maybe it's how you reach people rather than having any type of type-casting in mind.

Q: What are your current projects?

A: "Lagaan" with Amir Khan and "Zubeida" with Shyam Benegal, and "One Two ka Four" with Shah Rukh Khan. The playback singers will be Lata, Asha Bhosle, the pop singer Raageshwari, Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik, plus a couple of new singers - Poonam and Mahalakshmi.

Q: Besides Webber are there any Western collaborators in the wings?

A: There is The "Thief of Baghdad," a film which is a co-production between Hollywood and Madras, which we might collaborate on but we still haven't done it.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/interviews/india_abroad_jul y2000.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 8:39am | IP Logged
Welcome Sammie, Its my tribute to Disha, its our responsibility to keep this tread alive....we are goin to reach 100 page...any suggestion regarding this?
dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged

rahman burnt out?

*Please see the end of this page!

It's a great, euphoric feeling, being at the top. Some lucky talented ones attain it without much effort. But sitting on that chair can be like sitting on a giant wheel. One minute you're up there, the next, you're down. Ask whiz kid A.R.Rahman. Just yesterday he was being heralded as the Number One music director in the country, the marvel who pulled one foot-tapping tune after another out of practically nowhere. Today, everyone is ready to knock him off the pedestal they'd placed him on. To be very objective, Rahman's last few creations haven't exactly topped the charts. The music of Tu Hi Mera Dil, Love Birds, even Hindustani are being rejected by music lovers. What could have happened to the man whose creativity produced such memorable sound-tracks in Roja, Bombay and Rangeela? Why had the twenty-three-year-old genius" music stopped appealing to music lovers? Is this is a classic case of early burnout? Or is it just a temporary setback? SHOWTIME decided to find out by speaking to a cross-section of the industry and music world, and asking their views.

Nadeem of the famous Nadeem-Shravan team said, "Yes, today Rahman's music has got so repetitive that each song of his sounds the same. Most of his songs sound like they are an extension of the original few numbers which he had created in movies like Bombay or Roja. Technically, Rahman is a genius but as a composer of late he has not been able to sustain himself. Also, since most of his songs are dubbed, people have great difficulty in following the lyrics. Ratan Jain of Venus who had marketed A.R.Rahman's Hum Se Hai Muqabla from the original Tamil film Kaadalan commented, "Of late it has become very easy to identify A.R. Rahman's songs. All his songs bear similarities with his previous numbers. The best thing about Rahman is that he uses an orchestra in his songs, and he blends it so well. But the music market being competitive he should realise that every song can't be orchestrated in a similar way. To this adds Mr.Bohra of Polygram India who has marketed the hit film Bombay and also one flop album called Love Birds, "Yes, definitely A.R.Rahman's songs all sound the same and of late it's just become too much. If I am allowed to, I'll say that the songs from Rangeela were different. Here, it looked like he had taken some special interest and done it quite differently. Also what happens is, since most of them are later dubbed, a lot of their charm is lost like the songs of Priyanka or Thiruda Thiruda or Love Birds. Another charge against Rahman is that his style of working has irked many a director. Apparently, he takes a very long time to create music and, according to filmmakers, he is very selective about whom he works for. Is this attitude correct? Nadeem doesn't find anything wrong with the working policy of his rival. "See, there's nothing wrong if he works in this manner. This is a correct attitude and that's how all the members of my fraternity should be working. If he chooses to do a few films...I think such a style of working can enable him to give his best. If Rahman uses an orchestra for his songs he also uses different and rather unusual singers for his songs, which works pretty well, like Remo Fernandes for Bombay or a pop singer like Shweta Shetty for Rangeela, which has worked in his favour. Nadeem nods in affirmation, "Yes, he is very good with such gimmicks and they have paid off. Also he has to his advantage a well equipped studio with modern amenities. But what's so great if he is doing well here?" asks Nadeem and then continues, "If he is doing well here it's probably because he is a bit different from the North music directors. But in the South, Rahman is no great shakes. His style resembles Ilayaraja's and many others." "The recently released music of Hindustani isn't much to talk about. Save for one number the album is quite thanda", says Bohra. "Our company marketed two of his films, Bombay and Love Birds and the sales of Love Birds was a disaster. Later on we realised that the original Tamil version of the film itself was no great shakes, so obviously the dubbed one wouldn't do well. Again the major problem we foresee is that those dubbed movies do well which have stars from north, like Bombay has Manisha Koirala or even Hindustani can since it has Manisha and Urmila and Kamal Haasan who is not an out-and-out South star. But Nadeem contradicts Bohra, "There is not much to hear in Hindustani. These songs last till their publicity lasts, after that they eventually fade out unlike our songs like Aashiqui etc, which one still hums even after 5 years." All three universally maintained that Rahman's songs lack melody. Bohra stressed, "The age group between 18-25 go for Rahman's type of music but the majority of them prefer to have soft melody songs. So his market is restricted only to the teenagers. And how long can that go on for? Ultimately where does one see Rahman after 5 years? Nadeem was quick to add, "See, there is no doubt that given a right kind of an environment and with his potential he can do much more, but for that he mustn't restrict himself. Also the instant fame he has got, I can only say, it's because he is such a Namaazi fellow that God has bestowed his good wishes on him.

Otherwise he is nothing exceptional. Ratan Jain was more diplomatic, "I don't know what will happen 5 years from now but Rahman will not fade out this soon. While Bohra says, "It's all a matter of time, luck and perseverance. Also one has the ability to see his faults in time and take reasonable steps to rectify them. If all this is there than there can be nothing which can stop Rahman from ruling the roost!"

A R Rahman fans, don't worry all these stupid people here are talking like this because they are unable to produce good music so why not try a hand on talking?!Our Genius will be the No.1 always and he will always remain the best music director in the history of motion pictures!
-Krish Ashwin

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/rahman%20burnt%20o ut.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged
'Chand sifarish' from 'Fanaa' is song of the week

IANS

Music has been a major attraction in all Yash Chopra films, so it is no surprise to know that "Fanaa", too, has struck the right note and that its "Chand Sifarish" is number one song of the week.

The top 10 Hindi songs are:

Download Fanaa Wallpapers1. "Chand sifarish" - Film: "Fanaa"; Singers: Shaan and Kailash Kher; Music: Jatin-Lalit. A mixture of Arabic and Indian music, the enchanting song is selling like the proverbial hot cakes.

2. "Ya Ali" - Film: "Gangster - A Love Story"; Singer: Zubeen; Music: Pritam. Sufi songs are a craze these days and "Ya Ali" is the latest to join the list.

3. "Aashiqui meri" - Film: "36 China Town"; Singers: Himesh Reshammiya, Sunidhi Chauhan; Music: Himesh Reshammiya. Demand for this seductive number has soared since the film hit the screens.

4. "Jhoom jhoom" - Film: "Tom Dick And Harry"; Singer: Himesh Reshammiya; Music: Himesh Reshammiya. Another feel-good song from Reshammiya that is going places.

Download Hum Ko Deewana Kar Gaye Wallpapers5 "Fanah" - Film: "Humko Deewana Kar Gaye"; Singers: Sonu Nigam, Tulsi Kumar; Music: Anu Malik. The song's popularity has surprised music enthusiasts.

6 "It's a beautiful day" - Film: "Aryan"; Singers: Shreya Ghoshal and Hamza; Music: Anand Raj Anand. A sentimental romantic song for lovebirds!

7. "Mundya aa bhi jaa" - Film: "Shaadi Se Pehle"; Singer: Sunidhi Chauhan; Music: Himesh Reshammiya. A foot-tapping naughty number just for time pass!

Download Rang De Basanti Wallpapers8. "Roobaroo" - Film: "Rang De Basanti"; Singers: A.R. Rahman and Naresh Iyer; Music: A.R. Rahman. The Indi-pop composition makes its first appearance on this list.

9. "Right here right now" - Film: "Bluffmaster"; Singers: Abhishek Bachchan and Sunidhi Chauhan; Music: Vishal-Shekhar. Its popularity has slipped with other newer numbers making the grade, but this still finds place on the charts.

10 "Pyaar ki ek kahani" - Film: "Krrish"; Singers: Sonu Nigam and Shreya Ghoshal; Music: Rajesh Roshan. The romantic number rendered beautifully by the two talented artistes is eminently hummable.

http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoops/06/may/16topten.asp

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged

piper snared

All those pretty little hearts which beat to his mesmeric music are sure to be disappointed. India's Pied Piper, the 27-year-old music director, A.R.Rahman, is getting married. And unlike in the movies, it wasn't love at first sight. Rahman told his mother that all his bride needed to have was some education, some beauty and loads of humility. And mama cried Eureka when she saw a young girl praying in a mosque. But here, the plot thickened, as in Roja, Rahman's tour de force: The girl's parents---her father is a Madras-based businessman---said wrong number: if they were looking for a bride, it sould have to be their older daighter, 21-year-old Saira. A .R.Rahman fan herself, she couldn't let him down. As for Rahman, now it's Khwabon mein tu, saason mein tu...Saira!

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/piper%20snared.htm

sammie IF-Rockerz
sammie
sammie

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 9:13am | IP Logged

Originally posted by dayita

Welcome Sammie, Its my tribute to Disha, its our responsibility to keep this tread alive....we are goin to reach 100 page...any suggestion regarding this?

no suggestion yaar

i'm always a supporter only

but v hav to make d 100th page celebration a memorable one

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 9:13am | IP Logged

people on rahman

Mrs Rashmi Parthasarathi (Head mistress Padma seshadri Bala Bhavan)
Rahman enga schoolila padikakullayae Keyboard romba nallaa vaasippaan. Palaya Raj kapoor songs ellaam vaasichaan endaal romba nallaa irukum. Naangellaam appavae ivan nallaa varuvaan endu ninaichom. Height kuraichal naalae keyboard ettaathu, so oru periya stool mela aeri thaan vaasippaan. Schoolila padikkumpothae avan music troupila play pannikkondu irunthaan. So avan ammaa school vaasalila uniformoda nippaa ivan vasichittu vandhu andha uniformai pottittu thaan schoolukulla varuvaan. He had a lot of commitmets, illai endaal padippilaium nallaa panniyiruppaan. Enakku Rahman music le pidicha song 'otta kaara maarimuthu' from the film Indhira.

Suhasini
Enakku romba pidicha Music Director Ilaiyaraja. Avara thavira yaaroda musicum avvalavaa pidikkaathu.. Rahman aip patri sollanumna he is a friend and very talented. But Rahman kitta you cannot expect quantity but only quality orae maasathila mudichu tharanumnnu expect pannenganna neenga ARR kitte poga koodadhu.avar oru pattukke oru maasam eduthuppar.

K Balachander
Enakku ARR kitta oru chinna varutham undu. Oru senior person naan sonnatha avar kaekala ennu konjam kopham undu. Rotary clubla nadantha oru meetingla naan ARR pathi sollum pothu 'ARR innum 5-6 varushathila ulaga puhal adainjiduvaarnu' sonnaen. But naan sonnatha poi aaki rendae varushathila ulagap puhal adainjittaar Rahman.

Radhika
Enakku ARRai avvalavu personalaa theriyathu. Avarum avvalavaa pesa maattaar. Naan avara mudhalila parthathu Kilakku Cheemaikkup poojai potta appa cordiala wish panninom avvalavuthaan. Appuram Kilakku...shooting first naal.Thangachi kalyaanam pannittu annanai vittup pora scene-in fact enakku Kilaku Cheemai kadhaiyae andaikkuth thaan theriyum-appa oru paattu varanum.Aana paattu ready aahala. Barathiraja Vairamthuvukku phone panninaar appa Vairamuthu mulu paattaiyum phoneilayae sonnaar..Barathiraja aaha ohonnu avara paaratinaar. So tune podaamalaeyae antha paattai shoot pannitaanga. Later rush paartha pothu enakku romba pidichthu intha pattu.

P.C.Sriram
(aahaayathaip paarthu kondae paesinaar ivar)-Naan ARRoda work panninaa first padam "Thiruda Thiruda". It was a musical subject. Ovvoru paattum 4-7 mins. varum. so antha Trend ai spoil pannaama padam edukka naan konjam kashta pattaen.'Putham Pudhu Boomi Vaendummnu" Vairamuthu eluhthittaar. Pudhu boomi kandupidikka romba kashta pattom. Appuram Pollaachi pakkathila grasslandila indha patteduthom.May maadham naanga rendu paerum inaintha second film. Indha padathila 'Maarhalip poovae' song thaan romba popular aachu. Definitely a good song naan illenu sollala but enakku personala pidicha song 'En mael viluntha malai thuliyae' song.

Vairamuthu
Thambi Rahman oru isai puyal. Avaroda paadalhalilaeyae enakku mihavum pidichathu chinna chinna aasaiyum, kannukku mai alahu paadalhalum thaan. Kannukku mai alahu paadalai naan eluthi kittathatta 8-9 varudangal aagivittathu.Aanal matra isai amaippaarhal yaarum andha paattai aerka munvaravillai.Kaalathukku aetra paadal illai endru sollivittaarhal.Aanal Rahman thambi indha paattai kaettathum pannidalaam sir endru sonnaar. Indha paadalil pala alahaana aalamaana sorkal ellaam varum.'thamilukku la alahu' pondra vaarthaihal ellaam thamil naakku ucharikka koodiya paadaharhal paadinaal nanraaha edupadum endru naan Rahman Thambiyidam sonnaen. Avarum atharkku inangi Suseela ammaavai paada vaithar. Andha amma paadi mudithavudam engal iruvar kankalilum neer. Naan kavithai eluthi adharkku isai amaikka patta miga sila paadalgilil ithuvum ondru.
Krish Ashwin's comments:-Vairamuthu sonna andha particular line paadinadhu Unnimenon. P. Suseelavoda versionla andha line kidaiyaadhu. Vairamuthu confuse aayittaar poliruku.

K.S.Ravikumar
KB, Rajinikanth, Rahman pondra moondru prabala pulliyoda naan work panna mudhal padam and marakka mudiyadha padam. Rahman oru different MD. Matha MDs ellaam music discussion pottu oru 7-8 paer kooda iruppanga. But A.R Rahman appadi illa avar maathram kaiyila keyboardoda vandhaar. Avarae oru engineeraa irukkirathanaala he was able to give very good music.

Prabhudeva
(english ellaam paesi kodumai padithinaar) en dance inaala avar paattu hit aacha illa avar pattunaala en dance hit aachaannnu kaekureenga. Nichayamaa avar paattunaala thaan en dance popular aachu. He is a hard worker. Chikku pukku raeyilu song naan pannanumo vaenamaa endu yosichae 3 vaatti cancel aayiduchu. Naan panna mattaennu kooda sollittaen appuram andha song kaettapuram nalla chance miss pannittomnu ninaichen. But luckily enakku andha song kidaichithu.

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~kailasan/articles/people%20on%20rahm an.htm

dayita Goldie
dayita
dayita

Posted: 18 May 2006 at 11:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sammie

Originally posted by dayita

no suggestion yaar

i'm always a supporter only

but v hav to make d 100th page celebration a memorable one

We will Sammie.Smile

Go to top